EDENorte North Coast: Electricity Outages & Restoration Announcements

Cdn_Gringo

Gold
Apr 29, 2014
The Sosu103 circuit was scheduled to go out for maintenance today from 10 am - 4 pm. Did it?

Cdn_Gringo

Gold
Apr 29, 2014
This is what I have been told for tomorrow Saturday Oct 24. No electricity pretty much all day.

"In the north, the 69 kV lines Playa Dorada- Sabaneta de Yásica and Canabacoa – Playa Dorada, will be under maintenance from 8:00 am to 3:00 pm Within the affected municipalities and communities are: Sosúa, Cabarete, Sabaneta de Yásica, Playa Dorada and Don Pedro."

CDNBear

Banned
Sep 29, 2020
Cabarete
This is what I have been told for tomorrow Saturday Oct 24. No electricity pretty much all day.

"In the north, the 69 kV lines Playa Dorada- Sabaneta de Yásica and Canabacoa – Playa Dorada, will be under maintenance from 8:00 am to 3:00 pm Within the affected municipalities and communities are: Sosúa, Cabarete, Sabaneta de Yásica, Playa Dorada and Don Pedro."
Thanks for the heads up. Tomorrow seems like a bad day for laundry. Your message is confirmed by

Really odd Edenorte did not remember/bother to publish this on their web site.(n)

Must be an emergency maintenance, by ETED?

• Wow
Reactions: Olly

CDNBear

Banned
Sep 29, 2020
Cabarete
Water pressure went to zero as well, I believe I read that the utility main water pump were affected by the blackout.

Cleaning day here, so I had to start the generator to get my pump going.

Cdn_Gringo

Gold
Apr 29, 2014
Restoration early was a pleasant and unexpected surprise. A cynical friend suggested they turned the power back on while the workers went for lunch but when they come back after lunch... I personally don't think they would cut it off twice in the same day they would have just left it off. Time will tell. As long as it's back on for good before dark. Currently waiting for my my repaired inverter to be reinstalled next week.

Oct 11, 2010
2020 and we're still dealing with this nonsense.

Dominican Republic . . . "Republic of the World". ???

Not quite.

Reliable electricity, potable water . . . isn't asking too much for the 20th century, never mind the 21st.

Cdn_Gringo

Gold
Apr 29, 2014
I'm just thankful that the power usually comes back on. I don't want to imagine what it's like when there is a major problem like a big storm and the power is off for days. Normally, a maintenance shut off wouldn't bother me as they are expected and don't usually last longer than 6 - 8 hours max. However, without an inverter at the moment, I am a little more inconvenienced than I normally am going from everything to nothing in the blink of an eye. At least thanks to this thread and some dedicated posters we sometimes know it's coming and for how long. I agree though, the reliability of the production and distribution system leaves a lot to be desired in this day and age.

Reactions: CDNBear

CDNBear

Banned
Sep 29, 2020
Cabarete
During the last storm a large tree on the neighbors property falled down over the road and crushed the fence on the other side, and taking the power lines in the fall.

We were 3 days without street power, but I had an extra tank of gas and managed fine with the generator after the batteries died. Apart from the annoying noise, from mine generator and the neighbors.
Internet from Claro fortunately stayed up the whole time.

Be prepared and aware where you live ;)

Cdn_Gringo

Gold
Apr 29, 2014
At least twice today the power in My part of Sosua (Sosu101) has flickered off and then back on again. There seems to be some instability in the system today. In the past this type of activity has preceded a failure resulting in an outage but not always. These events were significant brown outs at best. Hard on unprotected computers and some appliances. Makes me just a little concerned as darkness approaches. Still waiting for my repaired inverter to be reinstalled so dark is really dark with no power.

Cdn_Gringo

Gold
Apr 29, 2014
A large part of la Mulata suffered a blown fuse and fire on transmission pole that took out at least one of the 120V lines to many communities in the area. Service is gradually being restored.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
At least twice today the power in My part of Sosua (Sosu101) has flickered off and then back on again. There seems to be some instability in the system today. In the past this type of activity has preceded a failure resulting in an outage but not always. These events were significant brown outs at best. Hard on unprotected computers and some appliances. Makes me just a little concerned as darkness approaches. Still waiting for my repaired inverter to be reinstalled so dark is really dark with no power.
It is because of all of the maintenance.:giggle::devilish:

chico bill

Dogs Better than People
May 6, 2016
Imagine a big truck or bus taking out a high tension pole between Cabarete and Puerto Plata. It would take at least a full day, maybe more, to restore power. There seems to be no way of rerouting certain feeds to the North Coast.
A generator is an essential to those building a new home here. A 15KW would be all most homes need. But be ready to have it serviced because generators are not maintenance free, not even when new

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
On the inverter?
I was joking. With all of the constant maintenance, you would think that there would not be constant failures all of the time.
The maintenance seems to have little effect at reducing the problems.

At least our power is on unless there is a failure or maintenance.
Far better than the 8 to 10 hours daily we got when I moved to here, which went to 12 hours and now the DR version of 24/7.

Don't get rid of your inverter just yet. I always plan to have a small generator as well. Solar panels perhaps , but they would be mainly used to feed the grid and reduce my bill if it ever gets up to that magic 700 kWh number in a month.

NanSanPedro

Nickel with tin plating
Apr 12, 2019
Boca Chica
yeshaiticanprogram.com
I was joking. With all of the constant maintenance, you would think that there would not be constant failures all of the time.
The maintenance seems to have little effect at reducing the problems.

At least our power is on unless there is a failure or maintenance.
Far better than the 8 to 10 hours daily we got when I moved to here, which went to 12 hours and now the DR version of 24/7.

Don't get rid of your inverter just yet. I always plan to have a small generator as well. Solar panels perhaps , but they would be mainly used to feed the grid and reduce my bill if it ever gets up to that magic 700 kWh number in a month.

Are you under 700 kWh with AC?