Hispanic Heritage Month

Caonabo

LIFE IS GOOD
Sep 27, 2017
It would be interesting to see/hear/read a properly trained scholar's interpretation of the matter.
The problem with 96.8% of today's information, is that it is gained by quick interweb searches via computer, tablet, smartphone. Most of these result in the searcher of information being directed towards indoctrination sites controlled by those with ulterior motives of a new world society. Does anybody actually step into the library, and remove an actual book which may contain the proper historical answers any longer?
Unfortunately, this is what we have evolved into as a global society.

Reactions: Joseph NY2STI

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
I moderate a Facebook group whose participants are mainly Dominicans in the US. Most of the conversations are in English, and the members refer to Hispanic/Latino/Latin American restaurants, food markets, and cuisine as "Spanish." Sometimes they also say Hispanic or Latino, or Mexican/Dominican/Puerto Rican etc. but I thought it was interesting that "Spanish" is used interchangeably.

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
I moderate a Facebook group whose participants are mainly Dominicans in the US. Most of the conversations are in English, and the members refer to Hispanic/Latino/Latin American restaurants, food markets, and cuisine as "Spanish." Sometimes they also say Hispanic or Latino, or Mexican/Dominican/Puerto Rican etc. but I thought it was interesting that "Spanish" is used interchangeably.

The only time I hear Hispanic used in the USA is in the news/police reports.....”a Hispanic male/female.....” and on census/employment/medical forms.

“Real” people say Spanish. “He’s Spanish”, “Spanish supermarket “, etc. The only exception I would make is for Mexican restaurants. And the tendency to call anyone who looks like an Indigenous Indian “Mexican”, whether they are from Mexico, Guatemala or Peru. Americans often can’t distinguish between Cubans, Dominicans and Puerto Ricans, so they call them all Puerto Ricans.

Reactions: Chirimoya

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
The only time I hear Hispanic used in the USA is in the news/police reports.....”a Hispanic male/female.....” and on census/employment/medical forms.

“Real” people say Spanish. “He’s Spanish”, “Spanish supermarket “, etc. The only exception I would make is for Mexican restaurants. And the tendency to call anyone who looks like an Indigenous Indian “Mexican”, whether they are from Mexico, Guatemala or Peru. Americans often can’t distinguish between Cubans, Dominicans and Puerto Ricans, so they call them all Puerto Ricans.
The first time I saw "any Spanish restaurants in [name of US city]" I thought they were asking about paella and tapas type places!

Reactions: Caonabo

GusFring

Apr 15, 2020
I bring one up. Is a Basque Hispanic?
Basques never had a state. They have always been stateless.

Mexicans never identify as Spanish. Its an insult to them. They identify as Mexican and yes, they must check the Hispanic box on forms in the US.