This to combat the 'excesses' of nightlife. - Bourbon Street now a Department Store

chico bill

Dogs Better than People
May 6, 2016
You overestimate the buying power of poor Dominicans. For many, things sold in this type of store is the only thing they can afford.

It's also why the Chinese Pica Pollos do so well. Their food is totally acceptable for poor folks, they're cheap and give more food than many other places.

Show a little compassion for them.
Give me a break...............nice ploy "compassion" You think Chinese have compassion ?

Big

Apr 24, 2019
At least prostitutes are selling a longer lasting product
The entire town thrives on this product (chicas). They also purchase cheap almost disposable work uniforms (short skirts and spike heels) from these cheap joints

Reactions: aarhus

CristoRey

Welcome To Wonderland
Apr 1, 2014
The entire town thrives on this product (chicas). They also purchase cheap almost disposable work uniforms (short skirts and spike heels) from these cheap joints
I hope I live long enough to see that change someday.

lifeisgreat

Enjoying Life
May 7, 2016
You overestimate the buying power of poor Dominicans. For many, things sold in this type of store are the only thing they can afford.

It's also why the Chinese Pica Pollos do so well. Their food is totally acceptable for poor folks, they're cheap and give more food than many other places.

Show a little compassion for them.
It’s not so much the product but where it is located ...

Reactions: CristoRey

ctrob

Silver
Nov 9, 2006
well they say if one stays slim and watches his alcohol intake with modern meds it will be quite common to be a centennial

It won't take that long. The china virus just hammered a couple more nails in that coffin.

interim888

Oct 2, 2019
This store has absolutely identical products like the one 200-300 m from it (close to Coral photo), the only difference is that the new one is bigger. Is there such a high demand for these products to have two stores practically on the same street?

Reactions: CristoRey

CristoRey

Welcome To Wonderland
Apr 1, 2014
This store has absolutely identical products like the one 200-300 m from it (close to Coral photo), the only difference is that the new one is bigger. Is there such a high demand for these products to have two stores practically on the same street?
Center of downtown Santiago,
same logic applies.

JD Jones

Moderator:North Coast,Santo Domingo,SW Coast,Covid
Jan 7, 2016
Have you ever been to Chinatown in SD with 10-15 restaurants next to each other?

JD Jones

Jan 7, 2016
What Chinatown are you talking about? The one off of Avienda Mexico close to Parque Enriquillo? If so, I haven't seen that many there. It's only about 2 blocks long.
Yes, but it doesn't which one. There's always a lot of similar businesses next to each other in any Chinatown

Reactions: NanSanPedro

JD Jones

Jan 7, 2016
No, I haven't been there but Sosua and SD are a bit different. They may have demand for 15 restaurants.

Of course not.
But it's not about turning a profit.
Those stores don't belong to persons running them, they belong to a higher authority who will use them to launder money.
Just like the pica pollos all over the island.
Almost all of them are required to buy their raw ingredients from one source. Haven't you even noticed the food is the same no matter which one you go to?
All of these stores have the same products too.
All of this is controlled by a Chinese network here in SD.
I was good friends with a chinese woman who ran a pica pollo next to my job. She was the one who clued me in on how it works.

chico bill

Dogs Better than People
May 6, 2016
Of course not.
But it's not about turning a profit.
Those stores don't belong to persons running them, they belong to a higher authority who will use them to launder money.
Just like the pica pollos all over the island.
Almost all of them are required to buy their raw ingredients from one source. Haven't you even noticed the food is the same no matter which one you go to?
All of these stores have the same products too.
All of this is controlled by a Chinese network here in SD.
I was good friends with a chinese woman who ran a pica pollo next to my job. She was the one who clued me in on how it works.
Chinese laundry? Makes sense. No tickie, no washy

Norberto61

Jun 21, 2015
So - to recap - they close a bar that generated tens of thousands of dollars on a busy week and employed lots of Dominicans and - ahem- other freelance service workers for yet another Chinese dollar store - alrighty then - oh ya I can see the tourists flocking down Pedro to get a waving kitty
5dc69f448727b812c2547bec-large.jpg

tee

Bronze
Sep 14, 2007
Cabarete
I understand that the Chinese are also the ones building that big structure at the lights in from of Metro on the highway.
I might be possible but usually the Chinese opt to rent a location as opposed to buying land and building something new. The last thing we need in this town is yet another Chinese store. People have commented on the numerous Chinese pica pollo's but to my knowledge there is only one left, the one opposite the police station and the food there, well, let's just say it is questionable! If anyone had any sense they would do a proper sit down Chinese restaurant in Sosua, not the crappy buffest style. The place in Cabarete has been there for so long now, the place looks like crap but the food is pretty good and well priced and is hugely popular. The other place, the one on the beach side is also pretty good although they do have the pica pollo section. I have tried to order food and it was all good. Could really do with one like that in Sosua.....but no more stores and no more pica pollos please!

CristoRey

Welcome To Wonderland
Apr 1, 2014
So - to recap - they close a bar that generated tens of thousands of dollars on a busy week and employed lots of Dominicans and - ahem- other freelance service workers for yet another Chinese dollar store - alrighty then - oh ya I can see the tourists flocking down Pedro to get a waving kitty
Sosua Bars open.
Sosua Bars get harassed.
Some survive. Some don't.
We live to drink another day.
As the pole turns...

j_d66

Nov 1, 2012
Not really another Chinese store as they are simply relocating across the street so the other one will be gone. Bourbon Street was hardly making tens of thousands of dollars a week in that location. There were weeks they could not even make payroll. It might have looked busy but on closer examination there often were a group of chicas all sharing a grande. It might make them look busy but that doesn't generate much cash flow. During low season they would close all together as it probably didn't make sense to be open.

Reactions: Big