Fondue Restaurants?

campesinadeatl

Aug 13, 2020
Atlanta, GA
Hey there,

We’ll be visiting the month of January. Was wondering if anyone knows if there are any fondue restaurants in Jarabacoa/Constanza, Santiago, and/or the north coast (Cabrete)? Our favorite Meralto seems closed and was hoping to take my fiancé’s family to experience fondue as they’ve never had it. Thanks!

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
There is a German restaurant in Cabarate owned and operated by a Swiss National. Has been there like 16 years or more. His name is Ricardo and you will have to go in there either in the AM or a day in advance and tell him what you want. He can do this very will I can assure you.

I forgot the name but I can get you there. Coming into Cabarate from Sosua you will see a cell phone tower on your right. Make a right turn there and go a short distance and it will be on your left. You cannot miss it as there is nothing around there.

Also he has the best Wiener Schnitzel anywhere on the Island. I am pretty sure he is still open, as he lives there.

Abuela

Bronze
May 13, 2006
Hey there,

We’ll be visiting the month of January. Was wondering if anyone knows if there are any fondue restaurants in Jarabacoa/Constanza, Santiago, and/or the north coast (Cabrete)? Our favorite Meralto seems closed and was hoping to take my fiancé’s family to experience fondue as they’ve never had it. Thanks!
Parada Tipica El Choco on rte#5 across from entrance of Sosua Ocean Village. Great Italian-Swiss restaurant with fondue chalet within the main restaurant. Authentic fondue made with cheese from their family farm in Switzerland.

Bob K

Silver
Aug 16, 2004
Parada Tipica El Choco on rte#5 across from entrance of Sosua Ocean Village. Great Italian-Swiss restaurant with fondue chalet within the main restaurant. Authentic fondue made with cheese from their family farm in Switzerland.
Food here is consistently good and the fondues are a good choice for a relaxing meal here.
Bob K

JD Jones

Moderator:North Coast,Santo Domingo,SW Coast,Covid
Jan 7, 2016
Made with cheese from their family farm in Switzerland, or Made with cheese with a recipe from the their family farm in Switzerland?
Surely they're not importing cheese from Switzerland?

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
There is a German restaurant in Cabarate owned and operated by a Swiss National. Has been there like 16 years or more. His name is Ricardo and you will have to go in there either in the AM or a day in advance and tell him what you want. He can do this very will I can assure you.

I forgot the name but I can get you there. Coming into Cabarate from Sosua you will see a cell phone tower on your right. Make a right turn there and go a short distance and it will be on your left. You cannot miss it as there is nothing around there.

Also he has the best Wiener Schnitzel anywhere on the Island. I am pretty sure he is still open, as he lives there.
Beyerischerfhoff is the name of Ricardo's restaurant. I agree with your comments.

Reactions: campesinadeatl

Cdn_Gringo

Gold
Apr 29, 2014
Nothing at all on the internet or gmaps for Beyerischerfhoff is that spelled correctly? You would expect to be able to find some mention of the place somewhere.

Abuela

Bronze
May 13, 2006
Made with cheese from their family farm in Switzerland, or Made with cheese with a recipe from the their family farm in Switzerland?
Surely they're not importing cheese from Switzerland?
It is my understanding that they import it from their farm.

Fulano2

Bronze
Jun 5, 2011
Europe
Hey there,

What kind of fondue to you mean? Bourguignonne or cheese?

malko

Campesino !! :)
Jan 12, 2013
It is my understanding that they import it from their farm.

I would hope they are !!!! Fondue without gruyère and vacherin fribourgeois ?

P.S. fondue is usually a dish one eats at home, you can find all you need at carrefour or national.
Minus the moonshine :(

Cdn_Gringo

Gold
Apr 29, 2014
My place is a little off the beaten path.
So is your place different from the restaurant named above? I was operating on the idea that the named restaurant was the one you gave directions to.

tee

Bronze
Sep 14, 2007
Cabarete
The cheese fondue at Parada El Choco is delicious (and so is their meat fondue) . If you go there you must have it in their Swiss Chalet it creates a great ambiance. Have not had the fondue at Bayerischer Hof in Cabarete but I have had different dishes there and the food is delicious. I now make my fondue at home when I can get Gruyere from Carrefour as the Gruyere cheese in Playero is 1000 pesos a pound and in Carrefour it is 600 pesos a pound. Playero have a Gruyere Criolo that is much cheaper but it is not good for fondue. For the other cheese I use Emmental is only around 400 pesos a pound. Also for those that want to make theirs at home, Super Super is the only place that sells Kirsch and you should use a little in the fondue and Kirsch is also good as a digestif after the meal as it helps break down the cheese...or it's just a good excuse to have a shot after dinner!

Reactions: Abuela and malko