New Mask Study from Canada

Status
Not open for further replies.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
Interesting that the face mask seems better than the face shield

Face masks 'can almost halve number of new coronavirus cases'

Canadian study found covering the face indoors resulted in up to 46 per cent fewer new cases

Face masks can almost halve the number of new coronavirus cases, a study has claimed.
Covering the face indoors resulted in up to 46 per cent fewer new Covid-19 cases every week in Canada, researchers from Simon Fraser University found.
If masks had been made compulsory in enclosed spaces in the country in early July, the number of new weekly cases could have been reduced by up to 40 per cent (1,100 fewer infections) in mid-August, they claim.
Mask mandates are associated with an average weekly reduction of 25 to 31 per cent in newly diagnosed Covid-19 cases in the first few weeks after they are introduced, the research also found.
Dr Julian Tang, a consultant virologist at the Leicester Royal Infirmary, said the study adds to a growing body of evidence that masks may be effective at slowing the spread of coronavirus.
He said previous laboratory and observational studies on the effectiveness of masks suggest that the reduction in cases could be even greater than this study reports.
"The authors use a modelling approach to tease out the protective effects of masking from other interventions and conclude that wearing a mask may reduce the risk of infection by about 30 per cent," he said.
"This is lower than the above estimated benefits obtained from laboratory studies, but is still a useful and significant benefit.”

Show more

The study, which is yet to be peer reviewed, analysed the impact of mask mandates that were implemented across Ontario's 34 Public Health Units (PHUs) over the course of two months.
Researchers compared the results of PHUs that adopted mask mandates earlier to those that adopted mandates later.
Mandates for mask wearing increased self-reported mask usage in Canada by 30 percentage points, according to a survey conducted as part of the study - suggesting a big impact on citizen behaviour.
The findings come as the British Medical Association calls for masks be made compulsory in outdoor spaces in the UK where a two-metre distance cannot be maintained, as well as in offices and other working environments.
Chairman of the doctors' trade union body, Dr Chaand Nagpaul, said: "We are having to swallow a very bitter pill of the infection continuing to spread at a perilous rate. Stronger measures brought in now could be a far sweeter pill in the long run for far more people."
A recent study on face shields, which have been proposed as an alternative to face masks, found they block just two per cent of cough droplets.
"One of the primary benefits of face masks and other coverings is as source control devices to reduce the expulsion of respiratory aerosols during coughing, breathing, and speaking," the study, yet to be peer reviewed, concluded.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
Real world data is always good.

A reduction in cases of 50% unfortunately will do little to stop the spread of CV19, which is here, there and everywhere to stay.
It is just far too contagious to be eliminated by wearing masks. Stronger measures will indeed be necessary. Forever and ever, and that is a long time.

scot_tosh

May 21, 2010

A reduction in cases of 50% unfortunately will do little to stop the spread of CV19, which is here, there and everywhere to stay.
It is just far too contagious to be eliminated by wearing masks. Stronger measures will indeed be necessary. Forever and ever, and that is a long time.

But it can help to slow that spread, giving the health systems a chance to cope

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
But it can help to slow that spread, giving the health systems a chance to cope
If reducing the spread by 50% is enough to not overload the medical system when places reopen. That remains to be seen.

Experts should be able to extrapolate the results. I suspect it is not good enough.

rogerjac

Bronze
Feb 9, 2012
Today they were doing free covid 19 tests at the highschool in charimicos. In exchange they were giving out free packets with hand sanitizer and a few other thing I cant remember. I took my mujer as she heard about the free stuff. She has no symtoms but wanted the peace of mind. She went in alone and once she saw the length of the swab that they shove up your nose she declined and ran out.

Cdn_Gringo

Gold
Apr 29, 2014
I wish that events such as this were better advertised. While I rely mostly on word of mouth to learn of such things because of my poor Spanish comprehension on TV and radio, this would have good to know about. I miss dv8 and her sometimes very timely announcements. ...and her pumpkin pie (inside joke)

Reactions: nigrarosa

user123

Aug 16, 2017
Well in Toronto we've been forced to wear the masks for months now and yesterday they ordered all restaurants, gyms, cinemas... to shut down again. So where are the results?

Reactions: GusFring and nanita

Sailor51

Happy to still be here
Oct 30, 2018
Today they were doing free covid 19 tests at the highschool in charimicos. In exchange they were giving out free packets with hand sanitizer and a few other thing I cant remember. I took my mujer as she heard about the free stuff. She has no symtoms but wanted the peace of mind. She went in alone and once she saw the length of the swab that they shove up your nose she declined and ran out.
I can understand that. It is a bit uncomfortable but only lasts a few seconds. The results are worth it I think. It's good to know. Pity it's really only good for that day. You could get infected at the store on the way home.

Sailor51

Happy to still be here
Oct 30, 2018
Well in Toronto we've been forced to wear the masks for months now and yesterday they ordered all restaurants, gyms, cinemas... to shut down again. So where are the results?
It's what happens when you think you're doing good but you're not.

ramesses

Gold
Jun 17, 2005
Well, there would have been double the cases and they would have been shut down earlier and longer?

Reactions: zoomzx11

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
The results were obviously excellent, eh?

As long as nobody ever actually gets close to each other, masks work great because a 50% reduction in no spread is still a zero spread of the disease. If people get close to one another in bars, gyms, restaurants, sporting events, etc, then a 50% reduction of spreading while wearing the mask spreads the disease like wild fire until all the fuel is consumed.

It is hard to believe at this time that people don't realize that bars, restaurants, gyms, cinemas, etc can never reopen because this disease is extremely contagious and those mask are not good enough to stop it. This should be obvious from all of the reports coming in all over the world at this very moment.

Cdn_Gringo

Gold
Apr 29, 2014
The only way to not get infected is to stay away from those who are infected. Or the reverse, keep the infected away from everyone else. Masks and hand washing are only mitigation measures. If you choose to be around other people in a bar, restaurant, gym or elsewhere and are not wearing a completely self contained hazmat suit with an oxygen tank, you are at risk of getting infected. That's just the reality and people have to choose what level of exposure is acceptable to them. Govts all over the world are asking their people to stay away from each other and the people seem to be declining that invitation and drinking from non sanitized glasses, using improperly washed cutlery and gym equipment, so they are getting infected and they in turn are passing the disease on to everyone else they come into contact with. We see this here in the DR. Everyday groups of people gathering far too close to each other. Some without masks, some hugging each other, crowded public transportation the reopening of movie theaters with people sitting almost on top of each other again for hours at a time. The curfew is a failure because the population chooses not to follow the guidance from the govt. As Windy says, as long as people put themselves in situations where they get too close to each other the virus keeps moving along. Only the people can slow the spread of the disease and only if they actively make the decision to do so all the times they are out in public.

• Haha
Reactions: GusFring

CDNBear

Banned
Sep 29, 2020
Cabarete
The results were obviously excellent, eh?

As long as nobody ever actually gets close to each other, masks work great because a 50% reduction in no spread is still a zero spread of the disease. If people get close to one another in bars, gyms, restaurants, sporting events, etc, then a 50% reduction of spreading while wearing the mask spreads the disease like wild fire until all the fuel is consumed.

It is hard to believe at this time that people don't realize that bars, restaurants, gyms, cinemas, etc can never reopen because this disease is extremely contagious and those mask are not good enough to stop it. This should be obvious from all of the reports coming in all over the world at this very moment.
Here in DR where you and I live, the bars, restaurants, gyms and cinemas are in fact open!

Cdn_Gringo

Gold
Apr 29, 2014
It is obvious to most who choose to think about it but after they do, they then choose to turn a blind eye to the obvious reality. You can see this on any N.A. or DR news cast everyday. People without masks, huddled together and basically ignoring the risk they are exposing themselves and others to. Getting infected should come as no big surprise to these people. Luckily most will recover eventually maybe. Those that don't do not seem to get much sympathy from anyone else even if they were trying really hard to stay healthy and someone else who was not tagged them with CV19.

Reactions: zoomzx11

ramesses

Gold
Jun 17, 2005
I always thought the things we are asked to do like mask wearing and social distancing etc. were to help the medical system cope with the influx of patients. Thus improving the populations chances of recovering from this virus once they do get it. Or...there is a vaccine.

zoomzx11

Gold
Jan 21, 2006

What stronger measures do you have in mind forever and ever?

CDNBear

Banned
Sep 29, 2020
Cabarete
The spread of the virus is exponential. Self-isolation will slow the exponential growth but not stop it.

I entered my data into one of the covid risk calculators ( yes I use a cloth mask when needed)

This is what I got, slightly higher risk than average it says (age + alcohol consumption maybe🤔)

I am in the highest risk band for dying from COVID-19. Still not scary or I may be ignorant or stupid about risks.

1.341% is the equivalent of 1 in 74.57 people
or betting odds of 73.57/1

Survival Probability
Infection Risk5%
Mortality Risk If Infected1.341%
Survival Probability99.933%

Status
Not open for further replies.