Romantic nicknames in Spanish

Marianopolita

Former Spanish forum Mod 2010-2021
Dec 26, 2003
I learned it on here. I did google it and they translate it as whore.

Okay say let me be the first to tell you it is quite pejorative and even offensive (to some). Depending on who you associate with that word can get you strong reactions by a female. I am not saying it is not commonly used quite the oppposite but you need to know what you are saying and the reactions that it can create. FYI.

NanSanPedro

Nickel with tin plating
Apr 12, 2019
Boca Chica
yeshaiticanprogram.com
Okay say let me be the first to tell you it is quite pejorative and even offensive (to some). Depending on who you associate with that word can get you strong reactions by a female. I am not saying it is not commonly used quite the oppposite but you need to know what you are saying and the reactions that it can create. FYI.
Thanks, I appreciate the help.

Auryn

Apr 22, 2012
Media Naranja is specifically Dominican I believe. Maybe not and it’s used across Spanish regions. More a phrase than a nickname though?

It means your half an orange, your other half, your soul mate. This was introduced and explained to me by my mother in law.

Marianopolita

Dec 26, 2003
Media Naranja is specifically Dominican I believe. Maybe not and it’s used across Spanish regions. More a phrase than a nickname though?

It means your half an orange, your other half, your soul mate. This was introduced and explained to me by my mother in law.

(Mi) Media naranja is not Dominican specific. It is used all over the Spanish-speaking world. Yes, it has the meaning of your soul mate en una relación amorosa. The alternate to this expression is mi media mitad and it used all over the Spanish-speaking world as well.

Reactions: Auryn

JD Jones

Moderator:North Coast,Santo Domingo,SW Coast,Covid
Jan 7, 2016
I have a female friends now who calls me "Mi Vida". For the life of me, I don't know why but I don't really like the sound of it.

Marianopolita

Dec 26, 2003
I have a female friends now who calls me "Mi Vida". For the life of me, I don't know why but I don't really like the sound of it.

Friend? Well, mi vida is a term of endearment normally used in a relationship. Mi vida or vida mía.

The question is does it bother you because that is not the type of relationship you have with her or you just don’t like the way it sounds.... :)

JD Jones

Moderator:North Coast,Santo Domingo,SW Coast,Covid
Jan 7, 2016
Friend? Well, mi vida is a term of endearment normally used in a relationship. Mi vida or vida mía.

The question is does it bother you because that is not the type of relationship you have with her or you just don’t like the way it sounds.... :)

Friends. I have known all of them for many years so maybe it's a term of endearment for them. Maybe they're trying to tell me something. I guess it's better than churrisnaki.

Living alone I guess I should be happy I have friends like them.

Marianopolita

Dec 26, 2003
Friends. I have known all of them for many years so maybe it's a term of endearment for them. Maybe they're trying to tell me something. I guess it's better than churrisnaki.

Living alone I guess I should be happy I have friends like them.

Sounds good to me. They are just being sincere. They appreciate you. As well, what I mentioned in a previous post in this thread the usage of terms are very characteristic of Spanish language and culture. Especially compared to English which in my opinion as a language is not as sentimental. Actually, like cold wind💨.

• Love
Reactions: JD Jones