What will it take to end the curfew?

Status
Not open for further replies.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
More from the article-
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Pockets of the western world – London, Madrid, New York – may have reached Covid seroprevalence of 15-20pc but we do not know how long those antibodies offer protection. “I don’t think anywhere in the industrial world is even close to herd immunity,” said Prof Lipsitch.

To let rip again would be to court fate. Governments are condemned to pursue a whack-a-mole strategy of targeted controls, mini-lockdowns, and quarantines, all disrupting economic recovery, and that is before the high transmission season begins and mixes with seasonal flu.

Garyexpat

Bronze
Sep 7, 2012
I have no doubt the death numbers aren't accurate... and actually don't follow them.

The # of cases hold my attention - and where they are.
The number of cases is getting better.

As to Colombia - an unrealistic plan like theirs cannot possibly be enforced and surely will lead to people
going out....IMO
Their plan is NOT working - need a a better solution

RD plans seems to be working however we have yet to see ANYWHERE that another wave can be avoided.

I have little faith in a durable(long lasting) vaccine.
New lifestyle is what we'll get - IMO - distancing and masks

I have spent much time in Colombia including 4 months last year as I had an office in Medellin. I can tell you William I believe that Colombia, probably due to their past dealings with the FARC, other para military and the drug dealers are much more capable of locking things down. I still have a manager in Medellin and a good friend in Cartagena and they tell me the police military do not play.

I feel very bad for the many dominicans that can't work. Was there a bigger employer in the country than the tourist industry? I think not. Several of my favorite restaurants in Santiago are not reopening. These were fine dinning places where people went for the experience as well as good food. I just read the Presidents wife is in favor of easing the curfews. I prefer ending them altogether but something is better than nothing.

Reactions: cavok and Caonabo

Caonabo

LIFE IS GOOD
Sep 27, 2017
and Unless you are in a Lab working on a vaccine ,, you cant help them either ..
its not within our control..

lemme help you with a slice of Serenity .

“God grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, courage to change the things I can, and wisdom to know the difference.”

Amen. 🙏

Reactions: jd426

Garyexpat

Bronze
Sep 7, 2012
1600203572117.png

barooosk

Oct 13, 2009
The DR government says the curfew is good despite more on social media asking for it to end:

The Administrative Minister of the Presidency, José Ignacio Paliza, assured that the curfew has been one of the measures that, he claims, has helped reduce coronavirus infections in the country. Paliza said that staying in the houses is a sacrifice for many, especially for the economic issue, but that "it has proven to be timely and the Dominican people in general support it." YOU MAY BE INTERESTED Curfew will remain as it is Citizens on social networks demand "no more curfew" Coronavirus in DR: 15 new deaths and 568 cases in the last 24 hours "The Dominican health system is no longer stressed, there are ICU beds and different care beds, together we have managed to flatten the curve, the measures that have been taken such as keeping people at home at night to avoid crowds have yielded results ”, the official assured when interviewed in Santiago. He also cited that the increase in taking samples, to more than 7,000, to locate the positives, is another of the provisions of the new government that has helped to flatten the curve of infections, which on Sunday reached 103,660 in total and deaths, 1,968.

If the curfew is so good, why don't we just keep in going forever

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
News of the day from the experts (like those the NY Times quotes in my daily emails from them) now says that wearing masks is probably going to be more important than any vaccine. Those experts also realize how long it takes to develop and distribute a vaccine. It takes years. There are still grave doubts that a vaccine will provide any long term immunity.

Another indication that the experts realize (as they always did) that CV19 is here, there, and everywhere to stay.

Back in the DR we have to wait and see how much longer the curfew remains in effect. There is a big push to start the curfew at 9 or 10 PM.

Caonabo

LIFE IS GOOD
Sep 27, 2017
News of the day from the experts (like those the NY Times quotes in my daily emails from them) now says that wearing masks is probably going to be more important than any vaccine. Those experts also realize how long it takes to develop and distribute a vaccine. It takes years. There are still grave doubts that a vaccine will provide any long term immunity.

Another indication that the experts realize (as they always did) that CV19 is here, there, and everywhere to stay.

Back in the DR we have to wait and see how much longer the curfew remains in effect. There is a big push to start the curfew at 9 or 10 PM.

Many thought this issue was going to be addressed last night by the President.
Unfortunately, it was not.

Reactions: JD Jones
Status
Not open for further replies.