Juan Dolio and stories I've heard

bienamor

Kansas redneck an proud of it
Apr 23, 2004
Yea though I walk through the valley of death I will fear no evil. cause I'm the meanest sumbitch in the valley. :bunny::bunny::bunny::bunny:

Africaida

Gold
Jun 19, 2009
This is thread went from boring to fascinating, now that I see Tony Montana's picture (had totally missed it) :cheeky:

Africaida

Gold
Jun 19, 2009
You saw his Canal Street timepiece?

Poor as I am , I know nothing about Rolex, wouldn't be able to tell the difference between a Canal Street watch and a real one (especially from a picture) :)

I was looking at the diamond ring on the pinky finger :cheeky:

RDKNIGHT

Bronze
Mar 13, 2017
I save my photos from traveling on Dropbox. I’m on a 24 hour lockdown where I’m at so I’m also fumando los todo naturales, haciéndome demasiado perezoso... ;)

your money is pounds the usa is dollars its all the same in the end...I know watches I was a collector in south Africa .....a hard to find rolex now is called the pepsi watch..many fakes in the world now you have to open them up and check the movements.... thats the only way

Peterj

Bronze
Oct 7, 2002
Dominican Republic
I wear my rolexes all the time and jewelry. No problems whatsoever. Los Alcarrizos, Pantoja, Gualey, etc. Then again, one look in my eyes and most people tend to re-evaluate their life decisions.

2F805FA5-BD33-4451-B35A-6E5E6C70E1E1.JPG

I always thought DR1 had some kind of screening or at least an intelligence test....guess not

Big

Apr 24, 2019
I always thought DR1 had some kind of screening or at least an intelligence test....guess not

not everyone slithers around Boca Chica, Sosua and Santo Domingo after 200a.m associating with characters of questionable moral turpitude in search of a coke fix.

wrecksum

Bronze
Sep 27, 2010
not everyone slithers around Boca Chica, Sosua and Santo Domingo after 200a.m associating with characters of questionable moral turpitude in search of a coke fix.

Best time of day to be slithering....

Blueceo

Nov 1, 2015
Hi DRReady, I lived in Juan Dolio for about a year back in 2013 and absolutely loved it. I was in what they call the new part and never had any problems at all. Felt completely safe and was out late at night and also up early for work and never experienced any dangerous situation. You just have to be aware of your surroundings and you will be fine. Good luck and welcome....

pjpine

Feb 18, 2018
Hi all, I remember my trips to Boca Chica in the early 90's. At that time the area was shady and you had to be careful of your surroundings. Recently I had visited Juan Dolio and was thinking of moving there part time in the coming years.
During this 2018 visit, I was being told these horror stories about common thievery and assault that I'd love to verify from locals currently living there...Below are some stories I've been told:

1. I shouldn't roll my vehicle windows down on the highway because if the thieves see a white tourist they will pull up on motorcycles and rob you at gun point right there on the highway.

2. Thieves would hit your moving car (either on foot or bicycle) and when you pull over to help them more individuals would jump out of the trees with machetes and rob you.

3. Should you worry if getting to your home requires you drive on a desolate road? i.e. The top of Calamares turning right heading into the Golf Coarse Resort above the highway in Juan Dolio.

4. There are prostitutes everywhere...is there local dance bars where married couples can enjoy themselves without the harassment from this?

I think maybe the fear mongering is uncalled for but wanted to hear from people who actually live there for some real life experiences.

Thank you,
Totally exaggerated information. I have lived in this area for almost 10 years during the winter. The area with hookers abound is Boca Chica. However the large Italian immigrant population has resulted in many improvements to that area. The Juan Dolio area is not considered a tough barrio. There is the orginal Juan Dolio village with Italians, Canadians and Europeans. Small town atmosphere. I do not live there but go there often and none of what you describe is the case. Then there is what I call the American Juan Dolio - past the Banco Popular bank . Many highrises along a beautiful beach with more security. A lot of winter tourists who pay a premium for more luxury. For mself there does not seem to be much community spirit mainly due to the high rise atmosphere. There are a couple of Golf Courses nearby with nice cafe & pastry shop but a car would be necessary . I travel by local bus which is convenient , cheap and fun.Hope this helps.

johne

Silver
Jun 28, 2003
Totally exaggerated information. I have lived in this area for almost 10 years during the winter. The area with hookers abound is Boca Chica. However the large Italian immigrant population has resulted in many improvements to that area. The Juan Dolio area is not considered a tough barrio. There is the orginal Juan Dolio village with Italians, Canadians and Europeans. Small town atmosphere. I do not live there but go there often and none of what you describe is the case. Then there is what I call the American Juan Dolio - past the Banco Popular bank . Many highrises along a beautiful beach with more security. A lot of winter tourists who pay a premium for more luxury. For mself there does not seem to be much community spirit mainly due to the high rise atmosphere. There are a couple of Golf Courses nearby with nice cafe & pastry shop but a car would be necessary . I travel by local bus which is convenient , cheap and fun.Hope this helps.
And that bus, if you choose to go that way(?) goes from the "high risers" just past Banco Popular to SD for 100 pesos. The metro golf course probably is 50 cents since its only 5 minutes down the road. (The golf clubs you will need to carry on the bus is an additional charge of $10.00. ) :)

Only kidding.

hedon

Mar 26, 2008
I have to laugh at some of these descriptions of robberies in Juan Dolio. Not to say they can't happen. I have stayed there a few times. The only criticism I have about Juan Dolio is that it is dead, as in nothing to do at night. Right now that makes no difference since there is a curfew. There was no major supermarket there. I had to go to San Pedro de Marcoris to find a Jumbo. Of course I look like I could be Dominican which helps. Like any where else I don't wear gold ,don"t flash money and although I speak Spanish if I'm with a Dominican woman I let her do the talking so no one immediately knows where I'm from. Last, I think having lived through some years in the South Bronx in NY helps with a bit of street smarts too

Reactions: qphotonyc

Caonabo

LIFE IS GOOD
Sep 27, 2017
I have to laugh at some of these descriptions of robberies in Juan Dolio. Not to say they can't happen. I have stayed there a few times. The only criticism I have about Juan Dolio is that it is dead, as in nothing to do at night. Right now that makes no difference since there is a curfew. There was no major supermarket there. I had to go to San Pedro de Marcoris to find a Jumbo. Of course I look like I could be Dominican which helps. Like any where else I don't wear gold ,don"t flash money and although I speak Spanish if I'm with a Dominican woman I let her do the talking so no one immediately knows where I'm from. Last, I think having lived through some years in the South Bronx in NY helps with a bit of street smarts too

Well, since there are only 12 Jumbo's within the entire nation, you're South Bronx street smarts may have helped you in finding the closest supermarket, being only 15 minutes away in an easterly direction. Continued success to you. (y)

Reactions: MarJD

johne

Silver
Jun 28, 2003
Well, since there are only 12 Jumbo's within the entire nation, you're South Bronx street smarts may have helped you in finding the closest supermarket, being only 15 minutes away in an easterly direction. Continued success to you. (y)
LOL. In addition the bus, if you should so desire, goes to SPM for 100. The cab, if you should desire, will bring you there, wait for ONE HOUR while you dilly dally around the store AND take you back for $30. (You can get back that $30 just in bi-weekly savings), or you can drive there in 15 minutes. You will need the street smarts finding your way to the front of the store where your driver is waiting for you. That's where GPS comes in handy. :unsure:

Reactions: hedon

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
LOL. In addition the bus, if you should so desire, goes to SPM for 100. The cab, if you should desire, will bring you there, wait for ONE HOUR while you dilly dally around the store AND take you back for $30. (You can get back that $30 just in bi-weekly savings), or you can drive there in 15 minutes. You will need the street smarts finding your way to the front of the store where your driver is waiting for you. That's where GPS comes in handy. :unsure:

Are you two competing for the Welcome Wagon Lady job?