Tougher Covid-19 measures for Christmas

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dolores

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 20, 2019
Palacio-Nacional-Presidencia-1024x576.jpg

Vice President Raquel Peña announced stricter measures to discourage social gathering for Christmas. “We know it is not easy to ask for new sacrifices, but the pandemic still has a few months to go before the vaccine arrives,” said the Vice President.

“The Dominican government is actively negotiating the delivery dates for the first batches,” she advanced, stressing at the same time that keeping the virus under control is up to all citizens and not just the government.

During the press conference at the Presidential Palace, Vice President Peña who heads the Health Cabinet in the Abinader administration, announced a new ban on alcoholic sales after 6pm any day. The measure is in Decree 698-20) that goes into effect on Tuesday, 15 December 2020 as the government takes steps to curtail an increase in persons infected by Covid-19 virus.

Vice President Peña announced...

Continue reading...

Last edited by a moderator:

chico bill

Dogs Better than People
May 6, 2016
I guess the governments of the world want all businesses to fail and we all eat grass. I just contacted a friend who was coming with two others on the 20th, told them this BS and they are canceling their trip which was for a month. Cancel the villa they were to rent in Hispanola and the $150 a day each approx they spend per day and rebt-a-car
Screw this nonsense. Time to defy the orders.
Tourism is officially ended for DR.

DRob

Gold
Aug 15, 2007
Dolores,

Thanks for the update. It's frustrating, to say the least (I had planned at least three longer-stay trips this year). That said, we just hit 300k deaths in the US, with at least another 100k expected. I'm encouraged by the vaccines, but expect it will be at least April-May before supplies are generally available in the countries which send the most tourists (aka covid vectors) to DR.

Stay safe, everyone. That includes you covid deniers as well.

Reactions: zoomzx11

josh2203

Bronze
Dec 5, 2013
I guess the governments of the world want all businesses to fail and we all eat grass.

The thing is, they have introduced hard measures in Europe as well, but there, the governments actually help businesses and individuals to survive this thing... Not sure to what extent, if at all, that is really happening here...

While I understand your point, these businesses and private consumption is what brings money to the governments, so by limiting any business, they are limitng their own income as well... I do know that many countries in Europe are taking huge debts due to exactly this...

What I'm principally concerned about in here is things that happen when the authorities start actually enforcing the curfew and other restricitons on the 24th and 31st... I'd imagine they might experience "some" resistance... I know we'll be staying far away from all the madness...

NanSanPedro

Nickel with tin plating
Apr 12, 2019
Boca Chica
yeshaiticanprogram.com
The thing is, they have introduced hard measures in Europe as well, but there, the governments actually help businesses and individuals to survive this thing... Not sure to what extent, if at all, that is really happening here...

While I understand your point, these businesses and private consumption is what brings money to the governments, so by limiting any business, they are limitng their own income as well... I do know that many countries in Europe are taking huge debts due to exactly this...

What I'm principally concerned about in here is things that happen when the authorities start actually enforcing the curfew and other restricitons on the 24th and 31st... I'd imagine they might experience "some" resistance... I know we'll be staying far away from all the madness...

Definitely will be in hunker down mode those 2 nights.

NanSanPedro

Nickel with tin plating
Apr 12, 2019
Boca Chica
yeshaiticanprogram.com
Dolores,

Thanks for the update. It's frustrating, to say the least (I had planned at least three longer-stay trips this year). That said, we just hit 300k deaths in the US, with at least another 100k expected. I'm encouraged by the vaccines, but expect it will be at least April-May before supplies are generally available in the countries which send the most tourists (aka covid vectors) to DR.

Stay safe, everyone. That includes you covid deniers as well.

There are no covid deniers. There are those of us that think the alleged cure is worse than the disease. Sorry if we offend you....ah, not really!

chico bill

Dogs Better than People
May 6, 2016
There are no covid deniers. There are those of us that think the alleged cure is worse than the disease. Sorry if we offend you....ah, not really!
You can't reason with the victim mentality. Covid is real but the reaction is asinine. It's not a death sentence for the vast overwhelming majority.
If the DR shut down NY travellers and the Brits and Italians they could do away with the curfews

CristoRey

Welcome To Wonderland
Apr 1, 2014
We're all going to die from Covid.
The virus is going to hunt you down
like a dog in street. The Grim Reaper has arrived and he is coming for you freaks!

Mean while the rest of us will continue living our lives as we normally do while exercising a little common sense.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
From the Presidents website just now:

(it does appear the new curfew is for the indicated provinces only but the new hours will apply nationally for 24th and 31st December)

Health Cabinet presents measures to mitigate COVID-19 during Christmas festivities

https://presidencia.gob.do/noticias/gab … -navidenas

The Vice President of the Republic, Raquel Peña, led a press conference accompanied by the plenary session of the Health Cabinet in the Las Cariátides Room of the National Palace, where new sanitary measures were announced for the Christmas and New Year celebrations.

The coordinator of the Health Cabinet assured that the Government led by President Luis Abinader must ensure that the health and life of all its governed be preserved and to do so, it will never hesitate to choose the greatest good over the most popular. "We all agree that between health and fun the greatest good is health," she said.

Among the new provisions, a new curfew schedule for the National District and the provinces of Santo Domingo, Santiago, Duarte, La Vega and Puerto Plata stands out, which will be from Monday to Sunday from 7:00 p.m. to 5:00 p.m. in the morning; with free transit until 9:00 at night, thus ensuring a reasonable time for citizens to reach their homes.

The Health Cabinet explained that according to current epidemiological data “our country must anticipate measures to keep contagions under control during the days of the Christmas and New Year holidays. For this reason, for December 24 and 31, the curfew hours will be from 7:00 at night to 5:00 in the morning and free transit until 1:00 in the morning on December 25 and January 1.

Presidential decree 698-20 also establishes measures that regulate the entire national territory, such as the prohibition of the sale of alcoholic beverages from 6:00 in the afternoon.

“We know that it is not easy to ask for new sacrifices, but the pandemic still has a few months to go until the vaccine arrives. The Dominican Government is actively negotiating the delivery dates for the first batches, ”stressed the vice president, highlighting that it will depend on all citizens, and not only the Government, that the measures are effective.

She also indicated that the measures announced by the Health Cabinet and explained through the presidential decree, will enter into force today and will remain in effect as long as necessary.

Other measures that the Health Cabinet, in the voice of Vice President Raquel Peña, announced today are the increase in ICU beds available in the public and private sectors, as well as in tests and contact tracing through of the Regional Health Services and the Provincial Health Directorates.

Regarding the measures that are maintained, she highlighted the limitation of meetings to groups of 10 people or less in public spaces and the tables available in bars and restaurants to 70% of their installed capacity, in addition to the mandatory nature of the use of the mask in public spaces with imposition of a fine to those who violate it.

Finally, Peña made a call not to lower our guard and to maintain physical distancing and washing hands. "To ensure compliance with hygiene measures, we will distribute masks and hand gel free of charge to all citizens," he said.

At the press conference, the vice president was accompanied by the Minister of Public Health and Social Assistance Dr. Plutarco Arias, the general director of the National Health Service Dr. Mario Lama, the executive director of the National Health Insurance Dr. Santiago Hazim, the general director of Promese / Cal Ing. Adolfo Pérez, the medical advisor to the Ministry of Public Health Dr. Eddy Pérez Then, the health advisor to the Executive Branch Dr. Víctor Atallah and the vice ministers of Collective Health and Planning, Dr. Ivelisse Acosta and Dr. Edward Guzmán.

Not surprised Puerto Plata is included in the new curfew hours - it had 90 new cases today and is a problem province.

CristoRey

Welcome To Wonderland
Apr 1, 2014
Fully agree with you. If all people would be just able to "exercising a little common sense", no govt measures would be even needed... Unfortunately, that is not the case...
100% agreed.
Unfortunately words like "common sense", "refund", "excuse me" and "the future"
are in very short supply when it comes to the general population down here
and it gets even worse once you leave the cities.

Gadfly

Jul 7, 2016
Masks are worn everywhere ! but social distancing is lacking and hand washing probably insufficient, people touch their face a lot and each other. Oh well

TropicalPaul

Bronze
Sep 3, 2013
Can I be controversial and say that compared to the nonsense in Europe where the rules change daily, at least in DR you just have a curfew to deal with. And it seems to be working OK numbers aren't spiralling out of control. And somehow businesses are surviving at least in the capital. Shops are busier than ever. Restaurants are rammed at lunchtime. And the hotels are busy. The bulk of tourism is to AI's and these aren't affected by any of these restrictions.

CristoRey

Welcome To Wonderland
Apr 1, 2014
Can I be controversial and say that compared to the nonsense in Europe where the rules change daily, at least in DR you just have a curfew to deal with. And it seems to be working OK numbers aren't spiralling out of control. And somehow businesses are surviving at least in the capital. Shops are busier than ever. Restaurants are rammed at lunchtime. And the hotels are busy. The bulk of tourism is to AI's and these aren't affected by any of these restrictions.
I've been telling friends here since this crap started, it may be bad here
(curfew, restrictions, schools, stupidity, fear mongering) but it's a hell of
a lot worse in many other countries.

Big

Apr 24, 2019
Can I be controversial and say that compared to the nonsense in Europe where the rules change daily, at least in DR you just have a curfew to deal with. And it seems to be working OK numbers aren't spiralling out of control. And somehow businesses are surviving at least in the capital. Shops are busier than ever. Restaurants are rammed at lunchtime. And the hotels are busy. The bulk of tourism is to AI's and these aren't affected by any of these restrictions

I've been telling friends here since this crap started, it may be bad here
(curfew, restrictions, schools, stupidity, fear mongering) but it's a hell of
a lot worse in many other countries.
Agree , its not that bad here. Not that bad at all in Florida either. The North East U.S is seriously uptight and takes sport in fkucing with business owners and their employees.

Reactions: chico bill

TropicalPaul

Bronze
Sep 3, 2013
Hard to understand, curfew 7P with 2 hours free transit to go home?????? On the 24 & 31 curfew at 7pm with free transit at 1:00 am

Check in spanish same confusion........&#@^*?

I think it's much better. Businesses shut at 7pm but you have 2 hours after that to get home. It means if you have a weekend away you have until 9pm to get home, if you work you finish at 7pm and you still have 2 hours to get home. Transport is not going to be so crowded during those 2 hours as it's not a mad rush. They are reducing riskier activities like going out to bars and restaurants but giving those who are returning from work a bit more time.

On the 24th and 31st same thing. Bars and restaurants close at 7pm, but if your family get together (which most will) this can go on until after midnight provided everyone is home by 1am.

Remember no alcohol sales anywhere after 6pm. Does this apply to takeaways and supermarkets?

XTraveller

Aug 21, 2010
I think it's much better. Businesses shut at 7pm but you have 2 hours after that to get home. It means if you have a weekend away you have until 9pm to get home, if you work you finish at 7pm and you still have 2 hours to get home. Transport is not going to be so crowded during those 2 hours as it's not a mad rush. They are reducing riskier activities like going out to bars and restaurants but giving those who are returning from work a bit more time.

On the 24th and 31st same thing. Bars and restaurants close at 7pm, but if your family get together (which most will) this can go on until after midnight provided everyone is home by 1am.

Remember no alcohol sales anywhere after 6pm. Does this apply to takeaways and supermarkets?
Thanks Paul. Does not change much for the provinces allowed curfew at 9Pm. The catch is 6pm no alcohol, most Bar/Restaurant will close at 6PM then again crowded buses/transport.

chico bill

Dogs Better than People
May 6, 2016
100% agreed.
Unfortunately words like "common sense", "refund", "excuse me" and "the future"
are in very short supply when it comes to the general population down here
and it gets even worse once you leave the cities.
And 'guarantee' to that list and 'courteous driving'

Reactions: CristoRey

chico bill

Dogs Better than People
May 6, 2016
Abinader is finding a way to undermine his early political popularity.
I wonder if he realizes that targeting alcohol is going to bring some big powerful families into the mix to fight his orders.
The control of the population by políticos only holds for so long. While I am sure he dines in back rooms, without a mask, on top floors of fancy SD restaurants and drinks the finest liquor till late hours, his poor countrymen must try to live on scraps - how long until worldwide revolts start to happen for such arrogance ?

Reactions: twoinsosua
Status
Not open for further replies.