Diario Libre calls for an investigation into the Ministry of Education purchase of 752,000 electronic devices

Dolores

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 20, 2019
Educacion-computadoras-Diario-Libre.jpg

Diario Libre investigative reporters question the emergency tender carried out to purchase 752,000 laptops and computers and peripherals for public schools students and teachers and another 188,000 for small business programs. The purchase would be for RD$10.2 billion. The government had budgeted up to RD$12.06 billion for the tender.

Diario Libre raises a red flag after finding that Madison Import SRL, a company owned by an alternate for a member of the state-owned Banco de Reservas board of directors, is one of the winners. Diario Libre investigations found indirect ties to Maximo Montilla, the brother-in-law of former President Danilo Medina, who is investigated for irregularities in big-time procurement during PLD governments. Montilla’s Laugama Limited sold the company to BanReservas board member Anel Marcial Veras in 2010. Diario Libre says that another Madison...

Continue reading...

Last edited by a moderator:

chico bill

Dogs Better than People
May 6, 2016
And just where do you think the fancy laptops went ?
Sure didn't wind up in students hands.
Reminds me of the song by the WHO: "Won't Get Fooled Again"

Meet the new boss
Same as the old boss

TropicalPaul

Bronze
Sep 3, 2013
I think it's good that DiarioLibre feels able to call this stuff out, publicly. This has to be a step in the right direction and I presume that having called this out, the government has to respond. Let's see what Abinader does regarding this.

Reactions: drstock

XTraveller

Aug 21, 2010
And just where do you think the fancy laptops went ?
Sure didn't wind up in students hands.
Reminds me of the song by the WHO: "Won't Get Fooled Again"

Meet the new boss
Same as the old boss
oops wanted to press like and do not know how cancel post reply.

Now must turn on the WHO "quadrophenia"

• Haha
Reactions: CristoRey

XTraveller

Aug 21, 2010
I think it's good that DiarioLibre feels able to call this stuff out, publicly. This has to be a step in the right direction and I presume that having called this out, the government has to respond. Let's see what Abinader does regarding this.
This is where we will start to see if Abinader is serious about changes. In the previous government I never read or heard Danilo address possible corruption, it was like it never existed.

TropicalPaul

Bronze
Sep 3, 2013
This is where we will start to see if Abinader is serious about changes. In the previous government I never read or heard Danilo address possible corruption, it was like it never existed.

Exactly this. Clearly the old government controlled the media, as a reporter you had to turn a blind eye to corruption and instead focus on the do-gooding stories of politicians building schools and hospitals. Now it seems things have changed and newspapers are free to call out scandals - Nuria scored a big victory by calling out a major scandal and getting the ex-president's sister put in prison. She will have done very well out of that. So others now want to jump on the bandwagon. And it's only through this that corruption will diminish - there will always be a temptation for those in power to put their hands in the till, but the press must be like the security cameras watching them.

Reactions: JD Jones

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
Really, that's all Dominicans talked about, how corrupt Danilo was.....etc.

JD Jones

Moderator:North Coast,Santo Domingo,SW Coast,Covid
Jan 7, 2016
He said more than once he was focused on the future, not the past. If he wasn't involved directly he certainly was naive.

PICHARDO

One Dominican at a time, please!
May 15, 2003
Santiago de Los 30 Caballeros
He said more than once he was focused on the future, not the past. If he wasn't involved directly he certainly was naive.

The future as in change.
The past and present belong to the newly detached PGR. They are doing just great on that!

He’s focusing on change and making sure it can’t be altered by later administrations.
All changes will be secured in the constitution and itself bulletproofed by national referendum only.

I like what I see so far. Gives me greater hope of things moving in the right direction without gimmicks for once.

Reactions: JD Jones

TropicalPaul

Bronze
Sep 3, 2013
Really, that's all Dominicans talked about, how corrupt Danilo was.....etc.

Yes, everyone talked about it in the street, but only Nuria and Alicia Ortega actually published facts and figures and named names. Very brave women. Since the change of government I've noticed a great deal more reporting of corruption and I think everyone is looking for the big scoop to catch Abinader or one of his top people red-handed doing a dodgy deal. I guess a lot of the press were paid off by Danilo and were sympathetic to his party, so at least some are bound to be anti-Abinader.

Reactions: NanSanPedro

CristoRey

Welcome To Wonderland
Apr 1, 2014
Yes, everyone talked about it in the street, but only Nuria and Alicia Ortega actually published facts and figures and named names. Very brave women. Since the change of government I've noticed a great deal more reporting of corruption and I think everyone is looking for the big scoop to catch Abinader or one of his top people red-handed doing a dodgy deal. I guess a lot of the press were paid off by Danilo and were sympathetic to his party, so at least some are bound to be anti-Abinader.
Both Nuria and Alicia Ortega are awesome.

JD Jones

Moderator:North Coast,Santo Domingo,SW Coast,Covid
Jan 7, 2016
The payoffs to artists was the first one. Not his deal but was his administration. It was exposed in record time (a few days) and I'm betting Abinader told the guy who did it to watch his p's and q's from now on.