Best location ? Best properties for our needs

rdd1955

Oct 1, 2020
wpb, florida
My wife and I are considering the DR. But we are not coming only for the lower cost of "living". We are NOT coming to live CHEAP, but BETTER.. We would be looking for a property ( house ) with at least 1/2 acre, 1 acre + would be much better because we will always have a couple of labradors. So my first ? has to do with LOCATION ? WE aren't looking for Casa del Campo LUXURY, but still a home / property in a upper scale area.. ( Punta Cana ). We do NOT need to be "ocean front" ? but reasonably close ( walking or biking distance ) ? And definitely NOT on a Golf Course. We probably have a buying budget of $350 to $ 450K BEFORE negotiating down. We would also be spending approx $50K for renovations, and have a US architech that would be coming down to advise on this. So ALL in we probably have approx $400K to invest. We certainly welcome suggestions from DR1 members

johne

Silver
Jun 28, 2003
IMHO $400,000 is not going to get you close to what you want. Of course you are not getting the ocean. And I don't think you're getting a half acre or more in an upscale area. Walking distance to water is a maybe, You didn't mention size of house ( square footage). What did you have in mind ?

Drperson

Sep 19, 2008
My wife and I are considering the DR. But we are not coming only for the lower cost of "living". We are NOT coming to live CHEAP, but BETTER.. We would be looking for a property ( house ) with at least 1/2 acre, 1 acre + would be much better because we will always have a couple of labradors. So my first ? has to do with LOCATION ? WE aren't looking for Casa del Campo LUXURY, but still a home / property in a upper scale area.. ( Punta Cana ). We do NOT need to be "ocean front" ? but reasonably close ( walking or biking distance ) ? And definitely NOT on a Golf Course. We probably have a buying budget of $350 to $ 450K BEFORE negotiating down. We would also be spending approx $50K for renovations, and have a US architech that would be coming down to advise on this. So ALL in we probably have approx $400K to invest. We certainly welcome suggestions from DR1 members
We have many beautiful lotshere in Navas ( Near Guananico) with acers here in Navas . It is about 45 minutes from Puerto Plata and beaches. It is high and cool with a breeze so yo don't need AC and no mosquitos.
CHeck out some photos at Navas1.com

JD Jones

Moderator:North Coast,Santo Domingo,SW Coast,Covid
Jan 7, 2016

All of the comments so far have been completely on the mark; the most important being "Rent, don't buy."

You don't want to dump 3-4hundred G's in a property then find out six months down the pike you've made a big mistake.

The Real Estate market cup here runneth over with properties for sale that have been on the market for years without so much as an inquiry.

The place Bob is an interesting example. Look at that price drop!

You certainly wouldn't be the first to come here, drop a big chunk of money, and a short time later be struck with the realization of "Jesus, what have I gotten into?" after a couple of cups of Vino.

Last edited:

singletravel

Oct 13, 2003
Although SeaHorse Ranch is associated with luxury there are a few run down house that can be bargained with and with your own team to remodel a little could do under 500,000 I think?) and meets al your requirements and more (sleep with your doors open, can't put a price on that). Ask for Jenny in the office ...

singletravel

Lotion

Oct 8, 2020
Spain
It's really hard to advise on a location because it's very subjective. I will like one thing but you will think the opposite and we will be looking at the same location, if you understand what I mean. I am finishing getting me residency in Cyprus this year and in 2021 I am for sure buying a house in DR, this is my goal.

johne

Silver
Jun 28, 2003
There are absolutely no reasons to believe that the prices of homes in the DR are going to go up in the near term future. You can take full advantage of this opportunity along with seeing the DR first hand by renting.Renting is a win win without question, Buying is a crap shoot and the odds are stacked against you now.
Rent and enjoy the DR.

melphis

Living my Dream
Apr 18, 2013
If you relax your standards a bit PM me. I have a 1700sq ft beach front condo that does not need renos and pets are allowed on site. It is front line and ground flloor so you and the dogs can just leave from the patio. It's 30minutes from PC airport
Let me know and I can send you more info.

Africaida

Gold
Jun 19, 2009
I have been coming to DR for nearly 10 years, I thank my stars everyday for not buying but renting (advice taken from DR1).

First, my taste has changed greatly in these years as I realized a few things during my extended stays.

Beachfront or close is the last place I would rent for example... Why? Traffic is bad and lots of absentees owners, so you will have new neighbors every other week and with covid, these villas have become the new de facto discotecas.

Another example, dogs... If they happy barkers...you run the risk of an annoyed neighbor throwing poison over your fence.

Break-in is a factor as well and quite common. So, take that into consideration . I have known people who have been visited 3 or 4 times, sometimes even during the day while they are enjoying their pool. Nothing life threatening but a annoyance to find your bag gone with credit card and passport while you were drinking an afternoon pinacolada. Again, your dogs might be at risk if the robbers believe they will be a hindrance to their visit.

Of course, the vendor and real estate agents won't tell you these things while you are house shopping. Some local fb pages will even stay silent when serious things are happening as to not scared potential buyers.

So many aspects that you won't see in a short stay, do yourself a favor, rent rent rent. Did I say Rent? You will thank us later.

My 2 cents.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
I understand your statement 'Frica,
But I feel the problems you cite are as much related to tourist areas as they are beach proximity.

Gasping Hernandez, Cabrera, Rio San Juan are examples of quiet little towns not inundated w/ tourists
Certainly, there will be others but my knowledge is limited to the North Coast.

Africaida

Gold
Jun 19, 2009
I understand your statement 'Frica,
But I feel the problems you cite are as much related to tourist areas as they are beach proximity.

Gasping Hernandez, Cabrera, Rio San Juan are examples of quiet little towns not inundated w/ tourists
Certainly, there will be others but my knowledge is limited to the North Coast.

Very true WW.

Most people start in tourist areas hence my generalization.

Reactions: JD Jones