Coronavirus - In the DR

Status
Not open for further replies.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
A sobering read from a friend of mine -
=====================================

I think we have to be realistic here in DR in that the Pfizer and Moderna vaccines just will not be pratical to distribute here.

Yes preliminary results show thet have high levels of efficiay but there are not yet enough resulst for older people. And the Russsian vaccine is stated to have 95% efficacy too!

DR's best hope is the AZ/Oxford vaccine which has been tested large scale on all age groups. Their preliminary results will be announced soon.

Anyhow the issue with distribution (not to mention public confidence and nursing shortages) of the Pfizer and Moderna vaccines is well summed up in an article in the The Guardian today:

Extreme storage requirements

As public health authorities work to regain public trust, they must also tackle the unprecedented cold storage requirements of the leading vaccine candidate from Pfizer and German company BioNTech.

This vaccine uses technology called a messenger RNA platform, which uses the genetic material of Covid-19 to invoke an immune response. The vaccine leads the pack because it is the quickest to manufacture.

But speed of manufacture is offset by complicated delivery. Pfizer’s vaccine needs to be stored at an unprecedented -94C (-137.2F) a temperature met only with the coldest deep freezers.

Pharmacies do not have freezers this cold, because no approved drug has ever needed to be held at this temperature. Only large medical centers, universities and perhaps some public health departments will probably have such deep freezers.

To get around this, Pfizer has developed a reusable, suitcase-sized shipping container where 975 doses of the vaccine are kept on dry ice. The vaccine is stable for 10 days from the point of departure in this case. If more dry ice can be secured, then the vaccine can be kept in the case for another 15 days.

“The clock starts well before you actually receive the product,” said Soumi Saha, an attorney, pharmacist and vice-president of advocacy at the healthcare logistics company Premier Inc.

Dry ice is considered a hazardous material, so it cannot be shipped by air or sea. It must be transported by ground, posing potentially serious challenges for rural areas where several days of vaccine viability could be lost in transit.

During this time, the case can only be opened twice a day for one minute per opening. Healthcare workers will need to take out an appropriate amount of vaccine only twice a day, meaning carefully calibrating between taking out too little and risk sending patients home, and taking out too much and risk wasting very limited doses.

These vaccines aren't for DR nor most developing nations.

March is when DR is expected to start receiving it's 10 million doses of AZ/Oxford vacccines:

[link under review]

Following the fact that the pharmaceutical company that negotiated with the country 10 million vaccines against Covid-19 reported that it started production, the Ministry of Public Health receives the advice of the Pan American Health Organization (PAHO).

This in order to develop the logistics that will be implemented when the vaccine begins to be received, which is expected to be in March 2021.

The pharmaceutical AstraZeneca, with which the country reached an agreement, announced that it will begin its advanced distribution at the end of March 2021.

According to the Vice Minister of Collective Health, Ivelisse Acosta, the Essential Medicines Program (Promese) will be the entity that will conserve and store the product, due to its connection with massive quantities of medicines.

The official clarified that logistics is still being developed and has not reached its conclusion.

Countries and international organizations have secured millions of doses of vaccine, among them the European Union, which ordered 300 million; Australia set aside 50 million, Argentina has required 22 million and the Dominican Republic, 10 million, among many other countries.

The manufacture of the vaccine against Covid-19 will be the fastest in the history of mankind, due to the speed with which it was made.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
Thank you for confirming the undue optimism of some people when it comes to vaccines like Phizer's or Moderna's when it comes to a place like the DR.
Such a vaccine requiring cold temperatures will be impossible to deal with here. It will be extremely difficult anywhere.

As for how well and how long the AZ/Oxford vaccine works only time will tell. By the end of 2021 we should know more.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
Any vaccine is uncharted waters these days - IMO

Oh Ye of little faith....... that's me.....

Gimme the old fashioned way.....mask, distance, etc

Reactions: zoomzx11

drstock

Silver
Oct 29, 2010
Cabarete
It's not just protection. It's also what does it do to your body that you may not like or want.

So yea, wait until 2022. Then say no!
Oh dear - opinions like this is what will make the vaccines (which are extensively tested) ineffective. If enough anti-vaxers "say no" the virus will continue unabated.

Reactions: Michael DR

lifeisgreat

Enjoying Life
May 7, 2016
Thank you for confirming the undue optimism of some people when it comes to vaccines like Phizer's or Moderna's when it comes to a place like the DR.
Such a vaccine requiring cold temperatures will be impossible to deal with here. It will be extremely difficult anywhere.

As for how well and how long the AZ/Oxford vaccine works only time will tell. By the end of 2021 we should know more.
Moderna doesn’t require deep freeze... regular fridge...sell phizers stocks ..

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
With moderna -20 freezer shelve life in regular fridge 30 days
That is a better option than was expected from Moderna:

(Reuters) - Moderna Inc’s experimental COVID-19 vaccine is more stable than expected at temperatures that ordinary refrigerators can provide and can be distributed using existing cold-chain shipping and storage infrastructure.

nanita

Jul 28, 2014
Can anyone access and post the number of deaths per capita in the DR in 2020 compared to previous years?
The reason I ask is that in the midst of 'information overload' and conflicting perspectives regarding Covid, I came across this statistic:

NO EXCESS DEATHS IN SWEDEN IN 2020 COMPARED TO PREVIOUS YEARS (data from 2010-2020).

This, despite no lockdowns, lax pandemic measures, and poor compliance to the few measures that have been suggested.

Reactions: Garyexpat and cavok

Michael DR

Banned
Jun 7, 2020
Earth
Since they say that the vast majority of deaths "due to" Covid are those that are more likely to die anyway... The aged, infirm, those already almost dead why is this a shocking statistic? I'm not claiming that any of it is true but in and of itself it's hardly a shocker.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
Actually getting CV19 does not grant long term immunity. Professionals have dispelled the concept of herd immunity from infection. A vaccine that does better than being infected is required to reach herd immunity AND THAT WILL TAKE YEARS!

JD Jones

Moderator:North Coast,Santo Domingo,SW Coast,Covid
Jan 7, 2016
Actually getting CV19 does not grant long term immunity. Professionals have dispelled the concept of herd immunity from infection. A vaccine that does better than being infected is required to reach herd immunity AND THAT WILL TAKE YEARS!
What seems to escape me is the whole "If everyone would use masks and follow guidelines Covid would disappear in a month" argument I've heard here.

One would think that if the vaccine worked it would end up disappearing in a month or so.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
What seems to escape me is the whole "If everyone would use masks and follow guidelines Covid would disappear in a month" argument I've heard here.

One would think that if the vaccine worked it would end up disappearing in a month or so.
The reason a vaccine does not immediately stop such a disease is that it takes years to deploy and vaccinate everyone. An expert from Yale says 3 years:

JD Jones

Moderator:North Coast,Santo Domingo,SW Coast,Covid
Jan 7, 2016
The reason a vaccine does not immediately stop such a disease is that it takes years to deploy and vaccinate everyone. An expert from Yale says 3 years:

Do you think that would hold true for the DR as well? I can't imagine the DR taking 3 years to deploy it.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
Do you think that would hold true for the DR as well? I can't imagine the DR taking 3 years to deploy it.
Smaller countries can be quicker if they have made the proper arrangements and if they are a high priority for the vaccine manufacturer.

Cdn_Gringo

Gold
Apr 29, 2014
a lot will depend on how the Govt here acquires the doses then distributes them. If they make it it quick and easy, it shouldn't take too long to administer 10 million doses. If a second inoculation is necessary sometime after the first, it will take twice as long. I"m not sure the govt is capable of coming up with a distribution plan that is quick and easy. Something along the lines of go to a Doctor, a clinic, or a Farmacia, show your cedula and get the vaccine would be ideal but nothing on that scale of simplicity has been seen before. Even if the vaccine is provided free of charge to Dominicans, I'm not entirely sure the same will apply to resident foreigners. There is usually a distinction made between Dominicans and foreigners who are not citizens.

Reactions: JD Jones

Garyexpat

Bronze
Sep 7, 2012
Gary I have the same doubts as you but I am not going to play an expert in a disease. I said either its not that serious or they are not letting us now or they don’t know how many are infected. It could be the weather, outdoor lifestyle and younger population helps here. But in Europe they certainly think it’s serious as several places are going back into lockdown and we have to respect that. There certainly won’t be many tourists from Europe in the near future so the pandemic has that effect on the DR.
I don't really think we have the same doubts John as mine go way beyond yours. I will not deny that the infection rate will be very high and have said I believe most of us will get it eventually. There are those at risk of it being more serious and even fatal and I've heard of "some" cases of younger fit people succumbing to it although that seems very rare. Young fit people do sadly die of cancer all the time. I believe enough time has passed and the knowledge regarding the virus has obviously increased so that even with increased cases the number of deaths will either stay low or even more likely go lower than they already are. Last stats I saw from the U.S. was 0.003% dying from it.
I think that the sever damage being done to the global economies (and no it's not about $$$ but people earning a living to provide for the families), educational systems is far outweighing the damage done by the virus. I think that the D.R. is a good example of this but Colombia even more so since they had such a sever shut down (a good friend tells me that 80% of the businesses in downtown Cartagena have not re-opened). I love the country of Colombia and considered moving there but after seeing their response to this, they are off my list. I'll stay put here in the D.R. at least for now.

Status
Not open for further replies.