green light to go into lower income
neighborhoods and abuse people.
This incident took place at 8pm in the
evening in front of this guys house not
3am in the morning at some drug sales
point or hotspot.
WARNING: GRAPHIC MATERIAL
I agree.
This scamdemic related lockdown is all BS. Smoke and mirrors.

JD Jones

Moderator:North Coast,Santo Domingo,SW Coast,Covid
Jan 7, 2016
Curfew is about controlling people.
Gives the PN (like they need one) a
green light to go into lower income
neighborhoods and abuse people.
This incident took place at 8pm in the
evening in front of this guys house not
3am in the morning at some drug sales
point or hotspot.
WARNING: GRAPHIC MATERIAL
Of course, it's about controlling people. Duh! :LOL:

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
From all reports on the realistic time it takes to vaccinate a population, the people will be controlled until at least 2022.

Cdn_Gringo

Gold
Apr 29, 2014
Everyone should know that police actions are inconsistent time to time place to place. If the curfew states to be in your home by 7pm then that is fair warning that is where you should be. For me I am at least on my own property behind my fence. I do not know if sitting on your your front porch street side watching the world go by qualifies as being in your home but if you are on the sidewalk or in the street clearly you are not in compliance and could draw the interest of the police if they pass by. I don't know why every arrest video I see looks like a MMA spectacle but clearly these are situations are best avoided. This is why I asked last week in another post for information on what the police were doing to enforce the curfew in and around Sosua. It is important to know the risks if you can be seen after the start of the curfew hours. No videos of the PN beating up on white foreigners so one might conclude that the there could be a double standard at play. I have seen white foreigners go out during the curfew and I see lots not wearing masks while walking down the street. I have also seen the large groups of police circulating around town and know they are looking for masks, distancing, large groups of people sand probably illegal Haitians. I'm still not sure if they are looking for me during the early hours of the curfew. I have however, chosen not to try and find out by being seen where I shouldn't be.

Overly harsh Govt control or not, everyone should know that being on the streets during the curfew is at minimum an invitation for an interaction with a corrupt police force doing the bidding of a corrupt govt. Which makes for a potentially volatile and unpredictable encounter. Locals for sure should understand this and when you resist and your girlfriend gets involved in obstructing the police, your face usually ends up looking like that of the guy in the video or worse. Without clarity as it pertains to me, I have chosen to let others do as they see fit and and abide by the curfew or not. I have yet to see or hear of anyone I know being hassled. or detained. So there must be a way that these foreigners are skirting the rules with the assistance of the police. The curfew violators tend to stand out and are easy to spot. If you are on your own property you should be ok I would think even if you are technically outside on the porch or on the lawn. provided there is no social gathering taking place.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
Herd immunity might be possible after all:

How long might immunity to the coronavirus last? Years, maybe even decades, according to a new study — the most hopeful answer yet to a question that has shadowed plans for widespread vaccination.

Eight months after infection, most people who have recovered still have enough immune cells to fend off the virus and prevent illness, the new data show. A slow rate of decline in the short term suggests, happily, that these cells may persist in the body for a very, very long time to come.

The research, published online, has not been peer-reviewed nor published in a scientific journal. But it is the most comprehensive and long-ranging study of immune memory to the coronavirus to date.

“That amount of memory would likely prevent the vast majority of people from getting hospitalized disease, severe disease, for many years,” said Shane Crotty, a virologist at the La Jolla Institute of Immunology who co-led the new study.

CristoRey

Welcome To Wonderland
Apr 1, 2014
Everyone should know that police actions are inconsistent time to time place to place. If the curfew states to be in your home by 7pm then that is fair warning that is where you should be. For me I am at least on my own property behind my fence. I do not know if sitting on your your front porch street side watching the world go by qualifies as being in your home but if you are on the sidewalk or in the street clearly you are not in compliance and could draw the interest of the police if they pass by. I don't know why every arrest video I see looks like a MMA spectacle but clearly these are situations are best avoided. This is why I asked last week in another post for information on what the police were doing to enforce the curfew in and around Sosua. It is important to know the risks if you can be seen after the start of the curfew hours. No videos of the PN beating up on white foreigners so one might conclude that the there could be a double standard at play. I have seen white foreigners go out during the curfew and I see lots not wearing masks while walking down the street. I have also seen the large groups of police circulating around town and know they are looking for masks, distancing, large groups of people sand probably illegal Haitians. I'm still not sure if they are looking for me during the early hours of the curfew. I have however, chosen not to try and find out by being seen where I shouldn't be.

Overly harsh Govt control or not, everyone should know that being on the streets during the curfew is at minimum an invitation for an interaction with a corrupt police force doing the bidding of a corrupt govt. Which makes for a potentially volatile and unpredictable encounter. Locals for sure should understand this and when you resist and your girlfriend gets involved in obstructing the police, your face usually ends up looking like that of the guy in the video or worse. Without clarity as it pertains to me, I have chosen to let others do as they see fit and and abide by the curfew or not. I have yet to see or hear of anyone I know being hassled. or detained. So there must be a way that these foreigners are skirting the rules with the assistance of the police. The curfew violators tend to stand out and are easy to spot. If you are on your own property you should be ok I would think even if you are technically outside on the porch or on the lawn. provided there is no social gathering taking place.
Its only about controlling the crime rate.
That's why you are not seeing
white (or black) foreigners getting
arrested for violating curfew as PN
know they are not in the country to
commit street crime. Unfortunately
they are treating every single Dominican
they catch not following orders after
the specified curfew hour that evening,
like a criminal and that's why I posted
the video.

JD Jones

Jan 7, 2016
Its only about controlling the crime rate.
That's why you are not seeing
white (or black) foreigners getting
arrested for violating curfew as PN
know they are not in the country to
commit street crime. Unfortunately
they are treating every single Dominican
they catch not following orders after
the specified curfew hour that evening,
like a criminal and that's why I posted
the video.
Either that or they have the good sense to not be out on the street during curfew.

CristoRey

Welcome To Wonderland
Apr 1, 2014
Either that or they have the good sense to not be out on the street during curfew.
They are Dominican.
A percentage of whom
live in a jungle and carry
what I often refer to as the
"wild animal" gene. No way
in hell will they ever follow
orders but this does not mean
they are criminals.

JD Jones

Jan 7, 2016
More control issues.
Lets turn half of the population into criminals.
Have you ever been to a Gallera?

I'm curious, Why do you keep using the term "Criminals"?

They are not processed as criminals. They are not arrested or fingerprinted. They don't go to court. They don't get a record.

They are simply detained then pay a fine.

You're the one who keeps calling them criminals.

CristoRey

Welcome To Wonderland
Apr 1, 2014
Have you ever been to a Gallera?

I'm curious, Why do you keep using the term "Criminals"?

They are not processed as criminals. They are not arrested or fingerprinted. They don't go to court. They don't get a record.

They are simply detained then pay a fine.

You're the one who keeps calling them criminals.
Being detained and being hauled into a police station while being forced to pay a fine doesn't resemble being treated like a law abiding citizen. More like extortion. What happens if you don't pay their bribe? We know know exactly what happens. Ya get tossed into a cell. Ever spent time in a Dominican cell? I have. On 4 different occassions. I've never been formally arrested, broken a law or charged with a crime. Always about the money. Follow the money. This aint about saving lives. Its about controlling people's behavior and extorting the one's who refuse to play along. If this government were serious about saving lives there's a laundry list of projects they could have easily started working on the first day Luis took office.... with the most obvious being stop signs at intersections.

Reactions: Garyexpat

CristoRey

Welcome To Wonderland
Apr 1, 2014
To answer your question.
Yes, I have been to a few
Galleras in different parts of the country.

JD Jones

Jan 7, 2016
OK, so we clarified they are not criminals, they are just being treated like criminals for not following curfew regulations.

You call it "controlling", I call it "trying to control the spread of the disease"

And FWIW, I've never been detained in almost 50 years.

The curfew has not affected me significantly. I go to work every day, don't go out at night and visit the supermarket on Sunday morning.
In fact, my business has doubled since COVID started. The only time I've worn a mask is when I go to the supermarket and when I receive visitors at work.

What were you doing the 4 times you've been detained?

chico bill

Dogs Better than People
May 6, 2016
From all reports on the realistic time it takes to vaccinate a population, the people will be controlled until at least 2022.
If the vaccine receives emergency approval by FDS it means a vaccine was developed and approved in 7 months. That's unheard of. And now there are multiple testing methods in every city.
So you think it will take two years to get the people vaccinated ?
Didn't take that long to mass distribute polio, rubella or mumps vaccines once those got approved. and that was before Fed Ex and UPS.

They vaccinate in schools, with parents permission, and in libraries and public vaccination programs in school gyms and clinics and even Costco and major drug retailers.
It can be done in less than 6 months if the public is willing......and that is the sticking point

Reactions: CristoRey

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
Can we get a prediction on when the curfews will end in the DR?

My guess is Q2 in 2022.

This guess is based upon the time it will take to rollout a vaccine and then vaccinate enough people that the DR government will
feel that enough people have been vaccinated to stop the curfew.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
If the vaccine receives emergency approval by FDS it means a vaccine was developed and approved in 7 months. That's unheard of. And now there are multiple testing methods in every city.
So you think it will take two years to get the people vaccinated ?
Didn't take that long to mass distribute polio, rubella or mumps vaccines once those got approved. and that was before Fed Ex and UPS.

They vaccinate in schools, with parents permission, and in libraries and public vaccination programs in school gyms and clinics and even Costco and major drug retailers.
It can be done in less than 6 months if the public is willing......and that is the sticking point
Think about how long it will take to produce billions of doses of vaccines. Then do that twice for many of the vaccines.

No expert is saying it will take a few months. It will take many months stretching into years. Certainly some countries will be faster than others.

Experts are saying it will be next winter before some relaxation can take place in areas where sufficient vaccines are given.

I am going with Q2 of 2022 if effective vaccines are deployed here in the DR.

chico bill

Dogs Better than People
May 6, 2016
Think about how long it will take to produce billions of doses of vaccines. Then do that twice for many of the vaccines.

No expert is saying it will take a few months. It will take many months stretching into years. Certainly some countries will be faster than others.

Experts are saying it will be next winter before some relaxation can take place in areas where sufficient vaccines are given.

I am going with Q2 of 2022 if effective vaccines are deployed here in the DR.
Well billions is a lot for one company but there are at least 6 Western Companies who will produce it and Russia and India and China are producing their own.
Since Pfiser and Moderna have committed to producing a lot in short order: Pfiser - 1.4 billion does in 2021 (one company) and Moderna - 1 billion (again one company), it does not sound like a stretch to say several billions of doses will be produced very soon.
You can expect nothing in the next few weeks, but by mid-spring you probably will be able to get a shot even here in DR

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
Well billions is a lot for one company but there are at least 6 Western Companies who will produce it and Russia and India and China are producing their own.
Since Pfiser and Moderna have committed to producing a lot in short order: Pfiser - 1.4 billion does in 2021 (one company) and Moderna - 1 billion (again one company), it does not sound like a stretch to say several billions of doses will be produced very soon.
You can expect nothing in the next few weeks, but by mid-spring you probably will be able to get a shot even here in DR
From what I have read mid spring would be a bit optimistic for the start of vaccinations in the DR. Perhaps for those a highest risk it could start mid next year.

I am going with Q2 of 2022 for the relaxation of curfews. Let us see how close I am.

CristoRey

Welcome To Wonderland
Apr 1, 2014
All four times same station. All four times same extortion tactic. They take you in, an "officer" pulls you to the side and says "hey gringo, do you want to go home or do you want to sleep here tonight?". Once they finally realized they're weren't getting any money out of me, they stopped gcfinku with me. Problem was so wide spread throughout some areas of Santiago a few years ago that it made the news.

Status
Not open for further replies.