Must see places in the Sosua and Cabarete

Status
Not open for further replies.

Oct 9, 2007
I will be traveling with my girlfriend to the north coast for the first time. This is not

our first time in the Dominican. We have been to Punta Cana a few years back but regret not

Choosing to travel to the north coast. Especially after a bit of research and seeing

pictures from this forum. The north coast really seems the place to be.

We will be staying at the Iberostar Costa Dorada for 7 days in the beginning of November.

I'm 29, athletic, like to party, drink, socialize, and also like to do things that involve

nature such as fishing, and I'm a huge fresh fruit fanatic. My girlfriend is 29, athletic,

more reserved and laid back, not a big party girl, likes to shop, likes art, and prefers a

more cultural Dominican experience, with safety being the utmost importance.

We'd like to go to Sosua, and spend at least entire day there, hopefully more. We've read

that you can take public transportation, but would you guys recommend it for the return trip

at night. I'm not a big guy (5'9'), but I do lift weights regularly, and weight about 175.

If I were traveling by myself, or with a group of guys, safety normally isn't a concern.

But because I'm traveling with my girlfriend, I would want to try my best to take care of

her to the best of my ability, and do everything possible to make her feel safe.

While in Sosua, are there any "MUST SEE" places. I'm doing as much research as possible, and

I need your recommendations for cool must see places.

We also want to go to Cabarete. Same as above, are there any "MUST SEE" places. I would hate

to read about a cool place or activity on this forum after our vacation and say to myself

**** I wish I would have gone there.

Are there any North Coast maps available online. I tried google maps, and while the

satellite view is great for Puerto Plata and our resort, it totally sucks for Sosua and

Cabarete. I'm trying make the most of the little time I have on the island, and a map would

help save valuable time.

I want to hire a boat. I don't want to go deep sea fishing. I've done that every year in a different country for the last few years, and I'd rather do something else. Unfortunately it seems like the only type of fishing I can find.

Is there a possibility to rent a boat for half a day. My idea of a boat is a simple 10 to 14 foot aluminum boat, with a small outboard motor and a small tank of gas. Where I'm from you can rent a boat like this for half a day for only $40 with a valid drivers licence. I understand that this might not be possible, so I would be open to other options. Perhaps a nearby fishing village, where someone might take me out on their small boat for half a day.

Is there anything interesting to do in Puerto Plata?

We'll be traveling from Toronto, so if there are any items of value or just anything in particular that you can't easily get in the Dominican Republic, that we are able to bring down, we would be happy to barter, in exchange for a little of your time to show us around and have a good time.

Thanks in Advance.
David.

Oct 9, 2007
Sosua map.

sosua-map-printable.jpg

Me_again

Bronze
Nov 21, 2004
so if there are any items of value or just anything in particular that you can't easily get in the Dominican Republic, that we are able to bring down, we would be happy to barter

Tempt Marco [Rocky poster above] with berries of some sort.

Fiesta Mama

Bronze
Jan 28, 2004
I have taken public transportation late at night from Sosua to POP, although always with my husband, who is Dominican, so I have never worried. However, given that you are both tourists, although I have never had a bad experience, it might be better to take public transit to Sosua during the day and get a taxi back to Iberostar. If you rent a car, I would not recommend driving that stretch of highway after dark as it can be a dangerous road for someone unfamiliar with the pot holes, curves, drunk drivers, etc. Never take a motoconcho on the main highway. I have used them within city limits of POP or Sosua but would not go out on the highway.

Me_again

Bronze
Nov 21, 2004
Berry well

My dried berry addiction is quickly becoming a legend, but if you're going to try to tempt me, they'd better be blueberries.

Perhaps frozen blueberries next FEB? They should travel well enough from Halifax to Sos?a.

Tamborista

hasta la tambora
Apr 4, 2005
I bet you can be conditioned to elicit The Pavlovian response just by seeing the Prune Bag!

obtmat'

Status
Not open for further replies.