Cell phone activations to require Photo and Fingerprint after Jan 11th

bienamor

Kansas redneck an proud of it
Apr 23, 2004
So I buy an unlocked phone from ebay for example, now I just insert my sim card from the old one an am good to go. Do I now have to go to Altice and register that phone prior to it being able to work? Crock of crap

JD Jones

Moderator:North Coast,Santo Domingo,SW Coast,Covid
Jan 7, 2016
So I buy an unlocked phone from ebay for example, now I just insert my sim card from the old one an am good to go. Do I now have to go to Altice and register that phone prior to it being able to work? Crock of crap
Everything I'm reading says when you buy a new cel phone. As long as you got your new Altice sim card they've been bugging everyone about you should be good to go.

Reactions: bienamor

PICHARDO

One Dominican at a time, please!
May 15, 2003
Santiago de Los 30 Caballeros
To activate cell phones the presence of the owner will be required

THESE MEASURES ARE TAKEN WITH THE PURPOSE OF GUARANTEEING THE SAFETY OF THE USERS.

The Dominican Institute of Telecommunications (Indotel) reported this Thursday what will be the new process to request the activation of a mobile phone line, in compliance with resolution number 070-19 that approves the standard that regulates the contracting and activation of services public telecommunications.

The first step will be to go in person to an office of the service provider or authorized dealer.

Once there, they will request your Cédula (identity card), passport or residence card, whose data will be validated with the Central Electoral Board (JCE) system or another online validation system previously approved by Indotel. Legal persons will be required to have the National Taxpayer Registry (RNC).

Then a photograph will be taken of you along with the identification document presented.

The service provider must register the IMEI, which is the international identity number of the mobile device, and associate it with the SIM card.

Finally, they will sign the contract, whose signature will be compared with that of the identity document provided.

These measures are taken with the aim of guaranteeing the safety of users, explained Indotel through its Twitter account.

PICHARDO

One Dominican at a time, please!
May 15, 2003
Santiago de Los 30 Caballeros
For those that didn’t know of it already, when you have a Cedula, they have your fingerprints on record. They took those when they issued the Cedula to you.
So a streamlined process!

Roaming for foreign activated cell phones a d which companies have reciprocal contracts to that end, will be able to continue as is.

Any attempts to buy a pack of minutes from local carriers for those foreign activated roaming cells, will automatically call for the process above detailed.

My guess is that short term vacationers rentals, will continue to operate with a foreign ID on record.

malko

Campesino !! :)
Jan 12, 2013
4 days after the 11th and my SIM card still works.

SIM card aquired through fulano the motoconcho some time ago, in his name of course.

Reactions: PICHARDO

Sailor51

Happy to still be here
Oct 30, 2018
Gee, everyone is thinking 'stolen phone'.
I'm thinking 'burner phones'. You know, the ones that you can buy for a few peso's, txt your supplier or buyer and then toss it in the ocean.
Cops hate those things. Drug dealers love 'em.

Reactions: JD Jones

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
These measures are solely for law enforcement.
End of “No fui yo” when it comes to macos...
Don’t fret, just let it happens as it does.

Will make our (law abiding citizens) lives much more easier and stress free.
Of course it won't be abused and used "for other things".

Please trust the government. They always have your best interest at heart.

Caonabo

LIFE IS GOOD
Sep 27, 2017
Gee, everyone is thinking 'stolen phone'.
I'm thinking 'burner phones'. You know, the ones that you can buy for a few peso's, txt your supplier or buyer and then toss it in the ocean.
Cops hate those things. Drug dealers love 'em.

I am not really sure, but could it have something to do with the corruption of, and proliferation of such devices within the RD prison system, which is currently under supposed reform and modernization by the new governmental administration?
Just kickin' it around the pitch.

Caonabo

LIFE IS GOOD
Sep 27, 2017
Yes, the DR prison cell phones are a curious thing. The new regs could impact that situation.

Perhaps, but there seems to be legal work arounds concerning many things.
A poster above described a method of eliminating these code numbers.
Technical wizard I admit I am not.

CristoRey

Welcome To Wonderland
Apr 1, 2014
They will now verify the IMEI number of the phone and verify in the government data base that it has not been reported stolen before they activate a cell service plan.
So the government is going to keep a data base of stolen phones?
Cool.
The government came out a few years ago and said this would no longer be an option
as they wanted to cut down on criminals using burner phone numbers but go figure,
if I buy a sim card from the guy on the street corner selling them for 60 pesos, pop it into whatever phone
I happen to be caring that day, I am confident that chip is going to activate just as they have been activating
for years regardless of where I got the phone from.

Caonabo

LIFE IS GOOD
Sep 27, 2017
Cool.
The government came out a few years ago and said this would no longer be an option
as they wanted to cut down on criminals using burner phone numbers but go figure,
if I buy a sim card from the guy on the street corner selling them for 60 pesos, pop it into whatever phone
I happen to be caring that day, I am confident that chip is going to activate just as they have been activating

Oh no.
The government is going to keep a new data base of every new phone number/account opened....by everybody.
Keep in mind as well, when transferring an existing account/number to a new cellphone, sometimes a new chip is in order. New phone. New chip. Give us your identification. Take a photo. By the way, have you had your Covid vaccination?
Yes, Big Brother has been here for a while, and is very real.
Quite sad indeed.
It may be time to go back to using carrier pigeons.

• Sad
Reactions: Michael DR

CristoRey

Welcome To Wonderland
Apr 1, 2014
Oh no.
The government is going to keep a new data base of every new phone number/account opened....by everybody.
Keep in mind as well, when transferring an existing account/number to a new cellphone, sometimes a new chip is in order. New phone. New chip. Give us your identification. Take a photo. By the way, have you had your Covid vaccination?
Yes, Big Brother has been here for a while, and is very real.
Quite sad indeed.
It may be time to go back to using carrier pigeons.
When it comes to tech, if it can be written, it can be rewritten.
Smart people always figure it out. It has been and will continue to be
a cat and mouse game long after we're gone.

Reactions: Caonabo

Sailor51

Happy to still be here
Oct 30, 2018
I am not really sure, but could it have something to do with the corruption of, and proliferation of such devices within the RD prison system, which is currently under supposed reform and modernization by the new governmental administration?
Just kickin' it around the pitch.
Good point that. Same thing happens often enough here [prisons] but nothing similar to the DR with tracking.
Then again, due to the mask mandate, everyone's walking around like a bandit anyway so ...

Sailor51

Happy to still be here
Oct 30, 2018
Okay, now you jus
Cool.
Okay, so you turned your phone into somebody else's. What's the password?

Sailor51

Happy to still be here
Oct 30, 2018
Or now that it's on, it's been pinged and they're now looking for you.

Feb 7, 2007
So they will take your picture holding your ID.

Look at the picture below to see how much it will be worth on the black market.

Attachments

• IMG-20210116-WA0097.jpg
    IMG-20210116-WA0097.jpg
    100.5 KB · Views: 172
Feb 7, 2007
For those that didn’t know of it already, when you have a Cedula, they have your fingerprints on record. They took those when they issued the Cedula to you.
So a streamlined process!

Roaming for foreign activated cell phones a d which companies have reciprocal contracts to that end, will be able to continue as is.

Any attempts to buy a pack of minutes from local carriers for those foreign activated roaming cells, will automatically call for the process above detailed.

My guess is that short term vacationers rentals, will continue to operate with a foreign ID on record.

This is absolute nonsense PICHARDO, it's supposedly to prevent stolen phones being used, but any self-respectable "taller" can wipe IMEI (ILLEGAL) but anyone worth his salt as cellphone repairman can do that. Once the stolen phone has a wiped and new IMEI it's like a new phone.

Reactions: CristoRey