Coronavirus - In the DR

Status
Not open for further replies.

PICHARDO

One Dominican at a time, please!
May 15, 2003
Santiago de Los 30 Caballeros
You didn't answer my question and how much time round trip does it take a nurse to come to your home and do that? You keep ignoring the fact that it was reported that many people who want a test can't get because they're short of tests. The health minister has asked people not to do tests for that reason unless they have symptoms.

Hmmmm
When you asked me this? Didn’t read that up to now🤔

You want me to provide you a number to call on your location for the service? Is that it?

cavok

Silver
Jun 16, 2014
Cabarete
Hmmmm
When you asked me this? Didn’t read that up to now🤔

You want me to provide you a number to call on your location for the service? Is that it?
No, I don't have any symptoms. I don't want to clog up the system anymore than it is. Let those that need the tests get them.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
I was never a PLD insider or anything close to that. Simply put, my social circle had and still has access to the highest level of government.

Given the PRM is working on a totally refurbished congress, there are many actions that are far from being executed.

The smart guns didn’t fall by the sides. The manufacturer under the pilot went out of business and the other manufacturers lost interest in the same tech venture from client push back.
Good you still have connections. Governments will always have a lot of things they can't get done. Frequently that is a good thing. Like smart guns which I would call a fiasco at best.
To give you some perspective of where I stand on Abinader today, you have to go back to the late 80’s when together with other actors I participated as a founder on the Movimiento de la identidad Dominicana, later evolved into Partido del Pueblo Dominicano, which flag I designed with a radiant Sun with a grey background for party colors.

Meaning “no se puede tapar el Sol con un dedo” as motto.

I would have never guessed you were a flag designer.
The party soon after on preparation to the 1990 elections, came to infighting. A large sector wanted to back the candidacy of Jose Abinader (present day president Luis Abinader’s father)under his own party and party leaders backing Rafael Albuquerque for the same elections.

Needless to say the bulk of members did vote for Abinader in the elections, save for a few hundreds for the party candidate. It was a disaster the party never recovered from.

Namely Dr. Aulio Collado, from the PPD, was a very close friend for many years of the late Abinader. I came across on many meetings around Santiago with the late Abinader. Very well articulated man.

That was about the only time I got deep involved in any political thing in the DR. Or any party for that matter.

The selection of a vaccine has more to do with actual availability and supply, rather than any promises made to the effect.
As I expected. Whatever can be gotten will be gotten when possible.

The contract only guarantees a certain number of them on a specific time span.

The secured deposit only means that, a security deposit. There are terms in case the contract is terminated by either side.

I welcome whichever we can get first, as we’re prepared for either one.
Understood that nothing is certain regarding the vaccines. Only time will tell what ends up being done when you are in a small country of low priority in such matters. An expert in the US said he expects "enough" people there to be vaccinated in the Summer of 2021. I think September of 2021 is being very optimistic myself. Even later for the DR than that. 2021 might be the year enough people are vaccinated in the DR to release controls.

I was discussing how to best proceed with this with family and friends. The need for two vaccinations 3 to 4 weeks apart greatly complicates going back to the US for them as does my wife not being a US resident, etc, etc, etc....

I will just have to wait and weigh our options.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
It is a much better start than any major Country. US or Europe.
Except they may never get any of those vaccines. Nothing is certain in that a PICHARDO explained and I suspected all along.

I expect it will take all of 2021 to get "enough" people vaccinated so the government releases controls. What vaccine or vaccines will actually be used is anybody's guess. A US expert said it will take 70 percent of a population to reach herd immunity for this virus since it is so contagious.

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004

Compare how we are doing to this below:

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com

Compare how we are doing to this below:

I don't trust the statistics from the CDC.

zoomzx11

Gold
Jan 21, 2006
Will the new vaccine handle the newer mutation??

That's the question..........
No reason to think it will not.
Increased catchiness mutation should not impair the vaccines ability to stop you from being infected in the first place .I\
If you do not get it you cannot spread it, theoretically anyway.
I volunteer for new trials testing the idea.
Gimme the vaccine, I will take any brand.

Reactions: Michael DR

twoinsosua

Student of the Arts.
Nov 6, 2020
Canada
Severe allergic reaction are very rare and people who have them are well aware of their sensitivity.
Its not like a surprise, these folks have been living with anaphylaxis all their lives and know to be cautious.
They are able to take the vaccine in a doctor's office that is prepared to treat their possible response to the vaccine.
These allergic reactions are not difficult to treat and there is no science that says they get any less immune response.
I am not one of these folks but its me I get the vaccine.
Rather have an allergic reaction than this disease.
I may not agree with your opinion but it is well thought out and a reasonable conclusion for you.

• Haha
Reactions: Caonabo

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
The Puerto Plata numbers are 20% infected

Don't be confused, that's the province - not the city -
Sos/Cab in the mix ....

I wonder where the problem really is in that province....

Reactions: Michael DR

Challenger007

Nov 2, 2020
Springfield, Illinois
Severe allergic reaction are very rare and people who have them are well aware of their sensitivity.
Its not like a surprise, these folks have been living with anaphylaxis all their lives and know to be cautious.
They are able to take the vaccine in a doctor's office that is prepared to treat their possible response to the vaccine.
These allergic reactions are not difficult to treat and there is no science that says they get any less immune response.
I am not one of these folks but its me I get the vaccine.
Rather have an allergic reaction than this disease.
Well, you just haven’t come across an allergy that develops instantly and requires hospitalization. When the swelling blocks the airways, it's terrible. And this intensity of the reaction may be unexpected, because vaccines have entered the market that have not been used before.

CristoRey

Welcome To Wonderland
Apr 1, 2014
The Puerto Plata numbers are 20% infected

Don't be confused, that's the province - not the city -
Sos/Cab in the mix ....

I wonder where the problem really is in that province....
Was in Sosua from Wed until Sunday of last week.
Asked many people. No one knows anyone who has
it or has had it. Not trying to say no one up there
is sick with it but if they are, their local community
is doing a good job of keeping it under wraps.

CristoRey

Welcome To Wonderland
Apr 1, 2014
I've heard from two very reputable sources here in Santiago
the last 24 hours, if the Health Department sees a major spike
in cases after the holidays they may enforce more draconian
restrictions with another curfew starting at 5pm M-F.

One source is a local business owner who has a close ties
with the PN. The other is a RN at a local hospital downtown.

• Sad
Reactions: cavok

Garyexpat

Bronze
Sep 7, 2012
EVERY day I ask Dominicans "how many people do you PERSONALLY know that have died of Covid, so far about 0.002% say that they know someone and of those few people when I probe further the "tia" "tio" was elderly and/or had diabetes and/or some other pre-existing conditions. I am happy to see that many more Dominicans are waking up to the falsehoods about the deadliness of this virus than many on DR1.

PICHARDO

One Dominican at a time, please!
May 15, 2003
Santiago de Los 30 Caballeros
Again, the reason the dead toll on the DR is much less than in US or EU has more to do with the population age distribution, rather than deadliness of the virus.

We have a younger population, therefore the death rate is much lower, same deadliness based on age structure.

CristoRey

Welcome To Wonderland
Apr 1, 2014
Again, the reason the dead toll on the DR is much less than in US or EU has more to do with the population age distribution, rather than deadliness of the virus.

We have a younger population, therefore the death rate is much lower, same deadliness based on age structure.
All the more reason for them to end these draconian restrictions on businesses
and the children's education.

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
EVERY day I ask Dominicans "how many people do you PERSONALLY know that have died of Covid, so far about 0.002% say that they know someone and of those few people when I probe further the "tia" "tio" was elderly and/or had diabetes and/or some other pre-existing conditions. I am happy to see that many more Dominicans are waking up to the falsehoods about the deadliness of this virus than many on DR1.
I know two here in Jarabacoa, and 4 that died in NYC. Right now my wife's cousin Pedro has it in NY, along with the four other guys he shares a house with. I know probably 20 plus people that have had it and survived without being hospitalized.

Status
Not open for further replies.