New law on solid waste goes into effect

Dolores

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 20, 2019
Vertedero-Duquesa-Listin-Diario-e1579710751205.jpeg

The government has just cleared the new law on solid wastes. Former President Danilo Medina had vetoed the bill, but now it is law since 2 October 2020 on a rare technicality. Diario Libre reports on the good, bad and ugly parts of the General Law for Integral Management and Co-processing of Solid Wastes in the Dominican Republic.”

The good includes establishing a legal framework for the three Rs for solid wastes — reduction, reuse and recycling. The law also establishes norms for the disposal of and punishment of improper solid wastes disposal. The law puts numbers on this issue and gives guidelines for paying for these services. There is to be a Green Bond” for financing or re-financing green projects. And the law identifies where the monies will come from: a special trust fund. This fund will be financed by taxpayers and companies that produce the waste...

Continue reading...

Last edited by a moderator:

Caonabo

LIFE IS GOOD
Sep 27, 2017
Does anybody know, or care to comment on whether any of the ideas on the table by the new administration go as far as creating legitimate recycling mechanisms nationwide?
All glass products, not just Presidente beer bottles.
All plastic products.
All paper products.
All products that are successfully recycled in other nations.

NanSanPedro

Nickel with tin plating
Apr 12, 2019
Boca Chica
yeshaiticanprogram.com
Does anybody know, or care to comment on whether any of the ideas on the table by the new administration go as far as creating legitimate recycling mechanisms nationwide?
All glass products, not just Presidente beer bottles.
All plastic products.
All paper products.
All products that are successfully recycled in other nations.

Is it cost effective? Just to say we recycle dis, dat or da udder ding doesn't mean a lot if we don't know if it's cost effective.

Caonabo

LIFE IS GOOD
Sep 27, 2017
Is it cost effective? Just to say we recycle dis, dat or da udder ding doesn't mean a lot if we don't know if it's cost effective.

You have a point, but the plastics are a big issue.
If Presidente bottles can be recycled, why not Brugal or Barcelo bottles, along with other glassware.
How about the Coca Cola Bottling empire chip in on the plastic endeavour?

NanSanPedro

Nickel with tin plating
Apr 12, 2019
Boca Chica
yeshaiticanprogram.com
You have a point, but the plastics are a big issue.
If Presidente bottles can be recycled, why not Brugal or Barcelo bottles, along with other glassware.
How about the Coca Cola Bottling empire chip in on the plastic endeavour?

I would love to see plastics recycled. There are just so many of them. There are markets for recycled plastic in the USA. Not sure about here.

melphis

Living my Dream
Apr 18, 2013
Styrofoam containers should be outlawed. If MacDonald's can successfully switch to cardboard food containers the local mon and pop takeout places here should be able to convert.

JD Jones

Moderator:North Coast,Santo Domingo,SW Coast,Covid
Jan 7, 2016
I keep mentioning to you guys that there are a whole bunch of recycling plants in the Haina/San Cristobal area. Plastic, paper, bottles.

The ones who recycle are pulling down some decent money and aren't too anxious about anyone else getting involved.

I'm still trying to figure out how this new law is going to benefit them.

NanSanPedro

Nickel with tin plating
Apr 12, 2019
Boca Chica
yeshaiticanprogram.com
I keep mentioning to you guys that there are a whole bunch of recycling plants in the Haina/San Cristobal area. Plastic, paper, bottles.

The ones who recycle are pulling down some decent money and aren't too anxious about anyone else getting involved.

I'm still trying to figure out how this new law is going to benefit them.

How do you get crap to them? Do they buy anything or is it just they take what they can get gratis?

Reactions: Caonabo

JD Jones

Jan 7, 2016
How do you get crap to them? Do they buy anything or is it just they take what they can get gratis?
They get stuff from "Collectors" who in turn get it from other "collectors" who in turn........

There are groups of these guys and they all concentrate on one type of trash. So you see grossly overloaded trucks full of broken plastic chairs, others with gallon jugs, some with cartons.... we've all seen the guys in trucks full of scrap metal.

The ones making the money aren't the small guys - they live off of a few hundred pesos they get from a full truck.

There are folks here on the board who are invested in recycling but you won't see them posting here about how lucrative it is or isn't.

Caonabo

LIFE IS GOOD
Sep 27, 2017
They get stuff from "Collectors" who in turn get it from other "collectors" who in turn........

There are groups of these guys and they all concentrate on one type of trash. So you see grossly overloaded trucks full of broken plastic chairs, others with gallon jugs, some with cartons.... we've all seen the guys in trucks full of scrap metal.

The ones making the money aren't the small guys - they live off of a few hundred pesos they get from a full truck.

There are folks here on the board who are invested in recycling but you won't see them posting here about how lucrative it is or isn't.

I think the last thing the recycling ventures need are former expatriot 'property managers entering the equation.
While the recyclers may be playing a hush-hush game in the Haina/San Cristobal area, it should be up to the government to develop methods that involve the entire nation to be included in such programs, as well as strict regulations to the public regarding non-compliance of whatever regulations/measures are put into place.
There is no reason for garbage not to be placed in it's proper places.

• Love
Reactions: NanSanPedro

JD Jones

Jan 7, 2016
I think the last thing the recycling ventures need are former expatriot 'property managers entering the equation.
While the recyclers may be playing a hush-hush game in the Haina/San Cristobal area, it should be up to the government to develop methods that involve the entire nation to be included in such programs, as well as strict regulations to the public regarding non-compliance of whatever regulations/measures are put into place.
There is no reason for garbage not to be placed in it's proper places.

I agree. The ones here are here because of their proximity to the huge source of collectable stuff. When you have to transport it from other areas, profit goes out the window.