Coronavirus - In the DR

Status
Not open for further replies.

PICHARDO

One Dominican at a time, please!
May 15, 2003
Santiago de Los 30 Caballeros
We can only hope that in addition to the Corona-SARS virus these new vaccines might have some small mitigating impact on Corona viruses in general. Probably not but one can hope.

I don’t think so. When viruses mutate, the vaccine agent loses its potency and becomes too weak. This is one of the reasons we don’t have yet anything effective for the common flu or gripe as we know it here.

There are too many strains with highly mutated compositions. But! If one is to notice, the actual effect of protecting against COVID-19, has resulted in a major benefit of isolating the flu 🤧for the most part.

When was the last time you came in contact with someone with the flu lately? Very rare...

JD Jones

Moderator:North Coast,Santo Domingo,SW Coast,Covid
Jan 7, 2016
A reminder this is the COVID IN THE DR thread, not the How Covid started thread.

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004

Correct me if I am wrong, but I remember seeing the Oxford vaccine as the one the DR will be using. If it is this is good news for sure.

Reactions: drstock

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004

Correct me if I am wrong, but I remember seeing the Oxford vaccine as the one the DR will be using. If it is this is good news for sure.
You are correct. Bill Gates said it worked well.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
10,000,000 shots on order.....
God only knows how long it will take to fill that order and then inject everyone once.

Two doses are needed one month apart so they will have to double that order. First and half dose and then a full dose one month later.
Or would that mean increasing the order by 50% to reach the half and full dose regimen requirement?

zoomzx11

Gold
Jan 21, 2006
God only knows how long it will take to fill that order and then inject everyone once.

Two doses are needed one month apart so they will have to double that order. First and half dose and then a full dose one month later.
Or would that mean increasing the order by 50% to reach the half and full dose regimen requirement?
Have you considered that about half the population will not want the vaccine?
Add in those that will wait and see and it could be more than 50% at least for the first year or so.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009

AstraZeneca said there were four million dozes already in vials ready for distribution, but regulators must give the green light before distribution can begin. That process is likely to take several weeks, but the first jabs are expected to take place in Britain this year.

PICHARDO

May 15, 2003
Responding to PICHARDO--- CV19 is rising again in China. Seems hard to eliminate. Eventually 1 out of 200 could still die if vaccines don't work out as well as has been recently stated.
Yeah, I know China will shut it down by forcing everyone to stay home and deliver bags of rice to their doors. They can do that in China.

Winde... China is on a league of its own!
Man! A 1,000 plus beds hospital in 10 days!

They can deal with a few cases from time to time I’ll dare say.

We in the DR need our own Dominican miracle...
Like a Lego set and modular...
But that’s just me, wishfully 🤔 thinking 💭

For some reason COVID-19 has become more contagious but less deadlier? Or is it the learning curve by the health institutions and medical teams? Or both?

The problem with opening up the streets without restrictions to the people, is exactly the collapse of the health care system if it increases uncontrollably. Look at Germany! Not looking promising there.

I think we here in the DR should continue to flatten the curve until we have that vaccine 💉 in the country. There’s no need to lose our elders just because we want to have fun at night. I however think the curfew should be from 11 pm to 5 am weekdays, and 9 pm to 6 am on weekends.
Keep restrictions on bars and big crowds. Keep clubs closed. Let us enjoy the peaceful nights longer!

Cdn_Gringo

Gold
Apr 29, 2014
In a nutshell, giving half the regular dosage in the first injection of the vaccine seems to produce a better immune response than getting the full dosage. It is surmised that the smaller amount of virus better mimics how the virus invades the body on its own. The first half dosage is followed by a second full strength does to reinforce the original immune response from the first injection. That's how I understand it.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
In a nutshell, giving half the regular dosage in the first injection of the vaccine seems to produce a better immune response than getting the full dosage. It is surmised that the smaller amount of virus better mimics how the virus invades the body on its own. The first half dosage is followed by a second full strength does to reinforce the original immune response from the first injection. That's how I understand it.
Yes, it is confusing and confounding the virologists 'round world that this seems to be true. AZ stock fell over this recent confusing news.

melphis

Living my Dream
Apr 18, 2013
How is it confusing. All the vaccines so far are 2 dose. Take the first dose. Mark on you calender that in 21 to 28 days later, you take the second dose.
I know a lot of us haven't been out much lately with the curfew you but come on, this isn't rocket science. People can't become that brain dead in 7 months.

PICHARDO

May 15, 2003
I think that elderly and high risk individuals should be second on list to health care providers.
After those, then hit the essential services (food chain, manufacturing, distribution and stocking) the emergency, security, etc (police, utilities, teachers, etc) and lastly on the 20 plus yo population.

Cdn_Gringo

Gold
Apr 29, 2014
I just hope that the distribution of the vaccine is easy to obtain and offered in many places. I do not wish to have to beg a ride to get vaccinated. I also hope that there is lots of notice when vaccines will be available in Sosua or nearby so that there is a chance I will hear about their availability so I can go get it. If dv8 were still around her posting about vaccine clinics would be invaluable.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
How is it confusing. All the vaccines so far are 2 dose. Take the first dose. Mark on you calender that in 21 to 28 days later, you take the second dose.
I know a lot of us haven't been out much lately with the curfew you but come on, this isn't rocket science. People can't become that brain dead in 7 months.
The fact that the AZ vaccine works better with a half dose followed by a full dose works better than two full doses is what is confusing experts.
They must be dense, eh? Consumed all by a Covid fog, perhaps.

Status
Not open for further replies.