Your Favorite Fruit in The D.R.

tempo

Aug 5, 2020
US
Lychee are grown here in Jarabacoa. Guava are also delicious. My wife lives for Mango, definitely her favorite. I love them too but my stomach doesn't.
I asked a woman with a photo of Lychee, who lives in La Vega and she had no clue, let alone knowledge of the fruit....so thanks a lot for this info. Could you also tell me the season/time of the year when it is available?

tempo

Aug 5, 2020
US
Lychee are grown here in Jarabacoa. Guava are also delicious. My wife lives for Mango, definitely her favorite. I love them too but my stomach doesn't.
I L-O-V-E mangoes. When I used to live in Europe, as they do not have restrictions bringing in agri products, I used to bring in suitcase full of mangoes from Asia from my business travel...yum!
Guavas are good yes, but as you got to chew them a lot more, my jaw gets tired but I used to love the way they do it in Mexico, sprinkle them with a bit of salt and red chilli. The ripe guayabas are fragrant but for some reason, I do not care for it, unless it is in a liquefied form....

Reactions: twoinsosua

tempo

Aug 5, 2020
US
I forgot to add, Lemoncillo (not sure about the spelling). Love, love, perfect fruit para picar all day.

View attachment 3908
Limoncillo....I like the flavor but the pulp is way too little and as you said, you have to eat it the whole day....:) By the way, you can get an Italian liqueur called Limoncello....even in the DR, anywhere the Italians are.

Reactions: Africaida

malko

Campesino !! :)
Jan 12, 2013
Limoncillo....I like the flavor but the pulp is way too little and as you said, you have to eat it the whole day....:) By the way, you can get an Italian liqueur called Limoncello....even in the DR, anywhere the Italians are.

The nearby limoncillo tree dried out last year :(

Limoncillo liqueur is made out of the zest of yellow lemons though, sorrento I think----- kind of in short supply here in the DR, limes everywhere instead !!

johne

Silver
Jun 28, 2003
My daughter loves Pineapples, but she swears it gives her an itchy tongue. I have never noticed that but it seems to be common (according to Google though).
Last week the pineapples were small from the fruit lady in the street. I love them so much I was going thru one a day by myself and looking for more. Last year my dentist asked if I ate a lot of citrus, I said yes I eat no less than 3 types a day. He said my gums are getting soft and I should watch it. I said that's just NOT going to be added to my list of no nos. Not going to happen. Enuf already!

JD Jones

Moderator:North Coast,Santo Domingo,SW Coast,Covid
Jan 7, 2016
My niece has the same problem, and how do you get a ripe mango without getting juice on you.
My employees occasionally will cut one in pieces for me and then I eat the pieces with a fork. I really like them but too sweet!

tempo

Aug 5, 2020
US
The nearby limoncillo tree dried out last year :(

Limoncillo liqueur is made out of the zest of yellow lemons though, sorrento I think----- kind of in short supply here in the DR, limes everywhere instead !!
You are right....it is from lemons ( I would not know about Sorrento but it is enirely possible). I know of an Italian restaurant in Cabarete where I drink limoncello regularly and an Italian gentlemen told me about a local place closeby where you can buy the bottle, made locally.

Reactions: malko

tempo

Aug 5, 2020
US
My employees occasionally will cut one in pieces for me and then I eat the pieces with a fork. I really like them but too sweet!
A really "good" mango will have a balanced flavor, not too sweet and not too tart....one does not come across such varieties all the time.
Indeed, mangoes do provoke allergic reactions to some, especially the resin on the peel.

Reactions: twoinsosua

malko

Jan 12, 2013
A really "good" mango will have a balanced flavor, not too sweet and not too tart....one does not come across such varieties all the time.
Indeed, mangoes do provoke allergic reactions to some, especially the resin on the peel.

A good mango is the one you eat sitting on a branch in the tree. ;) ;)

tempo

Aug 5, 2020
US
I would in principle, agree with you. ;)
This July, I had rented a property and the next door house had a mature mango tree with ripe fruits dropping at all hours of the day. They looked great but I could not try one as the house was under lock and key. I asked my landlord and he got on top of a roof where the fruits were falling....I was overjoyed, to be able to eat fruit right off the tree. Unfortunately, the fruit was just about ok....

Just an aside, which campo do you live close to, Campesino?

malko

Jan 12, 2013
I would in principle, agree with you. ;)
This July, I had rented a property and the next door house had a mature mango tree with ripe fruits dropping at all hours of the day. They looked great but I could not try one as the house was under lock and key. I asked my landlord and he got on top of a roof where the fruits were falling....I was overjoyed, to be able to eat fruit right off the tree. Unfortunately, the fruit was just about ok....

Just an aside, which campo do you live close to, Campesino?

People with zinc roofs probably have 9 times more chances to die of a heart attack ! Mangoes falling on those roofs sound like a bomb.

Near Guananico.

jstarebel

Silver
Oct 4, 2013
I love all of the fruit in Santo Domingo.. My favorites include tiny fig bananas, mango lechosa, and my favorite is parcha (passion fruits).. You never realize how good the fruit is here until you're away from home like we are now.. I miss my fruit..

Africaida

Gold
Jun 19, 2009
I have that problem, as did my paternal grandmother. Almost burns. Genetic I guess.
I’m a mango fan in DR. And the little manzana bananas.

A Dominican friend told me to sprinkle the pineapple slice with salt to lessen the itchiness/burn...never tried myself but my daughter says it works.

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
A Dominican friend told me to sprinkle the pineapple slice with salt to lessen the itchiness/burn...never tried myself but my daughter says it works.
OMG my Dominican mother-in-law used to serve fresh pineapple slices sprinkled with salt. I thought she was the only one.

• Love
Reactions: Africaida

irsav

Jan 26, 2019
In Thailand, they do a grilled whole eggplant (they have this small variety), peel off the burnt skin and then chop it up and season it with salt, oil, cilantro and chopped green chili....heavenly! Indeed in the DR, they do a similar thing except that they later cook the grilled eggplant, (with aji and garlic and it tastes good) but which to me is kinda superfluous....the grilling of the eggplant already softens the meat plus its natural aroma....
Finally, the seasoned eggplant slices under oil or slices of eggplant on pizza in Italy....inolvidable!

Having said that and given that this is a fruit forum, let me get back to the king of fruits, mango, even though people in SE Asia will say that Durian is the "King" of fruits. I do wish DR had the lychee though.
Agree. Durian is number One. And I even like the smell. And I eat its stones as well.
I prefer to wait until it drops to the ground. Both in DR and in Florida. And pick up from the ground. It is the super best, super soft, super sweet and super ripe.

tempo

Aug 5, 2020
US
Agree. Durian is number One. And I even like the smell. And I eat its stones as well.

I prefer to wait until it drops to the ground. Both in DR and in Florida. And pick up from the ground. It is the super best, super soft, super sweet and super ripe.
Do you roast the stones to eat the kernel? I am impressed that you spoke so highly of Durian....most have never heard of it bar those that have been to SE Asia. I certainly can handle the smell but if I had a choice, it would be a mango, first! : )

tempo

Aug 5, 2020
US
OMG my Dominican mother-in-law used to serve fresh pineapple slices sprinkled with salt. I thought she was the only one.
Sprinkle a bit of chilli powder too....It would be a fantastic melange of sweet, sour, salty and piquant! Heavenly!

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
Tamarindos!
Limoncillos!
My inlaws had a tamarindo tree in their yard in Santo Domingo. My kids would climb that tree and pick them all, and sit in the yard peeling them and stuffing their faces. My daughter still talks about it 😊