Massive effort to get kids back to learning

Feb 7, 2007
I agree. The school children especially at public schools are paying to high a price. Why cant they open the schools and try and social distance and wear masks and teach outside etc.... They are as you say pretending its going to work. Its interesting because its a real test of the government as we all know some family this affects and we can all observe the disaster. Its actually very sad.

They are doing this (semi presencial) in Colombia and it works. It's the DR that wants to be "special", on par with USA and EU.

Feb 7, 2007
Last numbers are: only 67% of households have "acceptable" internet connection. What is acceptable? A 3 Mbps DSL, a fixed wireless (mobile internet) with semi guaranteed speed, etc.

What's not included? Paqueticos and all informal prepaid plans (WISP).

MikeFisher

The Fisherman/Weather Mod
Feb 28, 2006
Punta Cana/DR
www.mikefisher.fun
I agree. The school children especially at public schools are paying to high a price. Why cant they open the schools and try and social distance and wear masks and teach outside etc.... They are as you say pretending its going to work. Its interesting because its a real test of the government as we all know some family this affects and we can all observe the disaster. Its actually very sad.
that's right, it is a guaranteed desaster.
nobody around my neighbourhood with kids in public school has the slightest clue/info about what/how will happen on Monday.
no equipments handed out, zero training of any tutors/parents etc.
I can only imagine that they want to start the public school year solely by TV, but even for that it would be time to NOW tell the tutors/parents at what times for what grades on which channels the school programs will run.
and then keep in mind, that many DR Families have children of several different grades in the same house, so how many TVs one simple family must have to assure that all ages get their TV schooling done?
as for private schools, well of course the big expensive ones are fine and already started their dozencias, and even there it show's that our DR internet connections are not capable of much.
the small private schools are NUKED, i imagine most of those to go belly up.
I have since a few months a teacher 2-3 days per week here at our home, to assure that my 9 years old(10 next month) 5th grade daughter will not re-progress/forget about what already been learned in prior years. to keep maths, reading, writing etc up to date til some school teaching may come back to life.
she used to be a teacher in a small private school here in Veron.
she told me yesterday that she is pretty sure to get laid off on monday, as to date she and other collegues have no info about anything, other than the fact that only 17 !!! students (all grades together) are inscribed at that school for the new school year.
so that school will sure not survive, and i know about similar situations at several other small private schools here around.
it show's that parents took their children out of the small private schools to get the promised free equipments and not pay for such on top of the monthly school fees, as that assistance been promised by the new government.

this coming monday will be a educational mess, a real desaster for the country at all.

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
Problem with public schools is too many children and not enough space, and according to some people very poor washrooms, lack of water....etc. We have decided we will not register 3 year children this year ( lots of parents upset) and start with Kinder instead. We have the room and if given the go ahead will have classes with a maximum of ten students per classroom, outdoor classes to the grade five and six, staggered start times and probably 2 days in class and three days virtual for grade 4 thru 6, and no virtual class for kinder, pre-primero, primero, and probably limited virtual for Segundo. All our teacher except two are young and healthy and the older two can limit to virtual classes.

MikeFisher

Feb 28, 2006
Punta Cana/DR
www.mikefisher.fun
They are doing this (semi presencial) in Colombia and it works. It's the DR that wants to be "special", on par with USA and EU.
that "dream" of pure online teaching would even be far ahead of usa or EU, as none of those has such running and both would know that it could not be set up to properly function in just a couple months of a preparation time. compleetly independend of any costs.

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
that's right, it is a guaranteed desaster.
nobody around my neighbourhood with kids in public school has the slightest clue/info about what/how will happen on Monday.
no equipments handed out, zero training of any tutors/parents etc.
I can only imagine that they want to start the public school year solely by TV, but even for that it would be time to NOW tell the tutors/parents at what times for what grades on which channels the school programs will run.
and then keep in mind, that many DR Families have children of several different grades in the same house, so how many TVs one simple family must have to assure that all ages get their TV schooling done?
as for private schools, well of course the big expensive ones are fine and already started their dozencias, and even there it show's that our DR internet connections are not capable of much.
the small private schools are NUKED, i imagine most of those to go belly up.
I have since a few months a teacher 2-3 days per week here at our home, to assure that my 9 years old(10 next month) 5th grade daughter will not re-progress/forget about what already been learned in prior years. to keep maths, reading, writing etc up to date til some school teaching may come back to life.
she used to be a teacher in a small private school here in Veron.
she told me yesterday that she is pretty sure to get laid off on monday, as to date she and other collegues have no info about anything, other than the fact that only 17 !!! students (all grades together) are inscribed at that school for the new school year.
so that school will sure not survive, and i know about similar situations at several other small private schools here around.
it show's that parents took their children out of the small private schools to get the promised free equipments and not pay for such on top of the monthly school fees, as that assistance been promised by the new government.

this coming monday will be a educational mess, a real desaster for the country at all.
We have about 450 students registered instead of our normal 1000, but that is mainly because we normally have about 350 three year olds. We have needed to limit registration as well. Many parents are up shitcreek without a paddle. They have less money coming in so cant afford private school, and don't want to send their kids to public schools but have no choice. Two working parents with no good place to leave their little ones while they work. My wife told those that leave this year cant come back this year.

MikeFisher

Feb 28, 2006
Punta Cana/DR
www.mikefisher.fun
We have about 450 students registered instead of our normal 1000, but that is mainly because we normally have about 350 three year olds. We have needed to limit registration as well. Many parents are up shitcreek without a paddle. They have less money coming in so cant afford private school, and don't want to send their kids to public schools but have no choice. Two working parents with no good place to leave their little ones while they work. My wife told those that leave this year cant come back this year.
yes, that's the situation for a large portion of teh parents of school children in DR.
sad but the trueth.

Feb 7, 2007
that "dream" of pure online teaching would even be far ahead of usa or EU, as none of those has such running and both would know that it could not be set up to properly function in just a couple months of a preparation time. compleetly independend of any costs.

My friend's son is in North Carolina Public Schools system (14 y/o) , they were handed out chromebooks by County over the summer recess and actually are doing really tough online classes daily 7.30 am to 12 noon. I spent with them a week in SD two weeks ago and indedd it is true and working. Apparently all County (not sure if all NC) public schools are on that system.

Aug 21, 2007
We are not a school but a foundation that gives classes in reading, art, math, problem solving, and other things. We work in Jamao which is a large area but with small mountain communities. Class sizes are limited to 10 children. Since we cannot teach in the schools right now, we got creative and teach in churches, on porches and patios, and in community centers. We enrolled more children this year than last and are working in more communities- because they asked us to come teach their children. It has worked beautifully. Children are amazingly flexible. Our kids are poor. Some ride burros to classes since they live far. Others catch a ride in the back of our truck. Where there is a will, there is a way!!!

E384347C-A030-4BBF-9811-F7A684505581.jpeg
53175369-8573-49D2-8ED6-9F5B0B4F22DF.jpeg
7C17F296-6320-4837-B991-A2C7DFE66430.jpeg
052726A7-F9A8-45F0-9CB8-0E18AEF73C01.jpeg
B4388643-CA39-4DF5-A341-F82BE886516C.jpeg
6A001DAC-080B-451C-81E6-624E2888F6EF.jpeg

Drperson

Sep 19, 2008
Problem with public schools is too many children and not enough space, and according to some people very poor washrooms, lack of water....etc. We have decided we will not register 3 year children this year ( lots of parents upset) and start with Kinder instead. We have the room and if given the go ahead will have classes with a maximum of ten students per classroom, outdoor classes to the grade five and six, staggered start times and probably 2 days in class and three days virtual for grade 4 thru 6, and no virtual class for kinder, pre-primero, primero, and probably limited virtual for Segundo. All our teacher except two are young and healthy and the older two can limit to virtual classes.
what to you mean when you say start with kinder?

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
We are not a school but a foundation that gives classes in reading, art, math, problem solving, and other things. We work in Jamao which is a large area but with small mountain communities. Class sizes are limited to 10 children. Since we cannot teach in the schools right now, we got creative and teach in churches, on porches and patios, and in community centers. We enrolled more children this year than last and are working in more communities- because they asked us to come teach their children. It has worked beautifully. Children are amazingly flexible. Our kids are poor. Some ride burros to classes since they live far. Others catch a ride in the back of our truck. Where there is a will, there is a way!!!

How far you’ve come from the days sitting under a big tree with donated iPads. Blessing to all involved.

MikeFisher

Feb 28, 2006
Punta Cana/DR
www.mikefisher.fun
How far you’ve come from the days sitting under a big tree with donated iPads. Blessing to all involved.
yeah.
Lindsey is the perfect example for
have your dream/idea
follow it despite all the shi.. to take
because at the end your action show's that you had the right idea and You Did it RIGHT.

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
what to you mean when you say start with kinder?
In the Dominican Republic many private schools start with Nido- 2 year olds, pre-kinder-3 year olds, Kinder -4 years old, Pre-primario- age 5, then primero (grade one) age 6. We normally have one class of Nido, 3 or 4 classes of pre-kinder, same for Kinder.

• Love
Reactions: MikeFisher

MikeFisher

Feb 28, 2006
Punta Cana/DR
www.mikefisher.fun
In the Dominican Republic many private schools start with Nido- 2 year olds, pre-kinder-3 year olds, Kinder -4 years old, Pre-primario- age 5, then primero (grade one) age 6. We normally have one class of Nido, 3 or 4 classes of pre-kinder, same for Kinder.
yes, thats the whole 9 yards of the steps.
I also sent my daughter to start by the age of 2.
means she was still 2 years old when her first school year started.
her birthday is november 18th, so the same calendar year she went 3.

Drperson

Sep 19, 2008
thanks. Bob do you know of any on -line resources for dominican kids to get school education?

MikeFisher

Feb 28, 2006
Punta Cana/DR
www.mikefisher.fun
Update/Info about public school teaching:
I was today with several neighbour ladies at the public school in Juanillo, a fairly small public school with only around 400 students.
there they got the Quaderno for the schoolmonth November and the explanation about how it will be used.
the teaching will take place via TV, each grade on a different channel.
the teaching will take 3hrs each day from Mondays to Fridays and each class repeated twice per day.
they are also prepared to teach their classes via Zoom, the tecnicians been there to train with the teachers the last weeks,
but it is still up in the air when the tablets for the children will arrive, so the start of the school year will be via TV together with the shoolbook for each month.
it is all done last minute, like the reunion today, on the friday before the starting monday.
further instructions etc will come through the whatsapp group for every grade.
they also handed out today the medienda for next week, which then will be given once a week.

this "book" will continue with sure many stories to tell in the near future.

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
TH
Update/Info about public school teaching:
I was today with several neighbour ladies at the public school in Juanillo, a fairly small public school with only around 400 students.
there they got the Quaderno for the schoolmonth November and the explanation about how it will be used.
the teaching will take place via TV, each grade on a different channel.
the teaching will take 3hrs each day from Mondays to Fridays and each class repeated twice per day.
they are also prepared to teach their classes via Zoom, the tecnicians been there to train with the teachers the last weeks,
but it is still up in the air when the tablets for the children will arrive, so the start of the school year will be via TV together with the shoolbook for each month.
it is all done last minute, like the reunion today, on the friday before the starting monday.
further instructions etc will come through the whatsapp group for every grade.
they also handed out today the medienda for next week, which then will be given once a week.

this "book" will continue with sure many stories to tell in the near future.
The first school book has a different cover page and the same internal content from Prepremario to Grade six, no math at all. The story is at about a grade four level for reading and comprehension. I can't comment on the books for older students as I haven't seen them

Reactions: MikeFisher