Any DR1er Infected With Coronavirus/Covid-19?

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
There are plenty of threads about Covid-19 and its effects in the Dominican Republic, but there is not a single thread about DR1 members that either suffered, are suffering or know of someone close that suffered/are suffering from Covid-19.

All these folks, if they exist, could share in this thread their experiences, however mild or severe it was/is.

CristoRey

Welcome To Wonderland
Apr 1, 2014
I contracted the influenza going around in Feb of this year.
Had all of the Covid symptoms except for the shortness of breath.
Everyone in my building had it. No one died.
Was it Covid?
To this day nobody knows. All of my neighbors (aged 20 - 70) all have the
same attitude. People get sick. People get well and life goes on.
None of the 200+ Dominicans I know living here have had a friend or family member
get sick or die from Covid.

Reminds of the guy who was sitting at the bar who overheard the two girls
who work in the hair salon talking about......

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
We have had four teachers either get it or their spouses got it. One teacher whose husband is a doctor , he got it, and her and her five year daughter never got it (tested negative twice), two of our young ladies both got it and it was like a mild cold for them. One of our cleaners, in her forties, got it and was sick at home for about 10 days but never in the hospital. We currently have another employee that has it and is almost recovered. Lots of dengue and a vicious cold going around as well.

Last edited by a moderator:

zoomzx11

Gold
Jan 21, 2006
We have had four teachers either get it or their spouses got it. One teacher whose husband is a doctor , he got it, and her and her five year daughter never got it (tested negative twice), two of our young ladies both got it and it was like a mild cold for them. One of our cleaners, in her forties, got it and was sick at home for about 10 days but never in the hospital. We currently have another employee that has it and is almost recovered. Lots of dengue and a vicious cold going around as well.
When you type get it or has it these are people who were tested and determined to have CV19 or people who were ill?

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: Michael DR

malko

Campesino !! :)
Jan 12, 2013
This week, family friend here in the campo, his father ( supposed to be 90, but this being the DR campo, nobody really knows, including him, I guess ).

Time frame : a couple of weeks from symptoms to death.
Geographic : house to local hospital. Very quickly they suspected covid-19, sent to public hospital in POP, tested positive for covid-19. Died a week or 2 later.
No family members or neighbours were tested.

Subsequently, a few days ago, the body was brought back to our campo by " special covid unit " in a sealed coffin.
30 mn were allowed for people to pay their respects BUT were not allowed in and 2 PN were in faction in front of the house to make sure nobody got in, not even family members.
When time was up, he was burried.

The deceased have never been burried so fast in the DR. Hardly any " belas" (?) anymore.

CristoRey

Welcome To Wonderland
Apr 1, 2014
This week, family friend here in the campo, his father ( supposed to be 90, but this being the DR campo, nobody really knows, including him, I guess ).

Time frame : a couple of weeks from symptoms to death.
Geographic : house to local hospital. Very quickly they suspected covid-19, sent to public hospital in POP, tested positive for covid-19. Died a week or 2 later.
No family members or neighbours were tested.

Subsequently, a few days ago, the body was brought back to our campo by " special covid unit " in a sealed coffin.
30 mn were allowed for people to pay their respects BUT were not allowed in and 2 PN were in faction in front of the house to make sure nobody got in, not even family members.
When time was up, he was burried.

The deceased have never been burried so fast in the DR. Hardly any " belas" (?) anymore.
Average life expectancy in the Dominican Republic is 73.69 years.
RIP.

Reactions: rfp

josh2203

Bronze
Dec 5, 2013
A few people that my wife knows (no immediate nor even distant family) have had it, we know two elderly people here that unfortunately passed away in the spring due to covid. One in NYC (the father of a friend of my wife's) and one elderly lady near where my FIL lives. My wife's sister has had twice a very high fever during the pandemic, but never anything else... She had not done the test... She has a family of 5 persons and all of them are perfectly fine...

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
When you type get it or has it these are people who were tested and determined to have CV19 or people who were ill?
All people that tested positive, except the teachers whose husband was the doctor. She never got it nor did her daughter even those they were with him when he was sick. She had no symptoms and tested negative twice.

Reactions: zoomzx11

scotia

Mar 18, 2004
My brother in law (50s) in SPM tested positive after the election, He did not mention having any major problems but got an 'injection' from his doctor friend. His daughter and her husband in Higuey also got it and apparently recovered easily. My husband's cousin (60) also in SPM got a bad case over the summer. Luckily his son insisted on taking him to the hospital in SD, when he was having serious trouble breathing, where he spent a week. He came out of there telling everyone that it was a serious disease and to wear your masks. Many of my husband's family in the US- NYC and N.C. have got it and one niece there has had it twice. Two cousins in Queens (aged 50, 80) died in April. One cousin told him that is WAY worse than any flu she ever had and thought she was going to die more than once over the month she suffered.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
Isn't the question whether any DR1 people have been afflicted ??

Others can be reported elsewhere

I'm w/ Cristo - I had the February malaise...... was it - or wasn't it ?

103/4F fever, all bronchial, exhausted, wheezing but not difficult breathing

Lasted several days

Nobody has reported here about being CV19 positive that I have read.....no personal experiences

aarhus

Long live King Frederik X
Jun 10, 2008
Isn't the question whether any DR1 people have been afflicted ??

Others can be reported elsewhere

I'm w/ Cristo - I had the February malaise...... was it - or wasn't it ?

103/4F fever, all bronchial, exhausted, wheezing but not difficult breathing

Lasted several days

Nobody has reported here about being CV19 positive that I have read.....no personal experiences
I also had something in February starting the day of the Superbowl.

chico bill

Dogs Better than People
May 6, 2016
In early March I had a weeks worth of headaches and cough and slight runny nose. Felt low, but I am above 70 and it could of been or not have been Covid. Never felt close to death. In Sept I got tested when back in Florida, but just the nasal swab, was negative, but the PCR is the test for antibodies. The nasal swab is probably worse than Covid for most.
I suspect many have had it or been next to it and warded it off.
Life goes on for the vast vast majority, almost unfazed, except for the ridiculous masks and curfews.

There is a married pair in DR who both claimed to have got it but then they claim every new disease (and most old ones), and several robberies or accidents or some new mal-fortune every other week - they are pure drama queens and if they actually had Covid, who can say, but yes they both survived as they have everyone of their other near fatal occurrences, and proudly carry their drama around in buckets to dish out.

Michael DR

Banned
Jun 7, 2020
Earth
I know people who were ill, one who recently died and two who had previously tested negative who then had severe issues and tested positive. One spent almost a month in ICU, intubated. I have friends that have lost 7 people they knew, mostly who lived or seasonally vacationed in Florida and Arizona. They also know dozens of others who have either tested positive or have been extremely ill with Covid symptoms. I know of many in the DR who have had Covid symptoms, 2 who passed away and many others so ill and week that they were incapacitated for weeks. This does not include at least 6 who still, months later have long term issues from Covid. Testing is not always easily available nor were all positive at the time. Anyone who minimizes this illness or denies it does so knowingly and against the preponderance of evidence.

Michael DR

Banned
Jun 7, 2020
Earth
Were any of those forum members !??
If you are asking me I'd refer you to the OP ;)

"There are plenty of threads about Covid-19 and its effects in the Dominican Republic, but there is not a single thread about DR1 members that either suffered, are suffering or know of someone close that suffered/are suffering from Covid-19."

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
Harleysrock and his wife both had severe cases. They’re still suffering after effects. I know several other here have tested positive, and been mildly to seriously ill, but I’ll leave it to them to comment if they choose to do so. I’m very concerned about one in particular.

Michael DR

Banned
Jun 7, 2020
Earth
This is that thread...... members only........as I read the initial question....
By NALS the poll taker
I'll mix some metaphors in the hope you "get it", but won't bother after this.

"You can lead a horse to water, but you can't make him think" ;)

From the OP: "or know of someone close that suffered/are suffering from Covid-19"

If you STILL don't get it that's a willful choice, and we both/all know it

wayne

Dec 25, 2003
In early March I had a weeks worth of headaches and cough and slight runny nose. Felt low, but I am above 70 and it could of been or not have been Covid. Never felt close to death. In Sept I got tested when back in Florida, but just the nasal swab, was negative, but the PCR is the test for antibodies. The nasal swab is probably worse than Covid for most.
I suspect many have had it or been next to it and warded it off.
Life goes on for the vast vast majority, almost unfazed, except for the ridiculous masks and curfews.

There is a married pair in DR who both claimed to have got it but then they claim every new disease (and most old ones), and several robberies or accidents or some new mal-fortune every other week - they are pure drama queens and if they actually had Covid, who can say, but yes they both survived as they have everyone of their other near fatal occurrences, and proudly carry their drama around in buckets to dish out.
I know who they are...lol

GringoRubio

Bronze
Oct 15, 2015
I had it. I probably caught it in February returning from the DR to Minneapolis. In the airport and the plane, there were travelers coming back from Europe as the epidemic took hold. I had a nasty headache for a few weeks, but the longer term effects were much worse as I seem to have the neurological effects which are only now starting to subside.