Honda EU6500is Generator

JD Jones

Moderator:North Coast,Santo Domingo,SW Coast,Covid
Jan 7, 2016
Hello everyone,

Do any of our readers happen to have one of these ultra-silent Honda generators?

I know a guy who has a couple of them for sale and I am thinking about grabbing one as insurance.

JD Jones

Jan 7, 2016
I have the Honda Eu3000is quiet reliable!

Yes, I'm very familiar with those. They only produce 50 decibels or so. Quieter than a normal conversation. they were originally my first choice but I want 240V to run the A/C's.

JD Jones

Jan 7, 2016
Did you find something?

I have found quite a few of the Honda 6500, but almost all of them are very ragged looking. Despite the fact they have a LED screen that shows hours run, I have not been able to get any of the sellers to tell me how many hours use they have.

I still check the marketplace and online classifieds every morning to see what pops up.

I suspect I'll end up buying a new one at Bella on Kennedy and be done with it.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
I have found quite a few of the Honda 6500, but almost all of them are very ragged looking. Despite the fact they have a LED screen that shows hours run, I have not been able to get any of the sellers to tell me how many hours use they have.

I still check the marketplace and online classifieds every morning to see what pops up.

I suspect I'll end up buying a new one at Bella on Kennedy and be done with it.
What is the cost new?

JD Jones

Jan 7, 2016
What is the cost new?

I knew one of you was going to ask that. :LOL:

The list price of the 6500 was $4700 and around 1K for the 3000.

The salesman told me when I purchase one they will give me a break on the price, whatever that means.

The used ones I've seen run anywhere from 80 to 100K for the 6500.

I prefer to pay more for new than buy somebody else's issues. Imagine being in some sort of disaster and having to screw around trying to start a generator.

JD Jones

Jan 7, 2016
I use a step up transformer to run my 220volt works good use on my well pump ...

I used a step up for many years until I finally got tired of the nonstop issues with surges and drops.
I finally installed posts and lines and my own dedicated transformer.
As you can well imagine, the difference was day and night.

Luperon

Who empowered China's crime against humanity?
Jun 28, 2004
Honda's are so good and so high in price, makes you wonder if there are Chinese fakes being sold in the DR. Not implying these are fakes, but how would one check. Just so suspicious of anything sold in the DR.

JD Jones

Jan 7, 2016
Honda's are so good and so high in price, makes you wonder if there are Chinese fakes being sold in the DR. Not implying these are fakes, but how would one check. Just so suspicious of anything sold in the DR.

You never know. That's why I'm leaning towards buying the new one at the dealer.

JD Jones

Jan 7, 2016
I grabbed a new one today at Agencia Bella.

So here's a brain teaser for you thinkers this morning.

They loaded it with a forklift. I think I know how I'm going to get it unloaded, but I want to hear from my DR1 family on how they would do it. Weight is 250 lbs.

So, what do you think? How would you do it?

IMG_20200912_105428.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: zoomzx11

JD Jones

Jan 7, 2016
Big piece(s) of wood and set at an angle on floor and trunk and wheel it down?

I'm with you. A couple of 2" x 4" about 8' long butted against the wall and the back of the truck. It would probably slide right down to the wall and then I could pull the truck away for the last 3-4" drop.

I thought about 1" pipes too but I think it would slide too fast.

Or maybe a rope from the roof with a ratchet?

JD Jones

Jan 7, 2016
What is the market like for a propane generator invertor or one of the dual fuels??

Do you want to buy or sell? Propane generators are not very popular and I'm not sure what a dual fuel is. Here gas and diesel rule. Gas for cheap, diesel for long lasting.