Cocaine via Caribe Tours?

Dolores

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 20, 2019
Cocaina-Caribe-Tours-El-Caribe.jpg

The National Drug Control Agency (DNCD) reported seizing two suitcases with 10 packages of a white powder suspect to be cocaine weighing 95 lbs on board a Caribe Tours bus. A canine unit sniffed out the drugs when the bus stopped at the military checkpoint at Copey in Montecristi. The drugs were inside 10 packages inside two black suitcases in the luggage section of the bus.

32-year old driver, Luis Javier Peña was arrested. The bus was traveling on the Manzanillo-Santo Domingo route.

On board were 13 other people who were investigated and released by the authorities. The vehicle, the drugs and the detained driver were taken to the DNCD in Montecristi for the corresponding legal procedures.

Read more in Spanish:El Caribe

22 October 2020

Continue reading...

Last edited by a moderator:

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
Another failed drug war story. Keep 'em coming. They will go on forever in a war that cannot be won.

Cdn_Gringo

Gold
Apr 29, 2014
I think detaining the bus driver and the bus is a bit over the top and probably not supported by the evidence that a single passenger is responsible for the contents of their own suitcase. What happened to the other passengers who suddenly had no way to get to their original destination?

Reactions: jstarebel

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
I had appreciated if your ego did not force you to always send this comment to drug related seizures.

What do you think should be done?
Not about ego, but if you think so, so be it. It is about the extremely destructive nature of the failed drug war.

Legalize, regulate and treat the addicted as a medical condition and not criminals. Like Portugal. The failed drug war cannot be won.
Prohibition never works.

Sailor51

Happy to still be here
Oct 30, 2018
Not about ego, but if you think so, so be it. It is about the extremely destructive nature of the failed drug war.

Legalize, regulate and treat the addicted as a medical condition and not criminals. Like Portugal. The failed drug war cannot be won.
Prohibition never works.
In the 1920's the US created the federl narcotics bureau. Now known as the dea. The idea was to keep drugs (coke, heroin, pot) from the US and "fighting" crime.
In over 100 years, nothing has changed with the exception of newer and more powerful narcotics. Some manufatured with the gov.'s blessing.
So I must adamently agree, fix the adiction problem. Prison does not work.
p.s. I do believe that the Netherlands has a program for addicts. Come to the clinic, get tested and get the shot of the day. Then they go to work responsibly.

Reactions: windeguy

drstock

Silver
Oct 29, 2010
Cabarete
I think detaining the bus driver and the bus is a bit over the top and probably not supported by the evidence that a single passenger is responsible for the contents of their own suitcase. What happened to the other passengers who suddenly had no way to get to their original destination?
It didn't take long for this thread to go off topic, but replying to Cdn_Gringo's on-topic post, I don't think I agree. If the packages didn't belong to any of the passengers and there was no paperwork to cover it as part of Caribe Tours' transport service, who else would be responsible?

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
It didn't take long for this thread to go off topic, but replying to Cdn_Gringo's on-topic post, I don't think I agree. If the packages didn't belong to any of the passengers and there was no paperwork to cover it as part of Caribe Tours' transport service, who else would be responsible?
The failed drug war is the crux of the matter. Wait until tomorrow's news for a similar story.

zoomzx11

Gold
Jan 21, 2006
I had appreciated if your ego did not force you to always send this comment to drug related seizures.

What do you think should be done?
Since you asked.
The smuggler should have put the blow inside a Pelican case. They are the hard sided plastic cases made for cameras and delicate equipment.
They are designed to be waterproof and air tight and even have little screw that can be opened and closed for the pressures change on aircraft.

I had a Miami customs agent go for a hammer to open my Pelican case after it held the negative pressure from the plane.
I let him struggle ineffectually for a time until the sight of the hammer stimulated my memory of the pressure screw.

Sloppy foolish smugglers are the usually the ones caught.
Biggest beneficiary of the war on drugs is the police agencies.
If they ever won the war the world could retire half its drug policemen and women.

I have to agree with Windy about the "war" and its being the biggest waste of money and lives in history.
Hard to believe so much money and effort spent so ineffectually.

The stories do make for good tv though.
My fave smuggler was a California surfboard maker who achieved fame from the movie Endless Summer.
Used interior of surfboards to conceal reefer.

Joseph NY2STI

Mar 22, 2020

You raise an interesting point that the story doesn't directly address. Was there paperwork for the suitcases or not? If not, why is the driver responsible and not one of the baggage handlers who could have placed them in the cargo hold? I'm not expecting a follow up article, but this can't be good p.r. for Caribe.

Reactions: slowmo and cavok

johne

Silver
Jun 28, 2003

Prohibition never works.
"Legalize". Spoken like a true liberal that you are. Any thoughts on that subject??

Reactions: zoomzx11

CDNBear

Banned
Sep 29, 2020
Cabarete
;)

Prohibition never works.
Thanks for your answer. I do not have solutions or strong opinions to the general drug war problem, but do you think the responsible drug dealers should not be prosecuted in this case?

The law should not be obeyed?

Ecoman1949

Born to Ride.
Oct 17, 2015
"Legalize". Spoken like a true liberal that you are. Any thoughts on that subject??
Legalization is not always the panacea it is thought to be based on what has happened once weed was legalized in Canada. The fact is illegal weed suppliers are doing well and, in some cases better, after legalization. Drug dealers are very adept at changing with the times. They can supply stronger products at cheaper prices which ensures customer loyalty. Even with legalization and approved grow ops, shortages still occur and drug dealers are quick to fill the void. Police continue to expend resources chasing drug dealers because they rob the government of tax resources. To put it bluntly, same shit, different day.

Reactions: NanSanPedro

zoomzx11

Gold
Jan 21, 2006

"liberal"!!!!
Dont be tossing Windy over here.
He is some sort of Libertarian diluted with pragmatism.
The drug war is a pet peeve to any pragmatist.

About the bus stop and catch of all that coke. I have driven past that particular police checkpoint and been stopped.
Never saw any dogs.
You think they knew exactly where to look?

slowmo

Aug 1, 2016
;)
Thanks for your answer. I do not have solutions or strong opinions to the general drug war problem, but do you think the responsible drug dealers should not be prosecuted in this case?

The law should not be obeyed?
This looks to me like a case where it is going to very difficult to prove beyond a reasonable doubt that the bus driver was involved.

slowmo

Aug 1, 2016
Legalization is not always the panacea it is thought to be based on what has happened once weed was legalized in Canada. The fact is illegal weed suppliers are doing well and, in some cases better, after legalization. Drug dealers are very adept at changing with the times. They can supply stronger products at cheaper prices which ensures customer loyalty. Even with legalization and approved grow ops, shortages still occur and drug dealers are quick to fill the void. Police continue to expend resources chasing drug dealers because they rob the government of tax resources. To put it bluntly, same shit, different day.
I realize it is off topic but can't help but try to clear up a couple of things from Ecoman's post. There have been no shortages since legalization and the competition to legal pot is out in the open, being sold openly at many native reservations. Police have more time to focus on hard drugs.