Boosting Immune System

Status
Not open for further replies.

NanSanPedro

Nickel with tin plating
Apr 12, 2019
Boca Chica
yeshaiticanprogram.com
There was a brief discussion in another thread about your immune system and how to strengthen it. I went online and found the below link from the Cleveland Clinic. Most of the fruits and veggies we get here and we get them fresh. Besides the vitamins and minerals, I personally believe that exercise, preferably outdoors, is also beneficial.

If anyone has anything else to add, please do so.

ClevelandClinicVitaminsMinerals

twoinsosua

Student of the Arts.
Nov 6, 2020
Canada
There was a brief discussion in another thread about your immune system and how to strengthen it. I went online and found the below link from the Cleveland Clinic. Most of the fruits and veggies we get here and we get them fresh. Besides the vitamins and minerals, I personally believe that exercise, preferably outdoors, is also beneficial.

I'm a big advocate of natural boosters.
Vitamin D from the sun is #1 , For northerners taking a natural VitaminD supplement in winter. Salmon twice a week(contains D).
Zinc, Vitamin C, and Iron. All from natural sources.
Most multivitamins are made in labs , chemically. So caution is advised imo.
Fresh Garlic daily, along with plenty of fruits and fresh vegetables plus a workout(not weights) 5 to 6 times a week outta be a great start.

twoinsosua

Student of the Arts.
Nov 6, 2020
Canada
From your article: Part of the reason behind the link may be that taking vitamins or supplements that include more iron or copper than the body needs are harmful for health, Tuomainen said.

Is natural better? It's a great question. In my line of business diet and what you eat is paramount to success.
I can state unequivocally, no amount of vitamins or supplements will make up for a bad diet with a lack of exercise.
Fruits and vegetables, fresh, not frozen, are the body builders of good health. Supplements can add to that, depending on the source.

KITTU

May 13, 2015
For all those who believe in natural ways to boost your immunity, please drink an indian ayurvedic soup called Rasam. A very old indian health food.

Russell

Jun 17, 2017
I have stated previously that consuming Moringa as a supplement adds 92 essential elements to your system. AS well Chaga is a tremendous booster.
Beets are a superfood as are ginger and garlic,
None of this means one will not catch COVID19...it just means you have a better chance of survival.... especially elderly like me.
The Internet is awash with anti inflammatory ,antioxidants information..... read and heed.
The biggest problems with any supplements, most people take them for a month or two then discontinue''because they are not sick'',,,, supplements are not medicines they simply provide the added essential lements that our regular diet does not provide.
And yes, exercise is very important to keep the cardio-vascular system in good shape.

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast

That’s a good article. My mother was way before her time, embracing vitamins and natural foods by the early 1950s.(As a kid I’d get plain yogurt and thought it was ice cream like the other kids had. ). I totally rebelled once I was on my own, not one vitamin for decades. Now, with Covid, we’re taking vitamin C, D3 and Zinc. And Milk Thistle for our livers and CoQ10 for our hearts. Getting old sucks.

CristoRey

Welcome To Wonderland
Apr 1, 2014
Diet and exercising since teenage years.
One men's vitamin a day since early 20's.
Height to weight ratio well within the appropriate range. Proper amount of calorie intake daily. Better chance of being run over by an ambulance chaser than dying of influenza.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
I to have been taking multi vitamins and supplements from high school .. and going to the gym has become a lifestyle......now if they would open the gyms here?....................
Did you read the studies about people who take vitamin supplements dying earlier than people who don't take them?

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
Did you read the studies about people who take vitamin supplements dying earlier than people who don't take them?
My father did several years ago at age 88, longest living male in his family in quite a few generations. Had a heart attack in his early forties, quit smoke, started walking, then running, eating better and taking lots of supplements, especially high doses of vitamin C. His cardiologist said his lifestyle changes and supplements made the difference in his longevity.

NanSanPedro

Nickel with tin plating
Apr 12, 2019
Boca Chica
yeshaiticanprogram.com
My father did several years ago at age 88, longest living male in his family in quite a few generations. Had a heart attack in his early forties, quit smoke, started walking, then running, eating better and taking lots of supplements, especially high doses of vitamin C. His cardiologist said his lifestyle changes and supplements made the difference in his longevity.

Glad for your dad. My parents did not take supplements. Dad lived to be 93 and mom 92. Mom lived almost 15 years with multiple myeloma. But they both ate healthy. Always had fruits and veggies.

However, to me the issue is not the number of years but the quality of life in the latter years. Once both my parents hit 85 or 86, they went downhill relatively rapidly. They were both prone to falling which complicates things to an extreme. I don't want to end up drooling in a wheel chair for my last 3 years.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
We all have our anecdotal stories now, don't we? Here are a couple of mine

My father died the week I was supposed to enter the DR to live. I had to change my flights to attend his funeral He smoked 2 packs of cigarettes a day and went "to the club for some beers" early every day. He was a baker and then a cook (MIke Tyson ate some of his chocolate chip cookies in the prison for youth he was in). My dad never took a vitamin or a supplement but he did start smoking at 13 and never quit. He only made it to 89 years old. My mom died of cancer at 91. We all have our stories don't we?

The studies I speak of are peer reviewed studies that showed people who took supplements did not live as long as those who refrained from taking them.

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com

My father died the week I was supposed to enter the DR to live. I had to change my flights to attend his funeral He smoked 2 packs of cigarettes a day and went "to the club for some beers" early every day. He was a baker and then a cook (MIke Tyson ate some of his chocolate chip cookies in the prison for youth he was in). My dad never took a vitamin or a supplement but he did start smoking at 13 and never quit. He only made it to 89 years old. My mom died of cancer at 91. We all have our stories don't we?

The studies I speak of are peer reviewed studies that showed people who took supplements did not live as long as those who refrained from taking them.
Just eat well, Well easier said than done. A diet of dark green veggies, fresh fruit....etc are what keeps your blood healthy and your veins and arteries cleaner, however if you live in a northern climate this is really expensive in the winter. For the well to do no problem but for the working poor it is hard to afford the eat well foods. Here in the DR we have no excuses except some veggies might not be available. Supplements should not be necessary if you can get it all from food.

Radical

Jan 5, 2021
SOMEWHERE

We all gonna die of something, but its proven that eating healthier, exercising and avoiding alcohol, tobacco and drugs would yield a better quality of life and longer years. That can't be contested.

Status
Not open for further replies.