Duck, Duck, Goose.... First time in 9 years I've seen this happen.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Caonabo

LIFE IS GOOD
Sep 27, 2017
Know from whence you speak. Crows ARE covered under the migratory species act. as are vultures and buzzards.
Never heard of "...eating crow..."?

1607706632196.png

1607706840807.png

1607706890551.png

Reactions: Russell

Big

Apr 24, 2019
Know from whence you speak. Crows ARE covered under the migratory species act. as are vultures and buzzards.
Never heard of "...eating crow..."?
I have shot more crows ( legally) during hunting season than most. There is no bag limit as zero. One can shoot as many as he wants and as long as his ammo lasts. Legally. I personally used a Browning Auto 5 w/ high brass 12 guage ammo. Hence the " what's the hub bub" with shooting some birds and losing ones freedom

CristoRey

Welcome To Wonderland
Apr 1, 2014
There's a difference between killing an animal and killing a person. Major difference raised to the infinite power.
I disagree. When it's necessary, it's necessary. This wasn't necessary and these fellas need to be made an example of as a deterrent for others.

Reactions: Auryn

Russell

Jun 17, 2017
I shall not argue the matter. However, in most North American (2) countries there are open seasons for hunting Migratory birds.
Its a sport and its a subsistence gathering hunt.
Geese, (Canada,Snow,Brant) duck, and now in Northern Saskatchewan Sand hill cranes.
This serves two main purposes, culls the flock and feeds thousands of people.
Canada Geese if left to their own will eventually take over a huge area. I have seen New York with so many Canada Geese that the city had to cull them,
THey migrate North in early spring and south in the fall.
In Nova Scotia we engage in the fall migratory goose and Duck hunt.

Crows are open season,,,, all you can kill. They have destroyed many bird sanctuaries.
However you had better know the difference between a crow and Raven , because a killed Raven could cost you your car/truck, gun, and a big fine.... inmost places. Ravens are a sacred bird to many indigenous peoples.

Maybe here in DR it is more like the need to reduce the indiscriminate use of firearms.
I have never seen the geese or ducks in the wild here...
I would love to shoot them (With my camera)

Reactions: Big

Russell

Jun 17, 2017
I wonder if they'll get jail time and/or fine. Hopefully both.
In addition they should have been ordered to pluck, clean and cook every bird then distribute them to the Poorer folk of the area they plundered from.

Big

Apr 24, 2019
In addition they should have been ordered to pluck, clean and cook every bird then distribute them to the Poorer folk of the area they plundered from.
The only thing I hunt now ( with a license) is/are varmints. They are more fun to shoot, there is no bag limit and no need to recover them from the field. I have trophy mounts ( legal ) from Africa in my home. Some find it interesting, some are repulsed. People that disparage sport shooting are almost always the first to eat a bacon cheese burger.

Reactions: Russell

CristoRey

Welcome To Wonderland
Apr 1, 2014
The only thing I hunt now ( with a license) is/are varmints. They are more fun to shoot, there is no bag limit and no need to recover them from the field. I have trophy mounts ( legal ) from Africa in my home. Some find it interesting, some are repulsed. People that disparage sport shooting are almost always the first to eat a bacon cheese burger.
If ya gonna kill something.
Ya need to have a good reason.
Killing this many birds/ ducks for
the hell of it is unacceptable...
Make that a bacon double cheese burger.

Big

Apr 24, 2019
If ya gonna kill something.
Ya need to have a good reason.
Killing this many birds/ ducks for
the hell of it is unacceptable...
Make that a bacon double cheese burger.
Check ...one none hunter!

Auryn

Apr 22, 2012
Geese, (Canada,Snow,Brant) duck, and now in Northern Saskatchewan Sand hill cranes.
This serves two main purposes, culls the flock and feeds thousands of people.

Totally off topic but where in Northern SK? Lived and worked North of 54 on the west side for quite awhile and I’ve never heard of anyone eating cranes. They’re fairly scrawny but a cull can definitely be healthy.

However you had better know the difference between a crow and Raven , because a killed Raven could cost you your car/truck, gun, and a big fine.... inmost places. Ravens are a sacred bird to many indigenous peoples
Off topic again but I drive by a huge stack of staw bales every day on my way to work. They’ve hung dead ravens on sticks to ward off others. It’s band owned land. Maybe they’re not at all sacred to the Cree? Possibly more Eastern.
I’ve seen a new born calf with its eyes damaged (pecked) by ravens before we could get it in the barn. We had them go after lambs too. They are opportunistic scavenging beasts.
I had a horse with a sore on her back- the ravens made a mess of that until we did away with them. I have not heard of it being illegal to kill them. But that’s the end of this off topic stretch for me.

Reactions: bob saunders

Sailor51

Happy to still be here
Oct 30, 2018
I have shot more crows ( legally) during hunting season than most. There is no bag limit as zero. One can shoot as many as he wants and as long as his ammo lasts. Legally. I personally used a Browning Auto 5 w/ high brass 12 guage ammo. Hence the " what's the hub bub" with shooting some birds and losing ones freedom
Excellent choice! Well cared for they last forever. I think my grand nephew is shooting my old one now.
Currently using a double gun in 12 ga. Classic side by side.

Sailor51

Happy to still be here
Oct 30, 2018
I am sure some environmental-nazi from the states pushed this. Game wardens think they are the saviors of the planet
Why do you think that? Because they'll write you a summons for breaking the law?
As far as "saving the planet" it is the only one we have so do take care of it. You live here too.

Status
Not open for further replies.