Why Can't the Dominican Republic be the Solution to the Crisis in Haiti?

cavok

Silver
Jun 16, 2014
Cabarete
Not at first. Most whites will be afraid to come down. I'm an exception. So you market to the black middle and upper class in the USA and elsewhere. Jacmel is an area to be showcased. There are others. I hear St. Marc is nice too. But you build with black tourism and eventually whites will follow.
I really have no idea why you think black middle and upper class Americans would want to go to Haiti anymore than white, Hispanic, or Asian Americans would(?).

cavok

Silver
Jun 16, 2014
Cabarete
The wealthy western countries could "fix" Haiti from the small change in their pockets if there was a will.
Haiti need to be rebuilt from the ground up with schools, hospitals, infrastructure and jobs.

I have seen the work ethic of the Haitians laboring in the DR and it looks fine to me.

Regarding the denial of race in the refusal of Western countries to step in in a meaningful way: I have lived in the DR long enough to recognize the racial bias of Dominicans in general towards Haitians.
The DR wants the Haitians to come in and do the hard labor but then get out as soon as the job is finished.

Interesting discussion that brings out our usual lines of disagreement.
Nothing going to change in our lifetime so not much use in bickering over this one.
That money would just go into the pockets of those at the top - like it always has. They'd be throwing good money after bad - and they know it.

Reactions: windeguy

cavok

Silver
Jun 16, 2014
Cabarete
I guess the only way to succeed in making it multi-racial would be to go the AI route. That way you get the tourist $ and they feel safe. If that can be done, it very well could succeed, especially if the price is right.

I'm just not an AI kinda person and would never go to a new country in an AI. Here it's different because I experience the culture daily so a brief respite in an AI is welcome every few months.

Point being that most Americans are not comfortable in a non-AI environment. So if that could be done, then yea, you could be right.
AI tourism will not fix Haiti. It will only make those at the top richer.

cavok

Silver
Jun 16, 2014
Cabarete
What Haiti needs is the western world to stop (expletive redacted) with it long enough for it to be able to get it own act together. Economic imperialist go home‼

I do not agree with you my man. In my opinion building walls is an idea being proffered by the idiots all around the world. The Dominican Republic has a interest in having a country with a stable economy and functional democratic government next to it. Only the short sided do not realize that.
Only the clueless do not realize that the DR does not have the means to save Haiti.

Naked_Snake

Bronze
Sep 2, 2008
I really have no idea why you think black middle and upper class Americans would want to go to Haiti anymore than white, Hispanic, or Asian Americans would(?).

Because for them the country is a metapolitical/quasi-religious symbol, almost at the level of Mecca for the Muslims or Jerusalem for Jewry. Ever heard about the Harlem Renaissance, or how much it brought Toussaint Louverture and the revolution into afram imagination?

• Haha
Reactions: MikeFisher

Son of a sailor

Sep 30, 2019
We are not going to agree on this issue. Yours is typical attitude of a economic colonialist ‼

that's funny, cuz to me the only way to "save" Haiti, would be to go back to them being a colony of a powerful nation, that nation would pay off any debts & set them up to produce sugar cane, tobacco and coffee, and tourism when ready.......but without the rape and slavery........and with the goal of handing over the reigns of power, the RD is in no position for that kind of undertaking.

so can you think of any volunteers?

johne

Silver
Jun 28, 2003
What Hailti needs is a first world dignitary to have a personal relationship in their lives with Haiti. Hmmm, let's try Amy Barrett nominee to the U.S. Supreme Court.
;) . So for the ever present downers here on board who will say "So, how dat help boss?" I say be creative. Think outside the box.

Reactions: NanSanPedro

NanSanPedro

Nickel with tin plating
Apr 12, 2019
Boca Chica
yeshaiticanprogram.com
What Hailti needs is a first world dignitary to have a personal relationship in their lives with Haiti. Hmmm, let's try Amy Barrett nominee to the U.S. Supreme Court.
;) . So for the ever present downers here on board who will say "So, how dat help boss?" I say be creative. Think outside the box.

Problem is, she will be busy. Mom of 7? Good God, that's a full time job and a half. Supreme Court Justice? Another job and a half. Maybe she just doesn't sleep or something.

cavok

Silver
Jun 16, 2014
Cabarete
Because for them the country is a metapolitical/quasi-religious symbol, almost at the level of Mecca for the Muslims or Jerusalem for Jewry. Ever heard about the Harlem Renaissance, or how much it brought Toussaint Louverture and the revolution into afram imagination?
If it's such a "metapolitical/quasi-religious symbol to them, why are they waiting for some luxury AI's to be built on some nice, isolated, pristine beach in order to go there? Will they help enhance the spiritual experience for them?

Naked_Snake

Bronze
Sep 2, 2008
If it's such a "metapolitical/quasi-religious symbol to them, why are they waiting for some luxury AI's to be built on some nice, isolated, pristine beach in order to go there? Will they help enhance the spiritual experience for them?

Direct those questions to Henry Louis Gates and the good people at "The Root", who regularly write the paeans of the country without doing a single thing for it (and heaping scorn on us, evil bad Domis for such as a matter of course).

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
Its not even the vacationing part. I have always criticized the likes of Oprah. She does plenty of good, including the all girls school for poor children in South Africa. The thing is that in order to get from the USA to South Africa, its very possible that a person has to fly at 30,000 feet over Haiti, if not close to it. That school should had been built in Haiti, not South Africa. The leading African Americans when investing their charity abroad it appears are mainly going to Africa. Haiti is right there, on the backyard of these people and they simply ignore it in favor of Accra or Johannesburg. There is nothing wrong being charitable to Africa, but when there's a mini-Africa close to you, what is Africa doing way ahead of Haiti as a destination of your charity? Instead of heading to Cape Town or to Lagos, you should be heading to Port-au-Prince.

CristoRey

Welcome To Wonderland
Apr 1, 2014
100% agreed.
No offense to you Haitian lovers but every single person I know
prefers to travel to places where there is stability, regardless of
their skin color.

Reactions: Big and Caonabo

cavok

Silver
Jun 16, 2014
Cabarete
Direct those questions to Henry Louis Gates and the good people at "The Root", who regularly write the paeans of the country without doing a single thing for it (and heaping scorn on us, evil bad Domis for such as a matter of course).
Why should I do that? It was your comment - not theirs.

Naked_Snake

Bronze
Sep 2, 2008
Why should I do that? It was your comment - not theirs.

If you are unwilling to see afram hypocrisy regarding this, it is your problem, not mine. That being said, it doesnt take away from what NanSanPedro said about them being a public to whom the country could be sold to.

Reactions: bob saunders

Naked_Snake

Bronze
Sep 2, 2008
To put it more succinctly and in more contemporaneous terms, cavok, Haiti is to the afram intelligentsia/educated classes, a species of "real life Wakanda", before the comic/pop culture one became the hint of an idea in Stan Lee's mind. Specially since it was the embodiment of black nationalism before the ideology even became a fashion in American, African and Caribbean circles.

johne

Silver
Jun 28, 2003
Problem is, she will be busy. Mom of 7? Good God, that's a full time job and a half. Supreme Court Justice? Another job and a half. Maybe she just doesn't sleep or something.
Two of the seven were adopted from Haiti.

bienamor

Kansas redneck an proud of it
Apr 23, 2004
Even the African Union wiggled out of admitting them! I agree with the before statements about AA's charity could be used closer to home, no that's not the homeland. screw gates and the root.

Reactions: Naked_Snake

Big

Apr 24, 2019
that nit-wit is on the same level as the Rev Al Sharpton. Every problem is the "fault of the man"

Reactions: Naked_Snake