fence height

Taylor

Buy the ticket, take the ride
Jan 28, 2005
Does anyone know if there is a law about how high a fence you can build around your property? I'm not in a gated community or anything, thinking of building a privacy fence (wall) out of block.

Thanks in advance.

zoomzx11

Gold
Jan 21, 2006
Mine is stones and I think it looks better.
Labor is not expensive here so it may be cheaper.
We did it more tastefully in the front with a short section of block and a metal gate.
People passing by can look in but the dogs discourage anyone stopping.

JD Jones

Moderator:North Coast,Santo Domingo,SW Coast,Covid
Jan 7, 2016
Does anyone know if there is a law about how high a fence you can build around your property? I'm not in a gated community or anything, thinking of building a privacy fence (wall) out of block.

Thanks in advance.

Like the man said, just about any height you want. 8-10 ft high fences with coiled barbed wire or embedding glass bottles are very common.

But if some thief follows you into your place when you pull in a fence won't do you much good.

Reactions: zoomzx11

zoomzx11

Gold
Jan 21, 2006
Untill they eat the bad salami.

Wall/fence + a couple of big scary dogs does the trick ;)

Having a well thought out plan to protect yourself against home invasion is a good investment.
Outside dogs and one inside dog you can be safe from sudden surprises.
Add in a little bit of construction to make the bedroom into a safe room with a reinforced door.
Love these concrete homes.

Reactions: JD Jones

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
Guys, the OP is building a privacy wall, not an electrified security perimeter.

I can understand that. Before we built ours, I can remember seeing a line of chairs facing our property from the front and one side. We used to feel like we were their late afternoon and evening entertainment (few tv owners in our campo). These days we sometimes see 3-4 kids poking their heads over the wall when we have guests, sometimes they climb up and sit on top. A LOT of people live on the property next door, and they weren’t happy when we built the wall, even threatened to knock holes in it because they were sure it was going to make their homes flood when it rained. 🤦‍♀️

monfongo

Bronze
Feb 10, 2005
A wall is not a good idea because once people get over the wall nobody can see what they are doing, a combination wall and wrought iron is better and it looks better.

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
A wall is not a good idea because once people get over the wall nobody can see what they are doing, a combination wall and wrought iron is better and it looks better.
That’s a matter of preference. We did it for privacy, not security. Cant see through our gate either. The entire rear and about half of one side is just barbed wire, but it’s a 15 tarea finca.

zoomzx11

Gold
Jan 21, 2006
Building a high wall, imbedding broken glass and using razor wire can give the impression you have valuables to protect.

A week after I bought my house and before we did any improvements or had dogs we had a thief get inside the kitchen through a jealousie window.
We heard the noises from our upstairs bedroom.
Even though we were armed I resisted the temptation to go look.
After watching horror movies I no longer go investigate strange noises in the night.
On wife's advice I fired off a few shots out the window into the back yard.
Thief stole a old blender.
Realizing it could have been much worse it motivated us to make changes.

If you do nothing else making your bedroom into a safer room is worthwhile.
You can always buy a new blender or a tv.