Tourism collapses 87% in August

aarhus

Long live King Frederik X
Jun 10, 2008
That is impossible. If he figures out how to make the interest payments on time (without borrowing billions more) he'll be a genius.
That and getting Punta Cana back on track.

user123

Aug 16, 2017
That and getting Punta Cana back on track.
Since they are trying to attract visitors from Canada and US, and in Canada there is a mandatory 14 day self-isolation upon return, and some US states require the same, instead of offering free health insurance and stuff they should try and lobby the US and especially the Canadian government to exempt citizens returning to Canada with a negative Covid test from the mandatory quarantine, and if they can get that offer all the visitors free Covid test on the last day of their vacation.

ctrob

Silver
Nov 9, 2006
How will tourists (from outside DR) let in 50 friends ? That doesn't make sense.
I am not talking about marketing to Dominicans, who no matter what the price they might let 50 friends in because that's how they socialize and vacation.

That's exactly what happens. Locals use home away/airbnb/booking.com too. You don't get to choose who you market to. And the online rental hosts make vetting difficult for the owners. They want you to accept all potential renters. So yes, drop your price and allow 2 to 3 day rentals and you'll get bottom feeders and parties. And they leave bad reviews because they're asked to turn the music down. It's not worth it. Bad reviews are killers for rental business.

One thing I've done is make my min. requirements for rentals of 5 or 6 days. That keeps out the riff raff. I do rent to locals if they are referred by a reliable source, but those locals are driving up from Santo Domingo and paying $250+/nite. They don't cause problems.

singletravel

Oct 13, 2003
the other side ...

Brokers in Sosua (and Cabarete) are busiest they have been in years (well the ones I know). I know for sure SeaHorse has had the best last two month in resales than last 5 years (note, rentals still suck) and prices are stabilizing (three new homes are being built now, a record for the last fie years). Apparently people are fleeing the big cities and looking for a relative safe, secure and moderately prices living places and DR is #1 (sooner or later the virus will end, then where do you want to live?). At least the Haitians are in demand for construction :). Just the messenger make your own conclusions ....

singletravel

Reactions: aarhus

DR Solar

Bronze
Nov 21, 2016
Read about Italy and all they did to bring back tourist. 1 hotel boosting... they rented 2 rooms this past season.
SHR has very reduced rates..very. no takers

Reactions: Africaida

CristoRey

Welcome To Wonderland
Apr 1, 2014
President was quoted Saturday as saying "the only thing left to do is regularize
the tourism sector for the Dominican economy to return to normal, indicating that
the primary aspect of this is job creation
." I agree there has been a massive
trickle down effect on the economy due to the lack of tourist arrivals but it is not
the complete picture, more like pieces of the puzzle.

Reactions: aarhus

Africaida

Gold
Jun 19, 2009
Read about Italy and all they did to bring back tourist. 1 hotel boosting... they rented 2 rooms this past season.
SHR has very reduced rates..very. no takers

Agreed, read an article about European Tourism numbers were abysmal as well. It s worldwide.
A friend went to Venice recently, place was empty.

TropicalPaul

Bronze
Sep 3, 2013
That's exactly what happens. Locals use home away/airbnb/booking.com too. You don't get to choose who you market to. And the online rental hosts make vetting difficult for the owners. They want you to accept all potential renters. So yes, drop your price and allow 2 to 3 day rentals and you'll get bottom feeders and parties. And they leave bad reviews because they're asked to turn the music down. It's not worth it. Bad reviews are killers for rental business.

One thing I've done is make my min. requirements for rentals of 5 or 6 days. That keeps out the riff raff. I do rent to locals if they are referred by a reliable source, but those locals are driving up from Santo Domingo and paying $250+/nite. They don't cause problems.
I completely agree. Every time I dropped my prices I got terrible guests who were paying buttons, expected 5 star everything, trashed the rooms, had a chica every hour and then put on an atrocious review as I didn't give them 100% refund. I would rather have empty rooms than rooms filled with trash.

Meat

Aug 3, 2020
DR
Well, I can tell you Cabarete is a ghost town Monday through Friday. Saturday and Sunday the beach picks up con interno turismo. Between the Brokers I know here, some have dropped prices and some have not. Everyone is talking about the Canadians coming in November, however those renters that have reserved the same condos for years are not reserving now...
Condos (2 bed) usually $1700 a month are $1200 from some owners, but there is still no one here and I don't see that changing soon unfortunately.
Some owners have dropped the winter rental prices already over $500 a month and they are still not booked.
I have condos in Thailand and no one can even travel there now for 7 months...so it's not just here.

jad604

Nov 17, 2011
It's not worth it to drop rates just to have warm bodies coming through. What you'll get is the bottom feeders (who complain about everything, steal things, break things and leave bad reviews) and the surprise party guests that let in 50 friends and who will do more physical damage then they have in a security deposit. There's nothing to gain from it when you're managing your rentals on HomeAway/Airbnb/Booking sites. With Booking, they make vetting a renter very difficult.

I have all my villa/condo rental rates at normal non-covid prices. No renters but that's fine for now. Once international traffic picks up, I might do something then to entice a few customers. And they'll be lots of renters to choose from. But for now empty is fine.
When you reduce your prices please let me know.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
I completely agree. Every time I dropped my prices I got terrible guests who were paying buttons, expected 5 star everything, trashed the rooms, had a chica every hour and then put on an atrocious review as I didn't give them 100% refund. I would rather have empty rooms than rooms filled with trash.
Identical situation to what we have seen. The level of Aribnb people has hit a new low and it is not worth renting at this time.

Reactions: Tonchi

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
I am told that Michael Jackson did quite a bit of damage to his rental here in Cabrera.

When they spoke to him.... simple answer ...

Send me the bill.........big shot renters aren't ideal either

Jan

Bronze
Jan 3, 2002
Santo Domingo Este
www.colonialzone-dr.com
Big problem for tourism is nothing is open. They can't go out at night. No bars. No dancing. Museums and most attractions are closed. So when tourists come here what are they supposed to do? Unless they go to a large resort and don't leave there is nothing open. The local tourism industry still suffers.

Reactions: Michele Jimenez D

johne

Silver
Jun 28, 2003
The curfew is the killer. Yesterday there was a nice vibe at my facility"s pool and beach. Around one and two o'clock the place was hopping, Albeit, 99% Dominicans from the Capital. I took a picture and sent it to my daughter. I took the same picture at 4:45PM. Zero people. Went from nice bustling of families and kids enjoying the scene to absolutely nothing and loss of income to all the service help. NOT natural for Dominicans families in the least.

Reactions: Michele Jimenez D

johne

Silver
Jun 28, 2003
Ooops.... should be Michael Jordan .....

sorry
I am told that Michael Jackson did quite a bit of damage to his rental here in Cabrera.

When they spoke to him.... simple answer ...

Send me the bill.........big shot renters aren't ideal either
That's debatable WW. Spinning the DR with big shot renters could have promotion value. Just need the right kind of spinmaster.

aarhus

Jun 10, 2008
The curfew is the killer. Yesterday there was a nice vibe at my facility"s pool and beach. Around one and two o'clock the place was hopping, Albeit, 99% Dominicans from the Capital. I took a picture and sent it to my daughter. I took the same picture at 4:45PM. Zero people. Went from nice bustling of families and kids enjoying the scene to absolutely nothing and loss of income to all the service help. NOT natural for Dominicans families in the least.
Very disciplined the Dominicans

• Haha
Reactions: etolw

etolw

Banned
Oct 6, 2018
As all pools with public access are ordered to be closed until further notice, that was interesting. Close to where I live large groups of Dominicans are coming every weekend to party all night long, private parties.

Maybe coincidence but before the virus situation I believe those villas were rented out to foreigners.

Reactions: Caonabo

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
That's debatable WW. Spinning the DR with big shot renters could have promotion value. Just need the right kind of spinmaster.

Well, the owner will never have him back !
That might apply to all pro sports people...... left a sour taste

The golfer - Rickie Fowler - has a house under construction here

Now BatMan....Christian Bale ........is always welcome in that house....
and he visits regularly and brings his mother

aarhus

Jun 10, 2008
Well, the owner will never have him back !
That might apply to all pro sports people...... left a sour taste

The golfer - Rickie Fowler - has a house under construction here

Now BatMan....Christian Bale ........is always welcome in that house....
and he visits regularly and brings his mother
More overstayers jeezz