Process of buying a car

cryptoli

Nov 7, 2020
Santo Domingo
Hi all,

Can anyone walk me through the process of buying a car here? Actually, I bought one a few days ago and the dealer was supposed to take care of everything but now he's telling I have to go to some place called the DGII:

> Yo a estado intentando de registrarlo en dgii
> Y me están diciendo que para registrarlo necesito un poder usted autorizandome a registrarlo
> O usted mismo puede ir a la dgii a registrarse para poder poner el vehículo a su nombre

Can anyone explain what is the legal procedure involved when buying a car? All I have now is a temporary paper plate that is taped to my back window.

Thanks!

JD Jones

Moderator:North Coast,Santo Domingo,SW Coast,Covid
Jan 7, 2016
Hi all,

Can anyone walk me through the process of buying a car here? Actually, I bought one a few days ago and the dealer was supposed to take care of everything but now he's telling I have to go to some place called the DGII:

> Yo a estado intentando de registrarlo en dgii
> Y me están diciendo que para registrarlo necesito un poder usted autorizandome a registrarlo
> O usted mismo puede ir a la dgii a registrarse para poder poner el vehículo a su nombre

Can anyone explain what is the legal procedure involved when buying a car? All I have now is a temporary paper plate that is taped to my back window.

Thanks!
You've already gone through most of the steps. You now have to take the documents to a DGII office, present the documents, pay the tax then wait for them to give you your registration(matricula)

The person who wrote the Spanish text said:
They were trying to do that process for you in the DGII,
They were told they need a power of attorney to register it in your name.
Or conversely, you can go yourself and have it registered in your names

Funny a dealer would be telling you that.

hammerdown

Bronze
Apr 29, 2005
The dealer should be able to put the vehicle in your name without a POA.... I haven't done any of that with the vehicles I have bought and I get a matricula in my name without a POA..... he's stringing you a line.....

Reactions: drstock

drstock

Silver
Oct 29, 2010
Cabarete
The dealer should be able to put the vehicle in your name without a POA.... I haven't done any of that with the vehicles I have bought and I get a matricula in my name without a POA..... he's stringing you a line.....
Yes, when I've bought from a dealer I've let them do the paperwork to get my name on the matricula. They are usually delighted to do so because they charge you and make a profit on doing the work. Or you can negotiate and get it included in the purchase price, but I prefer to pay to make sure it gets done.