Senate passes extension of National State of Emergency

Dolores

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 20, 2019
Palacio-Nacional-Hoy-1024x819.jpg

The Senate of the Republic approved on 7 January 2021 the extension of the state of emergency for 45 days. The Chamber of Deputies had already approved the extension. The Presidency has yet to publish the executive act with the details on the extension. The government also has pending to release the instructions for next week. The extended curfew restrictions expire on 11 January 2021.

The extension would go into effect as of 16 January. This is the fourth extension approved by Congress during the Abinader administration that began in August 2020. The Dominican Republic has been under the state of exception since 18 March 2020.

Read more in Spanish:El...

[url=https://dr1.com/wordpress/2021/01/08/senate-passes-extension-of-national-state-of-emergency/]Continue reading...

Last edited by a moderator:

Apr 10, 2012
Las Terrenas
gosh -

This is not really fantastic for tourism. Rather drastic shutting things down on weekends at 12noon.

You would think a curfew would allow exemptions for grocery stores, pharmacies, etc. (or the beach, lol)

Reactions: TropicalPaul

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
gosh -

This is not really fantastic for tourism. Rather drastic shutting things down on weekends at 12noon.

You would think a curfew would allow exemptions for grocery stores, pharmacies, etc. (or the beach, lol)
The focus for the government is on restoring AI tourism. AI tourists, as long as they are on the grounds of the AI resorts, are not shut down like the general public is. Once this is understood, what is happening with this now 11th State of Emergency will be clear.

As for the restrictions after January 10th, nobody knows yet how those will change if at all.

USA DOC

Bronze
Feb 20, 2016
The focus for the government is on restoring AI tourism. AI tourists, as long as they are on the grounds of the AI resorts, are not shut down like the general public is. Once this is understood, what is happening with this now 11th State of Emergency will be clear.

As for the restrictions after January 10th, nobody knows yet how those will change if at all.
.. years ago when I was coming here and staying at AI resorts.. I never stayed at the resort all day or night.. I think those tourists will be back, much later than this government thinks.......

CristoRey

Welcome To Wonderland
Apr 1, 2014
Continue to invite thousands of tourist a month into the country while punishing the general population. This joker will not win a second term should he decide to run again.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
Continue to invite thousands of tourist a month into the country while punishing the general population. This joker will not win a second term should he decide to run again.
I cannot predict the future. It is clear the focus is on getting as much AI tourism as possible. If that means he won't be re-elected only time will tell on that.
.. years ago when I was coming here and staying at AI resorts.. I never stayed at the resort all day or night.. I think those tourists will be back, much later than this government thinks.......
Resort guests can leave the resort during non-curfew times, but have the benefit of fewer restrictions when they are at the resort.
Far fewer people will be travelling because of CV19.
So yes, this will take many months and may be better in 2022 if the vaccines actually help.

Ecoman1949

Born to Ride.
Oct 17, 2015
I cannot predict the future. It is clear the focus is on getting as much AI tourism as possible. If that means he won't be re-elected only time will tell on that.

Resort guests can leave the resort during non-curfew times, but have the benefit of fewer restrictions when they are at the resort.
Far fewer people will be travelling because of CV19.
So yes, this will take many months and may be better in 2022 if the vaccines actually help.

West Jet was forced to lay off another 1K staff today. Declining passenger bookings. I suspect the federal and provincial governments mantra of no international travel is finally starting to be heeded by Canadians. The new testing entry requirements are just another hurdle and the threat of incarceration in a government run isolation facility for two weeks on your return is not appealing to many sun and sand seekers. Factor in slower vaccination rates than promised and it’s a tourist killing perfect storm.

Kudos to the current DR government for their efforts to keep AI tourism alive, but other governments are working against them.

Reactions: TropicalPaul

CristoRey

Welcome To Wonderland
Apr 1, 2014
I am all for the AI tourism.
However they should not
be punishing the rest of the
country in order to facilitate
it.

Reactions: Africaida

TropicalPaul

Bronze
Sep 3, 2013
West Jet was forced to lay off another 1K staff today. Declining passenger bookings. I suspect the federal and provincial governments mantra of no international travel is finally starting to be heeded by Canadians. The new testing entry requirements are just another hurdle and the threat of incarceration in a government run isolation facility for two weeks on your return is not appealing to many sun and sand seekers. Factor in slower vaccination rates than promised and it’s a tourist killing perfect storm.

Kudos to the current DR government for their efforts to keep AI tourism alive, but other governments are working against them.

Also note that this government banned all flights from the UK recently eliminating about 2000 AI arrivals per week.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
I am all for the AI tourism.
However they should not
be punishing the rest of the
country in order to facilitate
it.
The semblance of keeping CV19 under control is apparently part of the plan to get AI tourists back. Hence the SOEs and curfews.

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
gosh -

This only effects a small segment of the tourists. The majority are not affected much by the curfew. I don't doubt that the majority coming to the AIs are doing so because they feel there will be less risk of catching the virus.

A son and his wife went to Mexico at Christmas. They and virtually all the other guests preferred to stay on the property enjoying what was available there. Because of the efforts of the hotel, he said they felt safer on the property than where they live in Massachusetts

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
This won't lose him the next election. During the nearly 4 years until the next election many things will happen and this will have been long forgotten

Politicians know that and rely on it.

The next election will be decided on other issues.

Reactions: JD Jones

CristoRey

Welcome To Wonderland
Apr 1, 2014
The semblance of keeping CV19 under control is apparently part of the plan to get AI tourists back. Hence the SOEs and curfews.
Destroying the local economy in order to bring in
more tourist at a time when they (tourist) could easily
be spreading Covid upon arrival to wherever they
choose to stay.
What could possibly go wrong?

Reactions: DonDimi

nortenomore

Jul 26, 2019
It would be easier if the IMF just announced the house arrests directly to us instead of pretending that governments are making the decisions.

• Haha
Reactions: NanSanPedro