What's the Difference between Americans and Dominicans?

A.P.Colorado

Sep 1, 2020
prospective expat
If you put attention you will notice Christian crosses, statues of saints and virgins (most created and placed there by the government), quotes referring to the coming of Christ and other religious quotes on vehicles and on walls, etc all over the place. Santo Domingo is actually the city with the most buildings and monuments/parks that from the sky make the sign of the cross in all of the Americas. In fact, Plaza de la Bandera has to be the largest Christian cross in the hemisphere. Most holidays and official non-workable/non-school days are religious in nature. Jesus Christ is present even on the main desk of the judges at the Supreme Court. There is a large Christian cross on the auditorium of the Central Bank. Major meetings such as those done by the Central Bank once a year to go over how the economy did starts with a prayer. Inaugurations from the government and many private ones includes a short sermon from a priest, a short prayer, and the spread of Holy Water. The national flag has a Christian cross (and its not the white one that divides it into four cuadrants, that actually means the uniting of all the colors and races that make up the Dominican people) and its the only flag with a Christian cross. In addition, right underneath the cross is a Bible, the only flag with that too. Its very common for Dominicans to have a Christian cross or a painting of Jesus Christ or of the virgin in their homes. Believe it or not, its very common in upper class homes to have a Christian cross with Jesus Christ hanging on the wall behind the main bed of the husband/wife. You will see stickers of the virgin on many windshields and/or rosaries hanging from the rearview mirrors of many vehicles. That is only the tip of the iceberg regarding this topic.

In the USA, other than the quote "In God We Trust" which is on every dollar bill and that every president is sworn into power by putting his hand on the Bible, religion is actually not as ubiquous. One thing that will never happen is the US government putting statues of religious figures all over the place. The division of church and state is a long held belief by Americans and it shows, even though it is the most religious country in the developed world.
Wow! Great perspective. Thank you

johne

Silver
Jun 28, 2003
Excellent. It seems like we are understanding each other better. That's part of my intent. I want to bring people closer together, not drive them apart. ☮️
Excellent! Can you share with us how you might use this work to "Bring people closer together and not drive them apart "?

A.P.Colorado

Sep 1, 2020
prospective expat
Excellent! Can you share with us how you might use this work to "Bring people closer together and not drive them apart "?
It will be difficult, no doubt. At the start of the video, it will address that this topic is relying on big generalizations. Every person is an individual, and are very capable of being unique to the norms. I might also address that every nation will have differences amongst class, generation, and there will be nuances from city to city. Addressing these types of caveats tends to bore audiences, so it will have to be quick and effective.

I will bring this up in the conclusion as well. The conclusion will have to be very well crafted to drive home this point. Everyone is an individual, and will have their own unique character regardless of where they come from. The final line will be some kind of call to action like, "If you really want to know the difference between Dominicans and Americans, go talk to one."

I am also thinking of poking fun at American culture, and holding Dominican culture in a higher esteem. I think this will help reduce to the risk of being offensive since I myself am American. But it also runs the risk of being inauthentic. If too unbalanced, it will seem kind of propaganda-ish. I didn't even want to bring up economics, but from this thread and a few others it seems like this has to be addressed.

These types of projects tend to evolve while they are being created, but that is the direction I am leaning towards right now. Do you have any suggestions? It is tough to balance being entertaining while also being tasteful; I am certainly open to input and ideas.

David B

Aug 31, 2017
While all of the Dominicans I know want money, they don't seem terribly interested in working. I honestly have to say that I think Dominicans are lazy. And believe me, as a life-long sloucher, I respect that!

johne

Silver
Jun 28, 2003
It will be difficult, no doubt. At the start of the video, it will address that this topic is relying on big generalizations. Every person is an individual, and are very capable of being unique to the norms. I might also address that every nation will have differences amongst class, generation, and there will be nuances from city to city. Addressing these types of caveats tends to bore audiences, so it will have to be quick and effective.

I will bring this up in the conclusion as well. The conclusion will have to be very well crafted to drive home this point. Everyone is an individual, and will have their own unique character regardless of where they come from. The final line will be some kind of call to action like, "If you really want to know the difference between Dominicans and Americans, go talk to one."

I am also thinking of poking fun at American culture, and holding Dominican culture in a higher esteem. I think this will help reduce to the risk of being offensive since I myself am American. But it also runs the risk of being inauthentic. If too unbalanced, it will seem kind of propaganda-ish. I didn't even want to bring up economics, but from this thread and a few others it seems like this has to be addressed.

These types of projects tend to evolve while they are being created, but that is the direction I am leaning towards right now. Do you have any suggestions? It is tough to balance being entertaining while also being tasteful; I am certainly open to input and ideas.
My immediate thought is: The contrast study would be more meaningful if it was DR and Haiti not DR and USA. And "poking fun at American culture " right now does not serve any purpose whatsoever. The U.S. (and the DR ) are dealing with far too many crisis to think funny.

Reactions: Caonabo

Auryn

Apr 22, 2012
I am also thinking of poking fun at American culture, and holding Dominican culture in a higher esteem. I think this will help reduce to the risk of being offensive since I myself am American. But it also runs the risk of being inauthentic.

Your original post has this vibe to a degree, and seems to come from “Rose colored glasses view” of a new expat. But that may just be the generalizations that are only true in some cases.

rogerjac

Bronze
Feb 9, 2012
Most dominicans have given in to the fact that wealth is just a fantasy, a dream and unobtainable. Working gets them only basics and they realize that so why work more or harder. Why do you think there is a loto booth on every corner. Its the only way they see to make the quantum leap.

Reactions: Neargale

johne

Silver
Jun 28, 2003
Most dominicans have given in to the fact that wealth is just a fantasy, a dream and unobtainable. Working gets them only basics and they realize that so why work more or harder. Why do you think there is a loto booth on every corner. Its the only way they see to make the quantum leap.
Or became a baseball star!⚾🥎

CristoRey

Welcome To Wonderland
Apr 1, 2014
My immediate thought is: The contrast study would be more meaningful if it was DR and Haiti not DR and USA. And "poking fun at American culture " right now does not serve any purpose whatsoever. The U.S. (and the DR ) are dealing with far too many crisis to think funny.
Lighten up.

johne

Silver
Jun 28, 2003
In the big picture you could be very helpful to your new found country.Learn all about the people living in poverty in the small villages. Become aware of kids that are working in the dark on old wood doors that are their desk while we go thru the pandemic. Get out into the rural areas with your camera and show the real DR.( There are millions of beautiful photos of the beaches on line which you showed on your previous video.)
Your camera can make a powerful statement to people outside of this country and perhaps in some way you can support the DR that needs help right now.
I can help you here in the south east and led you to a small village that will provide you with all the content you will ever need to make a difference in this world. I will personally introduce you to the teachers, the children , the community leaders. They will open their doors to you on my word that what you want to see is for their good.
Let me know if I can help you with a project like this.

Auryn

Apr 22, 2012
The like is for the Dire Straits reference.

I do not agree that Dominicans are lazy.

Reactions: JD Jones

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
The like is for the Dire Straits reference.

I do not agree that Dominicans are lazy.
I agree, most aren't, however I have never seen so many overweight young people, as in the past ten years. I remember when I first came here in the mid-1990s that I noted that most Dominicans were slim, not anymore. If I had to name a Dominican characteristic that surprised me would be how impatient they are.

A.P.Colorado

Sep 1, 2020
prospective expat
In the big picture you could be very helpful to your new found country.Learn all about the people living in poverty in the small villages. Become aware of kids that are working in the dark on old wood doors that are their desk while we go thru the pandemic. Get out into the rural areas with your camera and show the real DR.( There are millions of beautiful photos of the beaches on line which you showed on your previous video.)
Your camera can make a powerful statement to people outside of this country and perhaps in some way you can support the DR that needs help right now.
I can help you here in the south east and led you to a small village that will provide you with all the content you will ever need to make a difference in this world. I will personally introduce you to the teachers, the children , the community leaders. They will open their doors to you on my word that what you want to see is for their good.
Let me know if I can help you with a project like this.
That sounds amazing, but my budget is limited for the time being and I will have to do all my filming in the north west. I do plan to circle the coast, month by month, and would be very interested in doing something like this when I get closer to the south east. Hopefully we can do this sooner if I get a windfall of subscribers and patrons, but that's like hoping to win the lottery. It is a grind to become sustainable content maker. I am definitely interested, but it will take time.

Reactions: aarhus

johne

Silver
Jun 28, 2003
That sounds amazing, but my budget is limited for the time being and I will have to do all my filming in the north west. I do plan to circle the coast, month by month, and would be very interested in doing something like this when I get closer to the south east. Hopefully we can do this sooner if I get a windfall of subscribers and patrons, but that's like hoping to win the lottery. It is a grind to become sustainable content maker. I am definitely interested, but it will take time.
ok

CristoRey

Welcome To Wonderland
Apr 1, 2014
OP asked for suggestions, didn't he? Those are my suggestions.
I agree, most aren't, however I have never seen so many overweight young people, as in the past ten years. I remember when I first came here in the mid-1990s that I noted that most Dominicans were slim, not anymore. If I had to name a Dominican characteristic that surprised me would be how impatient they are.
100% agreed.

JD Jones

Moderator:North Coast,Santo Domingo,SW Coast,Covid
Jan 7, 2016

One of the things I always say is different now than when I first came here was:
1. It seemed like everyone used public transportation.
2. A lot more women didn't wear bras,
3. Overweight people were few and far between.

Fulano2

Bronze
Jun 5, 2011
Europe
I am writing a script on the cultural differences between Dominicans and Americans. What are some of the big differences that you have noticed?

So far I am notating that:
* Americans are more polite (like always saying "please, thank you, may I, etc.) Dominicans are more outgoing
* Americans always plan, Dominicans live in the present
* There's more socializing in Dominican communities
* Dominicans are more straight forward, Americans tend to us euphemisms a lot more (especially for sex and dating)
* Dominicans tend to be more traditional Catholics in that they don't like relics or images of non Christian religions. America is becoming more secular.
* Family is much more important to Dominicans
* Americans care more about careers and wealth, whereas Dominicans care more about relationships and family
* Americans rely on the internet way more than Dominicans

Any other major differences that I forgot? Any points that I got completley wrong? Thanks in Advance.
What kind of thesis is it, if I may ask? Social studies? The first critic would be it’s a bit generalist. Don’t you think so?
Or is it some high school project?

P.S I didn’t read all the comments before posting.

Caonabo

LIFE IS GOOD
Sep 27, 2017

Is this yet another YouTube project? :unsure::sneaky: