DomYorkas vs Tourist. No matter where
they are arriving from it's still bringing
needed money into the local economy...
so +positive in my opinion.
agreeded

johne

Silver
Jun 28, 2003
Jet Blue still does not ell the middle seat. That said JFK SDQ is an extremely popular route for the airlines, Nothing will stop folks from heading home.
And I learned something yesterday :When a particular flight is sold-out they remove that flight from further sales from their web page.

CristoRey

Welcome To Wonderland
Apr 1, 2014
Jetblue, Newark to Punta Cana
starts Nov. 19th according an article published on DT about 10 min ago.

Caonabo

LIFE IS GOOD
Sep 27, 2017
Jet Blue still does not ell the middle seat. That said JFK SDQ is an extremely popular route for the airlines, Nothing will stop folks from heading home.

Yes, you are correct in regards to the JFK/SDQ roundtrip route.
I will be utilizing this same route later this week, on the first leg of an itinerary, albeit via Delta not Jet Blue, in order to fulfill a civic responsibility.

melphis

Living my Dream
Apr 18, 2013
With Air Canada flying at 30-40% full, WestJet made the right decision to delay. Simply not feasible.
IMO the right decision would be not offer something, then cancel it with minimum warning and keep people's money. If they gave your money back that would be responsible. Keeping it and just offering a in house credit is an asshole move.

Our son booked on Friday to the DR and they cancelled Sunday. Only offering a WestJet credit that expires in 2 years.

NanSanPedro

Nickel with tin plating
Apr 12, 2019
Boca Chica
yeshaiticanprogram.com
IMO the right decision would be not offer something, then cancel it with minimum warning and keep people's money. If they gave your money back that would be responsible. Keeping it and just offering a in house credit is an asshole move.

Our son booked on Friday to the DR and they cancelled Sunday. Only offering a WestJet credit that expires in 2 years.

How legal is that?

melphis

Living my Dream
Apr 18, 2013
How legal is that?
It shouldn't be but they claim Covid so the government agency that enforces passenger rights in Canada puts there head back in the sand and does nothing. He is dealing with visa to stop the charges and has talked to management at WJ as it was about 40 hours between booking and WJ canceling the flight. So far no one will do the right thing.

It was well over $6000 for 2 people, 2 weeks at a 5 star. If it was a couple hundred dollars no big deal. He can't take the 6k hit and rebook with AC and WJ has no firm idea when they will return DR service. Arrogant, irresponsible jerks is what they are.

Andre14615

Banned
May 31, 2019
When I flew down from MIA to STI
on Sept 17th, I'd say it was a 60/40%
DomYorkas vs Tourist. No matter where
they are arriving from it's still bringing
needed money into the local economy...
so +positive in my opinion.
Nah! The Domyorks are sending remittances. When they return they aren't spending money in hotels, restaurants, bars, etc. They are living with tio, tia, and abuela receiving home cooked meals. Besides theyre remittances theyre not really benefiting the economy like a true tourist would.

Reactions: Riva_31

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
Nah! The Domyorks are sending remittances. When they return they aren't spending money in hotels, restaurants, bars, etc. They are living with tio, tia, and abuela receiving home cooked meals. Besides theyre remittances theyre not really benefiting the economy like a true tourist would.
Maybe where you go in the DR. The Domyorks here in Jarabacoa are currently filling the restaurants, buying lots of booze and food in the local stores, renting cars and ATVs, building second floors on their mother house....etc. I would say that they are benefiting the local economy much more than the average tourist. My wife's brother was here for six weeks, employed 4 guys to help him finish his house, spending about 40 K $US in the local hardware stores...etc. And yes the lines are still long at Western Union.

Reactions: Caonabo

CDNBear

Banned
Sep 29, 2020
Cabarete
Maybe where you go in the DR. The Domyorks here in Jarabacoa are currently filling the restaurants, buying lots of booze and food in the local stores, renting cars and ATVs, building second floors on their mother house....etc. I would say that they are benefiting the local economy much more than the average tourist. My wife's brother was here for six weeks, employed 4 guys to help him finish his house, spending about 40 K $US in the local hardware stores...etc. And yes the lines are still long at Western Union.
Statistics from Banco Central support this.
They tend to stay longer than the average tourist also.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
It shouldn't be but they claim Covid so the government agency that enforces passenger rights in Canada puts there head back in the sand and does nothing. He is dealing with visa to stop the charges and has talked to management at WJ as it was about 40 hours between booking and WJ canceling the flight. So far no one will do the right thing.

It was well over $6000 for 2 people, 2 weeks at a 5 star. If it was a couple hundred dollars no big deal. He can't take the 6k hit and rebook with AC and WJ has no firm idea when they will return DR service. Arrogant, irresponsible jerks is what they are.

The credit card will dispute the charge and win - I have seen it recently via my friend

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009

They build additions to houses..... and more as Saunders says
in these cases they are much bigger contributors to the local economy than any 'passing by' tourist

Andre14615

Banned
May 31, 2019
They build additions to houses..... and more as Saunders says
in these cases they are much bigger contributors to the local economy than any 'passing by' tourist

We'll just have to agree to disagree. On this forum everyone "knows" someone who is building this and that. In reality, the cost of living in NYC are high and theyre barely making it themselves. Yet somehow theyre sending money and building additions to homes in the DR. Hogwash!

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
Have you seen where these workers live in NoAmerica - I have

There are dorm type facilities for them..... not $$$
They spend close to ZERO in their work country - most gets fed home

Cowboys shouldn't beat their horses !!
hahaha

Reactions: bob saunders

CDNBear

Banned
Sep 29, 2020
Cabarete
I
We'll just have to agree to disagree. On this forum everyone "knows" someone who is building this and that. In reality, the cost of living in NYC are high and theyre barely making it themselves. Yet somehow theyre sending money and building additions to homes in the DR. Hogwash!
If I understand correctly, the average money spent by those groups can be found here

Gasto turístico y estadía promedio
Extranjeros No Residentes1993-2020
Dominicanos Residentes1993-2020
Dominicanos No Residentes1993-2020

Caonabo

LIFE IS GOOD
Sep 27, 2017

The party of four in front of me in Jumbo the other day spent 27mil pesos on groceries for their condo stay.
The party of five in front of me in Iberia the other day spent 32 mil pesos on groceries for their condo stay.
Both parties paid in cash, not credit cards. Brand new 2000 peso notes. Safe to say they just changed their money over?
A large amount ARE utilizing the condo/AirBNB modules.
Along the southern tier, they are ALSO utilizing local restaurants that are open.
There is a huge influx of money beginning to appear. It is for this reason as well that many locals are clamoring to ease current restrictions, and OPEN IT ALL UP!

Caonabo

LIFE IS GOOD
Sep 27, 2017

And yes as well, there are many renovations occurring here along the southern tier as well. Many properties that were sleeping for several months, are ramping up operations before the Navidad.
Dominicans always return en masse for the Navidad, and this year there very well be more accomodations available to them that would have been previously overpriced or blocked out.

CDNBear

Banned
Sep 29, 2020
Cabarete
Dominicans always return en masse for the Navidad, and this year there very well be more accomodations available to them that would have been previously overpriced or blocked out.

The most entertaining flight I ever had was a flight from FRA to SDQ in the beginning of December. One 10 hour party with music and songs and booze, and the flight attendants smiled and had fun too. Admit that this was many years ago when the economy and times were better.

Reactions: Caonabo