Dominican Foods

May 29, 2006
Ppl often bash longaniza, but that's bc the stuff in the markets is made from "whatever". The good stuff uses fresh garlic and coriander after being marinated in bitter orange(?). Hand ground and made from what I think is pork shoulder and belly.

1/2" thick grilled marinate pork belly(bacon) is a great street food.

Sent from my SM-J327T using Tapatalk

Russell

Jun 17, 2017
we had miesposo's family on a sunday, bbq burgers. few days prior i made some banana ketchup (indonesian staple, apparently). i also put out homemade mango chutney among condiments. to my surprise my FIL used banana ketchup on his burger and my MIL reached for the chutney. and they liked it. so there is a bit of hope :)

i also served no bake coffee and whiskey mousse cheesecake and they liked it too.

Alright enough is enough.... this is disgustingly wonderful.... what is the protocol to get adopted into your extended family.

Russell

Jun 17, 2017
My all time favorite food is Chevo in a dark gravy with batata on the side.....Hard to beat.
Russell

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
This recipe for Dominican pumpkin bread was updated today, the story behind it is as good as the recipe. Thanks Aunties!

Everything you ever wanted to know about auyama but were afraid to ask.

• Haha
Reactions: House and AlterEgo

House

Dec 20, 2019
In transit
images4.fanpop.com
This recipe for Dominican pumpkin bread was updated today, the story behind it is as good as the recipe. Thanks Aunties!

They consistently provide the best take Dominican cooking I've encountered.

I've recommended them to many and it's great that it's in español y ingles ;)

malko

Campesino !! :)
Jan 12, 2013
Not very dominican, but I always look forward to guacamole.
Dominican related in my case, because a) I actually have the time to make it when in the DR ( store stuff just ain't right imo ). and b) all the ingredients are on hand, mostly home-grown.

Latest and not-to-far-off greatest is guacamole with mango and pomegranate---- sounds strange but is really good.

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
Not very dominican, but I always look forward to guacamole.
Dominican related in my case, because a) I actually have the time to make it when in the DR ( store stuff just ain't right imo ). and b) all the ingredients are on hand, mostly home-grown.

Latest and not-to-far-off greatest is guacamole with mango and pomegranate---- sounds strange but is really good.

Sounds good! With corn chips, or???

malko

Campesino !! :)
Jan 12, 2013
Sounds good! With corn chips, or???

I actually use guacamole as a " base" and then use as I feel.

As a dip for vegetables ( carrots, cucumber etc.... ) for a snack. Corn chips also from time to time.

Or as a stuffing/sauce, for a meal. I like to spread it on grilled pieces of chicken breasts, also marries well with shrimps.

Tip : when you make a batch of " regular" guacamole ( avocado, peppers, tomatoes, onion, garlic and cilantro ), store it in a Tupperware and pour a little water on top then close and put in the fridge. It should stop it going brown for a couple of days.

Cdn_Gringo

Gold
Apr 29, 2014
Tip : when you make a batch of " regular" guacamole ( avocado, peppers, tomatoes, onion, garlic and cilantro ), store it in a Tupperware and pour a little water on top then close and put in the fridge. It should stop it going brown for a couple of days.
It is the acidic lemon or lime juice that keeps the avacado from turning brown. At least two tablespoons (or to taste) worth for a decent amount o guac is all you need. mix in well. Bottled or fresh, both work as long as the bottled is real fruit juice. Squeezing a couple of fresh limes is cheaper.