Airports to be shut down for 15 days from 10th Jan ??

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cdn_Gringo

Gold
Apr 29, 2014
It was a screen shot of someone's phone showing someone else's FB post. Admittedly not the most reliable source. Unfortunately I do not remember where I saw it, only that I saw it this morning. If I accidentally stumble across it again, I'll link it.
A post here on DR1 by Windeguy.

chico bill

Dogs Better than People
May 6, 2016
"but all hotels are full..."

Can I have some of whatever you are on????
I doubt any hotels are full in any location. I have not been to Punta Cana of late but I can tell you North Coast hotels are virtual ghost towns except on Dominican Holiday weekends.
I would not want to be a hotel trying to attract customers when there are early curfews and nearby restaurants bars and other attractions are closed.
It seems wasteful to take a vacation when all you can do is hang around the hotel bar and hotel restaurant, and frankly boring

TropicalPaul

Bronze
Sep 3, 2013
I doubt any hotels are full in any location. I have not been to Punta Cana of late but I can tell you North Coast hotels are virtual ghost towns except on Dominican Holiday weekends.
I would not want to be a hotel trying to attract customers when there are early curfews and nearby restaurants bars and other attractions are closed.
It seems wasteful to take a vacation when all you can do is hang around the hotel bar and hotel restaurant, and frankly boring

The reality is that hotels are doing well mainly because if it's a special occasion it's the only thing you can do - go to a hotel, have a meal, have a few drinks, spend the night. The hotels in the capital are all running at 50% or more occupation, OK it's not great, but way more than you would expect given the restrictions.

TropicalPaul

Bronze
Sep 3, 2013
British Airways have now cancelled all flights until mid February. TUI has also cancelled everything, so no direct links between the UK and Dom Rep until further notice.

nomiiiii

Dec 30, 2020
Seattle
So when this thread started I booked refundable flights out on Saturday 9th Jan (we have scheduled flights on 10th that we prefer to take).

Is this rumor off now, can we cancel our backup flights?

TropicalPaul

Bronze
Sep 3, 2013
So when this thread started I booked refundable flights out on Saturday 9th Jan (we have scheduled flights on 10th that we prefer to take).

Is this rumor off now, can we cancel our backup flights?

So far no news, but this government has a habit of springing decisions out. For example, they banned all flights from the UK with just a few hours notice. My advice would be to leave your refundable flights until the last minute to cancel, but check the terms very very carefully to make sure you cancel within the deadline. I would also guess that if they were going to make a big change on Monday they would have announced it by Friday given that the government departments don't really work at the weekends. So if I was to bet, I'd guess your flights on Monday would be OK.

Reactions: CristoRey

Caonabo

LIFE IS GOOD
Sep 27, 2017

According to you.
There are MANY others who would be perfectly happy with leaving/getting away sub-freezing temperatures, snow, Covid madness within their own country, general stresses of life (whether they be professional or personal) to relax and enjoy a few days of warm temperatures, sunshine, and dining poolside. Poolside bars usually do very well for themselves, and their clients.
Using your direction of thought, it is a wonder how Santo Domingo (or any other warm climate city) has ever been able to operate for decades/generations what with no proper beach to the city sector itself. There are many fine hotels where a person checks in, and does not have to leave until they decide to check out...all while enjoying the splendid comforts of the hotel itself.

Reactions: Gadfly

nomiiiii

Dec 30, 2020
Seattle
It's January 10th, I'm at punta Cana airport and it is full.

OP, can you please tell your reputable sources that they are to blame for causing me anxiety about being stuck on the last few days of my otherwise wonderful DR vacation.

• Love
Reactions: Caonabo

TropicalPaul

Bronze
Sep 3, 2013
It's January 10th, I'm at punta Cana airport and it is full.

OP, can you please tell your reputable sources that they are to blame for causing me anxiety about being stuck on the last few days of my otherwise wonderful DR vacation.
I do apologise but I always stressed that it was a rumor. I am reasonably sure that there have indeed been conversations in government about closing the borders and it's due to these that the rumors started. So far no decision to do this has been taken. The government keeps saying that the tourist sector has been hardest hit and they want to do everything to support it but then last week the president made it clear that tougher restrictions would be coming if the numbers don't come down.

Reactions: NanSanPedro

TropicalPaul

Bronze
Sep 3, 2013
According to you.
There are MANY others who would be perfectly happy with leaving/getting away sub-freezing temperatures, snow, Covid madness within their own country, general stresses of life (whether they be professional or personal) to relax and enjoy a few days of warm temperatures, sunshine, and dining poolside. Poolside bars usually do very well for themselves, and their clients.
Using your direction of thought, it is a wonder how Santo Domingo (or any other warm climate city) has ever been able to operate for decades/generations what with no proper beach to the city sector itself. There are many fine hotels where a person checks in, and does not have to leave until they decide to check out...all while enjoying the splendid comforts of the hotel itself.
Santo Domingo is slightly bigger than Chicago and almost as big as LA. There will always be a demand for hotel rooms in a city that size anywhere

Reactions: Caonabo

wuarhat

I am a out of touch hippie.
Nov 13, 2006
I just called Spirit. They said there are no testing requirements to enter the Dominican Republic. Can this be corroborated here?

Caonabo

LIFE IS GOOD
Sep 27, 2017
Today is Wednesday, 13 January 2021.
RD airports are open for business. ✈️

Africaida

Gold
Jun 19, 2009
My sis and BIL coming in today to PC. I will let the forum know if their plane is turned around in mid-air.

Don't know if they are from the US and how long they are staying, but they may have to get a test to be able to fly back.
Someone did post where to get tested in the PC area just in case.

NanSanPedro

Nickel with tin plating
Apr 12, 2019
Boca Chica
yeshaiticanprogram.com
Don't know if they are from the US and how long they are staying, but they may have to get a test to be able to fly back.
Someone did post where to get tested in the PC area just in case.
They are coming from US and are leaving Sunday. My BIL owns his own business so all of their vacations are < 5 days, and that includes the weekend. They just got a great deal on this trip they couldn't pass up. I assume they will be using Frontier Airlines. It's low cost but you have to bring your own seat.

Caonabo

LIFE IS GOOD
Sep 27, 2017
They are coming from US and are leaving Sunday. My BIL owns his own business so all of their vacations are < 5 days, and that includes the weekend. They just got a great deal on this trip they couldn't pass up. I assume they will be using Frontier Airlines. It's low cost but you have to bring your own seat.

Own seat, or own parachute?

• Haha
Reactions: Africaida
Status
Not open for further replies.