I made a short video about why I'm moving from USA to DR

CDNBear

Banned
Sep 29, 2020
Cabarete
When I came to Cabarete 22 years ago, the discotheque/clubs were fun to say the least and with a lot of tourists and locals. Absolutely crazy.

Also in Cabarete extremely many women looking for easy income.
And for many uneducated, the only chance they saw viable.
Not many tourists went here for that business at that time, but sure many fell for that offer during the nights/,and day too.

Today in Cab, nearly not visible.

Big

Apr 24, 2019
When I came to Cabarete 22 years ago, the discotheque/clubs were fun to say the least and with a lot of tourists and locals. Absolutely crazy.

Also in Cabarete extremely many women looking for easy income.
And for many uneducated, the only chance they saw viable.
Not many tourists went here for that business at that time, but sure many fell for that offer during the nights/,and day too.

Today in Cab, nearly not visible.
I do miss that little place down the street from Janet's next to the now closed Otra Cosa restaurant. However I have heard its going to open back up shortly, being much more low key and subtle

Reactions: CDNBear

CDNBear

Banned
Sep 29, 2020
Cabarete
I do miss that little place down the street from Janet's next to the now closed Otra Cosa restaurant. However I have heard its going to open back up shortly, being much more low key and subtle
Otra Cosa, Tuna filet menu with full vine selection. That was something to take your girlfriend to, amazing.

Hope Bliss survive! Great restaurant too!

CDNBear

Banned
Sep 29, 2020
Cabarete
Carneval Cabarete used to be fun too
20150706-223237000-i-OS.jpg

drstock

Silver
Oct 29, 2010
Cabarete
To clarify, over the last 15 to 20 years I've noticed them and benefited from these wind breaks. I have no idea about the last few years. While I've been many times, most recently it's only at enclosed restaurants and in the evening and night.
I think your memory may be playing tricks on you because I go to the main beach almost every day and am hardly ever troubled by blowing sand. Kite beach and the beach to the east of the main one, beyond Velero - that's a different story. Please come again and see for yourself!

• Love

CristoRey

Welcome To Wonderland
Apr 1, 2014
I was wondering how it was before, since it's such a beautiful spot. Unfortunately, I missed it. Any experience I have of the North Coast pre-Covid in terms of nightlife is confined to Puerto Plata. I'm sorry I missed the heyday of Sosua, for example.
All good things must come to an
end at some point but Sosua still
has one of the best beaches for
swimming in the Caribbean.

Caonabo

LIFE IS GOOD
Sep 27, 2017
must have been way before my time, for 15 years it has been a gentleman's playground, before that I'm sure it was a religious retreat

Yes indeed, long before 15 years ago. Never to have been confused with a religious retreat, but gentlemen knew how to comport themselves in a different manner. They were not misfits or lowlifes of society seeking attention.

Caonabo

LIFE IS GOOD
Sep 27, 2017
I see numbers of years experience within RD constantly referred to, across several thread lines. 15 years. 17 years. 22 years.
In actuality, these are all small time periods within the grand scheme of things......unless of course, you are only 15, 17, or 22 years old.

Big

Apr 24, 2019
Yes indeed, long before 15 years ago. Never to have been confused with a religious retreat, but gentlemen knew how to comport themselves in a different manner. They were not misfits or lowlifes of society seeking attention.
must have been a wonderful era, sophisticated members of aristocracy walking around wearing ascots, tipping their hats to ladies.

CristoRey

Welcome To Wonderland
Apr 1, 2014
Sounds like it used to be a really nice place
to relax. Comes as no surprise that it's full of
those type of people now, both Dominican and
foreigner alike.

Reactions: Caonabo

Michael DR

Banned
Jun 7, 2020
Earth
I think your memory may be playing tricks on you because I go to the main beach almost every day and am hardly ever troubled by blowing sand. Kite beach and the beach to the east of the main one, beyond Velero - that's a different story. Please come again and see for yourself!
I think you and Bear are being overly picky about my observation that it's windy in Cabarete. So be it. Believe what you want but there are many others that also think it's a windy place:

Spare us all your arguments that it's only windy in specific areas or times, etc... It's part of the draw of the place that it's windy...and OUR Windy even lives there. LOL

I'm done but you locos feel free to carry on and beat this to death :cool:🤣😂😇

• Love

David B

Aug 31, 2017
Speaking of waves in Cabarete. A little drama here on the beach last night on the east end of town. Just as I got home, 15 mins before sunset, we saw what seemed to be an inflatable in the sea, floundering, A neighbor called 911 and a couple of young fireman arrived. Seems it was a young Canadian kite surfer who got tangled in his lines and was struggling to get to shore. Without hesitation, the firemen ditched their clothes and entered the waves to save him. Needless to say, the kite surfer was exhausted and very thankful.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
That will go over like a lead balloon. I predict an open and shut case. There is a sucker born every minute, they say.

David B

Aug 31, 2017
Daytime Sosua not a hellhole.
Night time Sosua, I agree.

I'm a pretty experienced guy, but I've never before been accosted as I have been in Sosua, at night, by women offering a "chupa." I couldn't even go out to my car to get my fags without various girls yelling at me from their balcony with offers. In all fairness, I think plenty of Dominicans are desperate in the current economic climate.

Reactions: CristoRey

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
The reason Cabarete became known internationally is because it is windy (moreso in the summer months).
Canadian wind surfers "discovered" Cabarete during the early days of windsurfing.