Journalist protests the unfair firing of her sister at the National District government

Dolores

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 20, 2019
Rosa-Encarnacion-Hoy-e1602686649434.jpg
Rosa Encarnación / Hoy

Rosa Encarnación, a reporter at Noticias SIN, the leading TV news program, denounced on 13 October 2020 that her sister, who worked at the National District’s Municipality, was fired after Encarnacion had reported on TV that the city government was serving as guarantor for personal loans.

“What has happened to me is the living example of intolerance and that when people are in power in government they think they are untouchable,” complained the journalist. She referred to the intolerance of the mayor of the National District, Carolina Mejía.

The National District recently issued Resolution 25/2020 authorizing the municipality to serve as guarantor for city councilors and employees of the National District Municipality (Ayuntamiento del Distrito Nacional) that take out personal loans at the government Banco de Reservas. That is, the city government...

Continue reading...

Last edited by a moderator:

Auryn

Apr 22, 2012
Does this go to show that the Mejía apple hasn’t fallen far from the tree?

Fulano2

Bronze
Jun 5, 2011
Europe
Does this go to show that the Mejía apple hasn’t fallen far from the tree?
Absolutely. My sister in law worked at the Suprema corte untill the government change. She got fired. It cost them an arm and leg, but wanted someone else in that position, from which party you think?

Reactions: Auryn

Dolores

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 20, 2019
The point made here is that it would seem to be wrong that an employer sign as a joint guarantor for the loan of an employee. In the past it has been normal for the city government to discount the loan payments from the employee, not serve as guarantor if the employee doesn't pay. What happens if an employee is fired and leaves an enormous debt. Then the city government is responsible. Or if the person just decides they will not pay the loan.

CristoRey

Welcome To Wonderland
Apr 1, 2014
Sounds like she took one for the team.
More (future) wasteful government spending.
Its like they're hell bent on finding new ways
to futher degrade Dominican society.

Reactions: Auryn

JD Jones

Moderator:North Coast,Santo Domingo,SW Coast,Covid
Jan 7, 2016
The point made here is that it would seem to be wrong that an employer sign as a joint guarantor for the loan of an employee. In the past it has been normal for the city government to discount the loan payments from the employee, not serve as guarantor if the employee doesn't pay. What happens if an employee is fired and leaves an enormous debt. Then the city government is responsible. Or if the person just decides they will not pay the loan.

I have made small personal loans to my employees on many occasions. Key word being small. I would never cosign a loan for them. Then again, I wouldn't cosign for anyone. I don't even like the idea of deducting payments from paychecks.

People here do not understand the concept of credit ratings nor do they care. And it's really easy to take the assumption one step further and think it's just another way to score some free money from the govt.

Reactions: Auryn and Caonabo

Auryn

Apr 22, 2012
I
Sounds like she took one for the team.
More (future) wasteful government spending.
Its like they're hell bent on finding new ways
to futher degrade Dominican society.
It’s generational.