Coronavirus - In the DR

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cdn_Gringo

Gold
Apr 29, 2014
Anyone concerned with catching this virus shouldn't be sitting in a restaurant with or without a mask. Pick up your food if you must then go home to eat it. I agree, wearing a mask only to take it off when you are surrounded by other people or service staff that interact with lots of other people all day long doesn't make any sense. Some just don't understand that it is the choices you make for yourself that can influence whether or not you are at increased risk. We already know there are lots of others who can't see past their own wants and desires so it is up to you to protect yourself. Wearing a mask some of the time is not intended to allow you to ignore common sense and congregate with as many other people as you want at other times. Unfortunately there are far too many who just don't get it as evidenced by the infection rates globally these days. Being outside is better than inside but in the end if there are others around so is the virus in all likelihood.

Reactions: zoomzx11

malko

Campesino !! :)
Jan 12, 2013
When I brought this up with respect to comparing Malaria .. Someone actually said something like " oh but thats not a fair comparison. you have control over spreading Covid.. , cant control Mosquitos"..
No kidding ..thats the whole point .

A mosquito at least gives you a WARNING before it stings you. This Virus can be AIRBORNE and coming from the Person shopping in the next Isle at the Grocery store ... unless your N95 Mask is secure and snug and you are an expert at how to wear it .. you WILL be exposed , just a matter of when . not If ..

trying to control this Virus by FORCING others to wear a mask. and WHERE and WHEN to wear it ,
quite possibly the most ridiculous Social Engineering Experiment of all time .

I think Hanging Garlic around the Neck has a better chance of protecting one From Vampires .

The funniest and most ridiculous thing is being asked to wear a Mask to ENTER a Restaurant, and then being allowed to take it off and just CHAT away ,with anyone who will have a conversation with you... LOL

The Self proclaimed expert/ Covid Freak Governor here in NJ literally just got SNAGGED doing exactly that.. at a Bar in Hoboken, and now is quarantining himself ..
LMAO

Mods please dont delete my post , its important . a Bar is a Bar,... in the USA, or the DR.. its the Concept

The concept of wearing a mask when entering and moving around a restaurant was introduced at the same time as the obligation to save clients name, phone number and email ( for 2 weeks, then obliged to destroy ) AND no serving any client who is not seated.

The thought process is, we do not need to contact the 12k people who were in the restaurant over the course of 2 weeks, but only those who were potentially in contact/near each other, in case of a positive covid case.

That is here in europe, so no idea if the DR just did a paste-and-copy of measures taken elsewhere, or if their thought process is the same

zoomzx11

Gold
Jan 21, 2006
Anyone concerned with catching this virus shouldn't be sitting in a restaurant with or without a mask. Pick up your food if you must then go home to eat it. I agree, wearing a mask only to take it off when you are surrounded by other people or service staff that interact with lots of other people all day long doesn't make any sense. Some just don't understand that it is the choices you make for yourself that can influence whether or not you are at increased risk. We already know there are lots of others who can't see past their own wants and desires so it is up to you to protect yourself. Wearing a mask some of the time is not intended to allow you to ignore common sense and congregate with as many other people as you want at other times. Unfortunately there are far too many who just don't get it as evidenced by the infection rates globally these days. Being outside is better than inside but in the end if there are others around so is the virus in all likelihood.

Exactly!
Smart money sends the nearest motoconcho to the restaurant.

CDNBear

Banned
Sep 29, 2020
Cabarete
Wearing mask outside in free air IF you keep a couple of meters distance to others, have no scientific evidence regarding avoiding virus spread
(please correct me if wrong)

And the mask does not help me, it (may) protect others from my sneeze.

I am happy that I can enjoy the beach without mask where I live, without fear of any raid. Hopefully that doesn't change.

But I also understand that rules have to be clear and not up to discussion, so I wear a mask almost everywhere else in public.
Sometimes only to avoid any raid/PN

Inconvenient yes.
But not a major PITA imo.

P.S I have not seen evidence that you can catch covid-19 by consuming food either.

Reactions: JD Jones

CDNBear

Banned
Sep 29, 2020
Cabarete
The urban Dominican rapper Shelow Shaq and the Omega musicians were arrested at a clandestine party.
They were arrested when they entertained an activity in a residence in Tamboril in violation of the curfew

The authorities might try to set an example here, to show that anybody can get in trouble partying violating the curfew.

That might be a challenge if curfew is extended during Christmas when the Dominicans abroad comes home to party with family.

JD Jones

Moderator:North Coast,Santo Domingo,SW Coast,Covid
Jan 7, 2016
The urban Dominican rapper Shelow Shaq and the Omega musicians were arrested at a clandestine party.
They were arrested when they entertained an activity in a residence in Tamboril in violation of the curfew

The authorities might try to set an example here, to show that anybody can get in trouble partying violating the curfew.

That might be a challenge if curfew is extended during Christmas when the Dominicans abroad comes home to party with family.

There's no love lost between Omega and the authorities. The Police are going to have their hands full this Christmas season.

Reactions: CDNBear

CDNBear

Banned
Sep 29, 2020
Cabarete
Seems they already are pretty busy enforcing curfew several places, reports from different parts of the country, e.g

250 soldiers and police will be in the streets of the neighborhoods of Puerto Plata in the company of prosecutors, to avoid violation of the curfew, said operation is led by Generals Minaya Herrera and Jiménez from the Police and the Dominican Army.

The National Police reported that during the national curfew patrol, a total of 3,458 people were detained, of which 1,490 were in groups, violating physical distancing and without masks.

Reactions: cavok and JD Jones

aarhus

Long live King Frederik X
Jun 10, 2008
Seems they already are pretty busy enforcing curfew several places, reports from different parts of the country, e.g

250 soldiers and police will be in the streets of the neighborhoods of Puerto Plata in the company of prosecutors, to avoid violation of the curfew, said operation is led by Generals Minaya Herrera and Jiménez from the Police and the Dominican Army.

The National Police reported that during the national curfew patrol, a total of 3,458 people were detained, of which 1,490 were in groups, violating physical distancing and without masks.
This seems to be a trend many places in the world. More restrictions and compliance. Some people though have been predicting that it will be over in a couple of weeks.

JD Jones

Jan 7, 2016
This seems to be a trend many places in the world. More restrictions and compliance. Some people though have been predicting that it will be over in a couple of weeks.

The number of resources they throw at the problem is not sustainable. It is a very familiar pattern of approaching issues here.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
I am still wondering when the revolt will start in earnest here like we are seeing in other parts of the world as cases rise again and restrictions
on human rights are being put back on. For how many years will people take it? Nothing about this will be over in a couple of weeks.

JD Jones

Jan 7, 2016
I am still wondering when the revolt will start in earnest here like we are seeing in other parts of the world as cases rise again and restrictions
on human rights are being put back on. For how many years will people take it? Nothing about this will be over in a couple of weeks.

It has already started, albeit pacific. There are articles almost every day in the local news about large gatherings being broken up.
The latest was a large gathering at a Colmadon at km 17 of Autopista Duarte with hundreds of persons.

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
Just as the EU strengthens restrictions on human rights and cases rise "dramatically" in the US?
It will be loosened here next week?

The tremendous lack of tourists here will continue. There are about 9 flights a day into PUJ, normally 9 flights come in in 2 or 3 hours. People from the EU are not coming here at all. Some countries insist on 14 day quarantine coming back to their country. No one wants a vacation like that.

Regardless of the the rhetoric it will be quite awhile for the tourist trade to even come close to as it was before Covid 19.

JD Jones

Jan 7, 2016
Here is the article I mentioned in post #5253

zoomzx11

Gold
Jan 21, 2006
The tremendous lack of tourists here will continue. There are about 9 flights a day into PUJ, normally 9 flights come in in 2 or 3 hours. People from the EU are not coming here at all. Some countries insist on 14 day quarantine coming back to their country. No one wants a vacation like that.

Regardless of the the rhetoric it will be quite awhile for the tourist trade to even come close to as it was before Covid 19.
Nothing is coming back until there is a substantial death and case reduction.
Overcome the virus spread and the economy comes back, it is that simple.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
Nothing is coming back until there is a substantial death and case reduction.
Overcome the virus spread and the economy comes back, it is that simple.
And if there ends up being no way to overcome the virus spread? What then?

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004

One year? Two years? More?

We will only know in a couple of years if vaccines are really effective and that is with "warp speed" development of a vaccine.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
I am under the impression that there are a number of vaccines that "work" currently in safety trials.
Russia and China had a vaccine that may or may not "work" that was released months ago.
China gave it to soldiers in the army and Russia released it to the general public.
Of course with both countries they cannot be relied on to be truthful about anything that could reflect poorly on either country.
There is no way to know if a vaccine works for a period of time if you don't wait for that period of time to see the results.
That is why it takes years to know. Giving vaccines to large amounts of people means nothing until the results are in
years down the road.

Status
Not open for further replies.