stoplight at playero?

CDNBear

Banned
Sep 29, 2020
Cabarete
Foreigners will often make that turn because a solid green light in many countries allows for a left turn when there is no on coming traffic.
I would need to find the traffic law in the DR on this point as it concerns the light in question by Playero to verify that a solid green light does not allow a left turn..

Ley 241-67 Ley sobre Tránsito de Vehículos

Article96.- Traffic lights.
a) Green Light or “Cross”.

1. The driver of any vehicle in front of this signal may continue in the same direction or turn, to the right, or to your left to enter another public road, as long as there is no sign or notice prohibiting such turns and that its movement does not close or obstruct traffic within the intersection.

dgii.gov.do/vehiculosMotor/legislacion/Documents/Ley241-67.pdf

What the AMET officer in question says who knows, and of course it is your fault if you collide.
Btw. because a gringo drives the car, it is assumrf his fault unless he can curse fluent in Spanish. Always

chrisgy

Jan 15, 2013
I am going to ask them tomorrow or Tuesday. They are rarely at that light but I'll ask them wherever I see them about that light at playero. I'll let you guys know what they say.
Where's AMET when you need one. Couldn't find one in Sosua today

XTraveller

Aug 21, 2010
Ley 241-67 Ley sobre Tránsito de Vehículos

Article96.- Traffic lights.
a) Green Light or “Cross”.

1. The driver of any vehicle in front of this signal may continue in the same direction or turn, to the right, or to your left to enter another public road, as long as there is no sign or notice prohibiting such turns and that its movement does not close or obstruct traffic within the intersection.

dgii.gov.do/vehiculosMotor/legislacion/Documents/Ley241-67.pdf

What the AMET officer in question says who knows, and of course it is your fault if you collide.
Btw. because a gringo drives the car, it is assumrf his fault unless he can curse fluent in Spanish. Always
If read carefully its says to turn left or right to "ENTER ANOTHER PUBLIC ROAD". question is are you entering a public road or a private parking? I do not know the particular situation.

CDNBear

Banned
Sep 29, 2020
Cabarete
New times, old tricks doesn't work anymore. Do not play this card at the crossing

I am not a gentleman, I'm a general 🤬🤬🤬🤬

JD Jones

Moderator:North Coast,Santo Domingo,SW Coast,Covid
Jan 7, 2016
New times, old tricks doesn't work anymore. Do not play this card at the crossing

I am not a gentleman, I'm a general 🤬🤬🤬🤬

Didn't take long for him to apologize once he learned there was a video.

Reactions: CDNBear

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
If read carefully its says to turn left or right to "ENTER ANOTHER PUBLIC ROAD". question is are you entering a public road or a private parking? I do not know the particular situation.
The law allows for a left turn on a solid green light. Anyone given a ticket for turning left into Playero when there was a clear path to do so was given a ticket incorrectly since there is no sign there indicating otherwise.

Seamonkey

Bronze
Oct 6, 2009
The law allows for a left turn on a solid green light. Anyone given a ticket for turning left into Playero when there was a clear path to do so was given a ticket incorrectly since there is no sign there indicating otherwise.

To clarify....it's not a solid green light. It's a straight ahead arrow. I agree with you about not having a sign. The only sign posted is "no right turns".

cavok

Silver
Jun 16, 2014
Cabarete
Yes, it's a straight ahead arrow. My understanding is that you cannot turn left if the left arrow is not lit when there is a green straight ahead arrow.

Going east towards Super Pola, the light there has a solid green light. In this case, you can turn left even if the left turn arrow isn't lit.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
A straight arrow changes my take too..... straight means no turns

Full, round green allows turns

So-
the 2 lights are left arrow & straight arrow

can't be clearer for me

Reactions: JD Jones

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
To clarify....it's not a solid green light. It's a straight ahead arrow. I agree with you about not having a sign. The only sign posted is "no right turns".
If there is just a left green arrow and a straight green arrow, then a left turn is only on the left arrow.

Reactions: JD Jones

rogerjac

Bronze
Feb 9, 2012
Well Im glad this is all cleared up. Ill remember all the comments next time Im sitting there in the left turn lane with the green arrow for striaght through and all the cars and motos are passing on my left as they turn left. Gringos and doms honking as they do so.

cavok

Silver
Jun 16, 2014
Cabarete
Well Im glad this is all cleared up. Ill remember all the comments next time Im sitting there in the left turn lane with the green arrow for striaght through and all the cars and motos are passing on my left as they turn left. Gringos and doms honking as they do so.
Very true. A lot of people turn left there into Playero when the left turn arrow isn't lit, although some do wait for the green arrow. I had to bribe my way out of a ticket at that kind of light in Santiago, so I'm going to wait for the green arrow. Just because AMET isn't giving a ticket for that today doesn't mean they won't tomorrow. Look at how they enforce the helmet law in Sosua.

As far as motos go, they couldn't care less about arrows or what color the light is.