Flu vaccine

Neargale

Jul 4, 2013
Where does one get vaccinated for the flu near Puerto Plata? is the vaccine for over 65 available?

thank you.

Taylor

Buy the ticket, take the ride
Jan 28, 2005
Bump. Does the regular Doctor have them or do they have to order them?

Meemselle

Just A Few Words
Oct 27, 2014
I thought there was a pharmacist giving them, but apparently not. I am calling my PCP this week to check. Or I may get one in US in November if it's not too late in the season.

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
Several years ago I checked with a private immunization place in Puerto Plata located in a small plaza across from the side of Bournigal. Go to the light and to go parallel to side of Bournigal and go down into the small plaza and check there. I didn't get it because they did not have strong version of senior citizens. Also it was very expensive.

Where I go now is to the official place in Santiago where they have all sort of injectible meds. I got my flu shot about 10 days ago and have gotten tetanus asd well a pneumonia and will get my covid-19 when it becomes available. The place is UNIVANC (also one in SD and Ozama next to CMED). In Santiago it is in a plaza on Av Bartolome Colon. Tel 829-253-6562/809-724-9475. As I recall I paid RD$2000 for my flu shot. Note much you can't get there,

Reactions: LindseyKaufman

Neargale

Jul 4, 2013
Well, things are looking dim. I went to Salud Publica in Puerto Plata last week and they said they would have the flu vaccine for seniors on Monday this week. I called yesterday and again asked whether they had the version for seniors. I was told yes and they had all the vaccines. Went there this morning; no vaccines and they tell me there are no other version. 1 size fits all.

I called Bournigal at the Centro de vacunas: yes they have vaccine for influenza and nobody in this country has the senior version.

I called the place mentioned by Ken above, UNIVANU in Santiago. Yes they have influenza vaccine but nobody on the island has the version for seniors. Either Ken was lied to or I am being lied to. Who knows.

Hopefully the regular influenza vaccine is better than none. Any Public Health clinic does it for free - when they have it.

Reactions: Ken

drstock

Silver
Oct 29, 2010
Cabarete
Well, things are looking dim. I went to Salud Publica in Puerto Plata last week and they said they would have the flu vaccine for seniors on Monday this week. I called yesterday and again asked whether they had the version for seniors. I was told yes and they had all the vaccines. Went there this morning; no vaccines and they tell me there are no other version. 1 size fits all.

I called Bournigal at the Centro de vacunas: yes they have vaccine for influenza and nobody in this country has the senior version.

I called the place mentioned by Ken above, UNIVANU in Santiago. Yes they have influenza vaccine but nobody on the island has the version for seniors. Either Ken was lied to or I am being lied to. Who knows.

Hopefully the regular influenza vaccine is better than none. Any Public Health clinic does it for free - when they have it.
Several years ago I checked with a private immunization place in Puerto Plata located in a small plaza across from the side of Bournigal. Go to the light and to go parallel to side of Bournigal and go down into the small plaza and check there. I didn't get it because they did not have strong version of senior citizens. Also it was very expensive.

Where I go now is to the official place in Santiago where they have all sort of injectible meds. I got my flu shot about 10 days ago and have gotten tetanus asd well a pneumonia and will get my covid-19 when it becomes available. The place is UNIVANC (also one in SD and Ozama next to CMED). In Santiago it is in a plaza on Av Bartolome Colon. Tel 829-253-6562/809-724-9475. As I recall I paid RD$2000 for my flu shot. Note much you can't get there,
Do you have to make an appointment at this UNIVANU place or is it just turn up and wait? Thanks.

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002

I will be calling tomorrow morning to check on that. I asked and was told I was getting senior version just as in past years. In any case, I will be going back for another injection in January. I have been getting it twice a year for a few years, even if the seniors version.

Cdn_Gringo

Gold
Apr 29, 2014
If anyone is going to Puerto Plata for a Flu shot from Sosua/Cabarete, I wouldn't turn down the offer of a ride to get the jab too and I would even help pay for gas. I come equipped with my own mask, my assurance that I am not sick and an underlying sense of gratitude.

Neargale

Jul 4, 2013
I will be calling tomorrow morning to check on that. I asked and was told I was getting senior version just as in past years. In any case, I will be going back for another injection in January. I have been getting it twice a year for a few years, even if the seniors version.
Please let us know what UNIVANU says this time regarding a different influenza vaccine specially for seniors. Maybe the answer depends on how the question is asked?

drstock

Silver
Oct 29, 2010
Cabarete
If anyone is going to Puerto Plata for a Flu shot from Sosua/Cabarete, I wouldn't turn down the offer of a ride to get the jab too and I would even help pay for gas. I come equipped with my own mask, my assurance that I am not sick and an underlying sense of gratitude.
I think you mean that you don't have CV-19 symptoms rather than not being sick! LOL. If I get around to organising a trip I'll let you know.

Cdn_Gringo

Gold
Apr 29, 2014
Has an expat with a Cedula been to Public Health in Puerto Plata for a Flu shot? Is it indeed free of charge?

XTraveller

Aug 21, 2010
Has an expat with a Cedula been to Public Health in Puerto Plata for a Flu shot? Is it indeed free of charge?
I am expat with Cedula and today went to small Public Health Clinic in my area not Puerto Plata and got the Flu Shot Free.
Gave the nice lady 200 pesos for lunch. Did not ask for cedula just my name to write in her book so then I gave her my cedula.

Neargale

Jul 4, 2013
Same for me. Got free flu shot at a small Public Health outfit near Puerto Plata. Also gave the lady 200 pesos - she was ecstatic and said she will remember me next year.

Cdn_Gringo

Gold
Apr 29, 2014
If anyone is going to public health in Puerto Plata from the Sosua/Cabarete area, I would really appreciate a ride to get a Flu shot. Taking a taxi eats up all the savings and then some from the "free" shot.