Nickel with tin plating
Apr 12, 2019
Boca Chica
yeshaiticanprogram.com

josh2203

Bronze
Dec 5, 2013
Them and the shoe shine boys.

So there is supposedly this govt agency (CONANI??), of which I'm not too sure what they do, but why aren't they or some other govt agency picking up these kids?? Two things that have failed badly here: parenting and government... If those two would work, no shoe shine boys nor limpiavidrios.

I have never used the services of these shoe shine people, and we generally speaking do not allow our windows to be cleaned nor give them anything. Why? Because I only want to discourage that behavior. I know it's certainly not the kids fault that they are doing that, but it's also not correct that complete strangers have to do the parent's and govt's job because both of them are just utterly and completely incompetent. It's dangerous that the small kids are on the street between cars and motos, they should be studying. Kids should not be working in the first place, their "job" is to study and play, be kids, not adults... They have plenty of time to be adults...

We're almost in 2021, the govt here is investing quite a bit in a few different things and I think it's embarrassing and disgraceful that these two professions (carried out by underage kids) even exist. Grown up shoe shining people may be fine, but not kids... I hope Abinader does something smart here...

Reactions: JD Jones

Auryn

Apr 22, 2012
To date, these children are invisible to the government and the wealthy. They are merely an annoyance at intersections and an irritating interruption. Many literally work to feed themselves. They live in wooden shacks or corrugated metal shantys, in slums and poor barrios.

Millions of children around the world don’t get the chance to be kids.

In many cases, neither did their parents. Blaming parents for this is a dangerous dead end and hurts only the children at the end of the day.

Supporting organizations that give these kids a possible chance at a better future is so worthwhile. Waiting for the government to do it is like waiting for pigs to fly (to date). That’s my disclaimer in the off chance Abinader makes a progressive change.

Reactions: JD Jones

aarhus

Long live King Frederik X
Jun 10, 2008
To date, these children are invisible to the government and the wealthy. They are merely an annoyance at intersections and an irritating interruption. Many literally work to feed themselves. They live in wooden shacks or corrugated metal shantys, in slums and poor barrios.

In many cases, neither did their parents. Blaming parents for this is a dangerous dead end and hurts only the children at the end of the day.

Supporting organizations that give these kids a possible chance at a better future is so worthwhile. Waiting for the government to do it is like waiting for pigs to fly (to date). That’s my disclaimer in the off chance Abinader makes a progressive change.
Wasn’t there some change when they started giving breakfast and lunch at schools. But that is of course probably all suspended now with the virtual classes.

Auryn

Apr 22, 2012
Wasn’t there some change when they started giving breakfast and lunch at schools. But that is of course probably all suspended now with the virtual classes.
To children who did attend, yes. The window washers and shoe shine boys usually do not.

aarhus

Long live King Frederik X
Jun 10, 2008
To children who did attend, yes. The window washers and shoe shine boys usually do not.
I thought it might have motivated some to send their kids to school. The kids at least where feed there. I thought I saw lees kids in the street than before but I wasn’t sure. Of course if they now don’t offer it there would be more kids now in the streets.

Reactions: Auryn

malko

Campesino !! :)
Jan 12, 2013
I thought it might have motivated some to send their kids to school. The kids at least where feed there. I thought I saw lees kids in the street than before but I wasn’t sure. Of course if they now don’t offer it there would be more kids now in the streets.

They do still offer it.
Once a week, or every 2 weeks, the kids get a " food parcel" ,ie some bananas, milk cartons, juice cartons, biscuits, etc..... Nothing to write home about, but I guess it's something.

Reactions: MikeFisher

josh2203

Bronze
Dec 5, 2013

Yes, I agree with you on the dead end. My point was only how it's supposed to be. Yes, I also agree with you that non-govt organizations may be the only hope they have. The govt not doing their job is the principal culprit

Reactions: Auryn

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
So there is supposedly this govt agency (CONANI??), of which I'm not too sure what they do, but why aren't they or some other govt agency picking up these kids?? Two things that have failed badly here: parenting and government... If those two would work, no shoe shine boys nor limpiavidrios.

I have never used the services of these shoe shine people, and we generally speaking do not allow our windows to be cleaned nor give them anything. Why? Because I only want to discourage that behavior. I know it's certainly not the kids fault that they are doing that, but it's also not correct that complete strangers have to do the parent's and govt's job because both of them are just utterly and completely incompetent. It's dangerous that the small kids are on the street between cars and motos, they should be studying. Kids should not be working in the first place, their "job" is to study and play, be kids, not adults... They have plenty of time to be adults...

We're almost in 2021, the govt here is investing quite a bit in a few different things and I think it's embarrassing and disgraceful that these two professions (carried out by underage kids) even exist. Grown up shoe shining people may be fine, but not kids... I hope Abinader does something smart here...
15 teenage girls escaped from CONANI in Jarabacoa this weekend.

MikeFisher

The Fisherman/Weather Mod
Feb 28, 2006
Punta Cana/DR
www.mikefisher.fun

Discourage them???
so you would prefer them to be like most in their situation, means look for something to steal or run a gang, sell some drugs around the schools etc etc??
I know quiet a large number of shoeshine kids here in the PC area, most are form a home where they would not get any decent amount of any food if they would not bring home some cash to pay for it. some do not even have a home, they are together with others of their kind and manage together to have a place to sleep and manage to buy their food every day. me, and i am not alone on this, always encourage them to attend school, too, which a significant number of them do, aside of doing a decent job to pay for a living, as KIDS.
the same goes for the guys washing windshields and selling stuff like phone chargers, flowers, wipers etc etc at the traffic lights.
they do a Job and they work, they are not like the so many others of their age and upcome stealing someone else's possessions, no burglars, no drug dealers, they do a simple job and while I really hate itto get my windshoeld wet at every other crossing, I respect those Kids and youngsters for their way to do work a decent thing instead of going with the flow of the youth looking up to the rappers and gangsters and turning up in jail before of adults age and beeing dead by young adults age anyways.

Auryn

Apr 22, 2012
thats not true for all.
there are the ones who attend school and the rest of their day they look for making money for food with real work, like shining shoes or washing your window.
No not all. Some have said they work after school.
But most of the ones I have asked tell me that they don’t have the money for the uniforms or supplies, so they don’t go. I’ve asked if they’d go if they had those things. They talk about siblings in school, or only having one parent, or living with a grandparent who can’t work.
Maybe sometimes they’re lying, but I know 9 times out of 10, the pocket change I’ve given them isn’t going to buy video games or Nike’s, it’s feeding them. Or their family.

josh2203

Bronze
Dec 5, 2013
Discourage them???
so you would prefer them to be like most in their situation, means look for something to steal or run a gang, sell some drugs around the schools etc etc??
I know quiet a large number of shoeshine kids here in the PC area, most are form a home where they would not get any decent amount of any food if they would not bring home some cash to pay for it. some do not even have a home, they are together with others of their kind and manage together to have a place to sleep and manage to buy their food every day. me, and i am not alone on this, always encourage them to attend school, too, which a significant number of them do, aside of doing a decent job to pay for a living, as KIDS.
the same goes for the guys washing windshields and selling stuff like phone chargers, flowers, wipers etc etc at the traffic lights.
they do a Job and they work, they are not like the so many others of their age and upcome stealing someone else's possessions, no burglars, no drug dealers, they do a simple job and while I really hate itto get my windshoeld wet at every other crossing, I respect those Kids and youngsters for their way to do work a decent thing instead of going with the flow of the youth looking up to the rappers and gangsters and turning up in jail before of adults age and beeing dead by young adults age anyways.

I agree with you, but the problem is, as I replied above wo Auryn, is that you took my point backwards... Definitely, I have full respect for anyone, regardless of their age, who are willing to do something good to earn their meals. This in particular when their parents, who should be the ones taking care of them, do not do this. Yes, I don't think we need to discuss what is better, be a crminal or work hard and earn something.

My point is, again, that this should not happen in the first place. The kids suffer, they have might have very narrow future, that should not be the case in the first place. Kids belong to school/hobbies/families etc. Not on the street.

By discouraging, again, I mean that it's dangerous for the kids to be on the streets day after day and them seeing it as a lucrative business more kids come to the street. The times they have cleaned our windows, they do an amazing job. They could just be damaging the vehicles, but they do not. I call that moral, for which I have great respect. Shoeshine thing is slightly different, you're not among vehicles and idiotic drivers day after day.

In Puerto Plata, they once cleared the traffic lights from these kids but I believe they are back already. We indeed live here but we really seldom use the main street Manolo Tavarez Justo where they mostly are, so I'm not reallfy familiar with the situation.