Negative Covid Test To Required By All Travelers To The US

Status
Not open for further replies.

franco1111

Bronze
May 29, 2013
Gringo
What is a viral test? I think it is not the rapid test with finger prick.

When do I need to get a test to travel to the US? And what kind of test do I need?​

Get tested no more than 3 days before your flight to the US departs. Make sure to be tested with a viral test (NAAT or antigen test) to determine if you are currently infected with COVID-19. Also make sure that you receive your results before your flight departs and have documentation of your results to show the airline.

slowmo

Aug 1, 2016
A false positive would be a real bummer. Maybe Abbott Labs would reimburse your expenses.

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
WOW, did you read what the CDC said about the Dominican Republic?

"Level 4: Very High Level of COVID-19 in the Dominican Republic

"Key Information for Travelers to the Dominican Republic​

• Travelers should avoid all travel to the Dominican Republic.
  • Travel may increase your chance of getting and spreading COVID-19."
With reports like this being circulated by the CDC. travel to the Dominican Republic will really take a hit

franco1111

Bronze
May 29, 2013
Gringo

With reports like this being circulated by the CDC. travel to the Dominican Republic will really take a hit
I wonder how they rate the US? Anyone for Los Angeles? California.

Reactions: drstock

CristoRey

Welcome To Wonderland
Apr 1, 2014

Wow!
That sounds really spooky.

NelleG

Jan 2, 2018
In the short term it's bad news fr the DR but I think eventually you will just need to provide proof of vaccination when that is rolled out
I confess to not having read the entire CDC bulletin. Are they requiring tests from people who have been vaccinated as well?

TropicalPaul

Bronze
Sep 3, 2013
And where can I get one in Punta Cana? With results in two days.

I guess I will try to find this place. I know Amadita in La Romana. Did not know there was one in PC.

I don't think Amadita is doing tests for walk-ins, at least not according to what I've read. You have to fill in a form online and they say that you need to have a letter from a doctor to request a test and it's all done at your home or hotel. If you speak Spanish and send them a whatsapp message, there is an automatic responder which takes you through the process. I had a colleague who has been trying to get a Covid test for his pregnant wife for 3 days without success.

I was told that there are some top-end private clinics offering same-day tests for RD$ 4,000 a time in Santo Domingo. This was from a friend who runs another hotel and had to get tests for some guests done quickly.

scot_tosh

May 21, 2010
What is a viral test? I think it is not the rapid test with finger prick.

When do I need to get a test to travel to the US? And what kind of test do I need?​

Get tested no more than 3 days before your flight to the US departs. Make sure to be tested with a viral test (NAAT or antigen test) to determine if you are currently infected with COVID-19. Also make sure that you receive your results before your flight departs and have documentation of your results to show the airline.

There is a link to the test. It's a swab test in the nose and throat more commonly it's called a PCR test

Reactions: franco1111

franco1111

Bronze
May 29, 2013
Gringo
I don't think Amadita is doing tests for walk-ins, at least not according to what I've read. You have to fill in a form online and they say that you need to have a letter from a doctor to request a test and it's all done at your home or hotel. If you speak Spanish and send them a whatsapp message, there is an automatic responder which takes you through the process. I had a colleague who has been trying to get a Covid test for his pregnant wife for 3 days without success.

I was told that there are some top-end private clinics offering same-day tests for RD$ 4,000 a time in Santo Domingo. This was from a friend who runs another hotel and had to get tests for some guests done quickly.
Thanks. Amadita is just the first one I saw. And I don't know how they would do the appointment. Also, it says Veron which is Punta Cana strictly speaking but a bit out of the way. I will look further. I think a top end private clinic will be the better way to go.

scot_tosh

May 21, 2010
I confess to not having read the entire CDC bulletin. Are they requiring tests from people who have been vaccinated as well?
I'm sorry I don't know, I did not read it entirely either, it is possible, as at the moment it is not known if you can still transmit the virus even when vaccinated, only time will tell that.

scot_tosh

May 21, 2010
Thanks. Amadita is just the first one I saw. And I don't know how they would do the appointment. Also, it says Veron which is Punta Cana strictly speaking but a bit out of the way. I will look further. I think a top end private clinic will be the better way to go.

Check with Mike Fisher on here, I think I remember him saying his family got tested in Cap Cana

NelleG

Jan 2, 2018
I'm sorry I don't know, I did not read it entirely either, it is possible, as at the moment it is not known if you can still transmit the virus even when vaccinated, only time will tell that.
you would have to HAVE the virus to be able to infect others. The point of being vaccinated is to NOT get the virus, and they are saying it’s 95 % effective. Anyhow, not asking about how the virus is spread or efficacy of vaccines. What I would like to know is will they still require testing if a traveler has been vaccinated? Does the bulletin mention this at all? Will vaccine cards be required?

Reactions: Africaida

La Profe_1

Moderator: Daily Headline News, Travel & Tourism
Oct 15, 2003
Centro Médico Punta Cana in Bávaro is part of Grupo Rescue which is one of the locations specifically mentioned as having testing capability and being acceptable as providers of PCR test results.

Reactions: Tonchi

Africaida

Gold
Jun 19, 2009
you would have to HAVE the virus to be able to infect others. The point of being vaccinated is to NOT get the virus, and they are saying it’s 95 % effective. Anyhow, not asking about how the virus is spread or efficacy of vaccines. What I would like to know is will they still require testing if a traveler has been vaccinated? Does the bulletin mention this at all? Will vaccine cards be required?

I thought the point of being vaccinated is to be able to beat the virus with your own immune system if you happen to get it.

You do raise a very good point though, how about the people who were vaccinated ? It would not make sense to require a negative test for these people. Yet, if the vaccine only allows someone to be asymptomatic (or with very mild symptoms), in theory, they would still be able to infect others ? Uhmmm :unsure:

I hope I am wrong, I am no doctor obviously, because it really sounds like this sh*t will not end anytime soon.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
I think things will not really get back to normal/ish untill the vaccines are rolled out, then all you need is proof of vaccination and not expensive and inconvenient testing either end of the trip. I think that helps solve the problem finally. I hope.....
Consider this. Vaccination will take time. A lot of time. More time than any government has yet admitted to it taking. So much time that people who were vaccinated might no longer be protected and lose their immunity by the time enough people are vaccinated in the world (about 70% of everyone) and then those people vaccinated earlier need to be vaccinated again. An endless loop. And the governments never lose control.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
I thought the point of being vaccinated is to be able to beat the virus with your own immune system if you happen to get it.

You do raise a very good point though, how about the people who were vaccinated ? It would not make sense to require a negative test for these people. Yet, if the vaccine only allows someone to be asymptomatic (or with very mild symptoms), in theory, they would still be able to infect others ? Uhmmm :unsure:

I hope I am wrong, I am no doctor obviously, because it really sounds like this sh*t will not end anytime soon.
"They" don't yet know if being vaccinated prevents someone from being a carrier of the disease and therefore capable of infecting others. Yet another unknown in the list of how long does immunity last after having the disease, various vaccinations, etc.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
The test that makes sense for governments to ask for is the one that takes longer.

Like the RT-PCR test that Grupo Rescue (Bournigal is one location) quotes a 72 hour turnaround time.
Yes, there will be the exceptions where people can actually get them faster than that and make their flights.
Grupo Rescue might up their game and "rescue" the situation, but are you going to bet on that?
I bet there will be a lot of people from the US that won't make their flights.

PCMike

Aug 30, 2008

I guess I will try to find this place. I know Amadita in La Romana. Did not know there was one in PC.

You can get tested at Centro Medico Punta Cana, Refrencia, or Punta Cana Doctors. My test results were ready in 36 hours from Refrencia. I have done it 2 times now. Instead of the swab PCR test, they use your saliva. Quick and easy.

Status
Not open for further replies.