Why Can't the Dominican Republic be the Solution to the Crisis in Haiti?

CristoRey

Welcome To Wonderland
Apr 1, 2014
No, I am not an expert in anything other than how I choose to live my life, operate my investments, and run my household.
Yes, I am this humble of a man.
I see that you quoted my posting to community member CristoRey. Not sure as to why, as it was directed towards him, and not meant to be negative or cynical in nature, and I truly believe he is aware of this.
I also can attest, that if he took offense to the innocent words, he would have the stones to respond to me directly.
We can move on from this now, and enjoy the evening at hand.
I'm not offended by what people say
on this forum. Though I do get a little
irritated by those who think they know
what's best for the rest of (us) society.

CristoRey

Welcome To Wonderland
Apr 1, 2014
I think this is uncalled for and this idea is constantly repeated on here. How can you say this. There are many examples of countries that have been turned around.
Would you be willing to give us a few names
so we can compare them to Haiti?
(if the mods allow the discussion)
Personally I think the world should start looking
for a new island and move them there. Short of
that, I would agree with what windeguy said...
""Some things that are broken cannot be fixed.
Haiti is one of those things.""

Reactions: melphis

aarhus

Long live King Frederik X
Jun 10, 2008
Would you be willing to give us a few names
so we can compare them to Haiti?
(if the mods allow the discussion)
Personally I think the world should start looking
for a new island and move them there. Short of
that, I would agree with what windeguy said...
""Some things that are broken cannot be fixed.
Haiti is one of those things.""
Hhmm. I admit it to be challenging. The ones I can think of found oil. I just think. Never say never. But maybe it is as you are implying going too of topic.

CristoRey

Welcome To Wonderland
Apr 1, 2014
Hhmm. I admit it to be challenging. The ones I can think of found oil. I just think. Never say never. But maybe it is as you are implying going too of topic.
Countries like Nigeria? Venezuela?
Which countries were you thinking of ?

aarhus

Jun 10, 2008
Countries like Nigeria? Venezuela?
Which countries were you thinking of ?
Actually if I was to mention a good example of a country that in a fairly short time has developed quite a lot it could be the DR. And not because of oil and yes oil seems to in some cases to corrupt and make things worse. The DR despite continued corruption has managed to make a lot of progress. So I even kept it DR related.

CristoRey

Welcome To Wonderland
Apr 1, 2014
Actually if I was to mention a good example of a country that in a fairly short time has developed quite a lot it could be the DR. And not because of oil and yes oil seems to in some cases to corrupt and make things worse. The DR despite continued corruption has managed to make a lot of progress. So I even kept it DR related.
Move them folks to another island and
don't allow them to cut down a single tree.
Teach them how to cook with gas.
Punishment should be cut down a tree, we
cut off your hand just like they do in Haiti
when you are caught stealing.

Naked_Snake

Bronze
Sep 2, 2008
I think this is uncalled for and this idea is constantly repeated on here. How can you say this. There are many examples of countries that have been turned around. And technology does that countries can leapfrog forward. You never know. If this is the belief of this community why have this Haiti sub forum.

Yeah, but said countries have only remained dysfunctional for a decade or two. Haiti, unfortunately and depending on the metric, has between thirty years to half a century being so, and remains irritatingly unable to get its sh*t together at the political level.

Naked_Snake

Bronze
Sep 2, 2008
Yeah, but said countries have only remained dysfunctional for a decade or two. Haiti, unfortunately and depending on the metric, has between thirty years to half a century being so, and remains irritatingly unable to get its sh*t together at the political level.

And let me add to this that the list of societal things that demand their having some sort of political/economic stability only grows more urgent by the day, such as the demographical situation, as in, the inevitable spreading out of the demographic excess of the Haitian nation, which is starting to be felt even on far off places in this continent, like the US/Mexican border or Chile.

CristoRey

Welcome To Wonderland
Apr 1, 2014
And let me add to this that the list of societal things that demand their having some sort of political/economic stability only grows more urgent by the day, such as the demographical situation, as in, the inevitable spreading out of the demographic excess of the Haitian nation, which is starting to be felt even on far off places in this continent, like the US/Mexican border or Chile.
No doubt.
What has Haiti's biggest export been the last 10 years?
Haitians.

cavok

Silver
Jun 16, 2014
Cabarete
That's true, but the DR was never the total disaster that Haiti is.

johne

Silver
Jun 28, 2003
OTOH: Could Haiti be an opportunity for some outside country? My contrainian view point against most of the member's opinion is similar to taking a run down, beat up piece of real estate and turning it into a gem of a property. How can one take an entire country and say "this is a worthless piece of trash that has no value? " Like ugly women, crap houses, junk heaps of cars, . . . EVERYTHING has a value. So what is the value of Haiti? Do I hear a bid?? I don't know the answer but I would bet there are solutions to the "Haiti problem".

NanSanPedro

Nickel with tin plating
Apr 12, 2019
Boca Chica
yeshaiticanprogram.com
OTOH: Could Haiti be an opportunity for some outside country? My contrainian view point against most of the member's opinion is similar to taking a run down, beat up piece of real estate and turning it into a gem of a property. How can one take an entire country and say "this is a worthless piece of trash that has no value? " Like ugly women, crap houses, junk heaps of cars, . . . EVERYTHING has a value. So what is the value of Haiti? Do I hear a bid?? I don't know the answer but I would bet there are solutions to the "Haiti problem".

I still like the idea of Haiti becoming a US or French Protectorate. It would be difficult to convince the Americans and French to take that on.

Reactions: Yourmaninvegas

aarhus

Jun 10, 2008
I still like the idea of Haiti becoming a US or French Protectorate. It would be difficult to convince the Americans and French to take that on.
Not really realistic but only US would work I think.

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
Dude, I don't know you. But you are dating yourself my man. I am not disagreeing with you that Haitians need to put the work in to fix their own country.

Using an analogy: after the game has been rigged for years, and huge bankrolls have been build by the those who actually rigged the game. It is not enough for those who have benefited from their unethical gains to simply walk away and say "you guys fix this mess".

We are not going to agree on this issue. Yours is typical attitude of a economic colonialist ‼
Actually his voice is the voice of experience and yours...not so much.

CristoRey

Welcome To Wonderland
Apr 1, 2014
OK. Low ballers get zero. Speculators get millions, billions or lose millions or billions. Sorry CR you can't play. :cool:
I thought I was being more than fare.
Sometimes in life just have to cut your losses, lol.

Reactions: JD Jones

johne

Silver
Jun 28, 2003
I thought I was being more than fare.
Sometimes in life just have to cut your losses, lol.
Listen buster, what do you think this is "a fire sale". Hmmmm , perhaps it would be if there were any trees to burn into charcoal. Dey
done gone, ain't dey??

Reactions: JD Jones