Is Santo Domingo becoming a cement jungle? UNPHU architects say city needs more green

Dolores

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 20, 2019
Edificio-en-SD-Hoy-1024x734.jpg

A study sponsored by the Pedro Henríquez Ureña National University (UNPHU) alerts that the replacing of patios in family homes with high rises contributes to the rise in temperature in the capital city, as reported in Hoy. The architectural research reveals an increase in city temperatures by at least 1.5 degrees Celsius due to the destruction of trees and green areas that are affecting the quality of life of city dwellers.

Researchers Gilkauris Rojas Cortorreal (UNPHU), Constantinos Saliaris, Julio Peña and Solhanlle Bonilla (Intec) conclude the city of Santo Domingo needs more green spaces. The UNPHU has published the research paper: “Determination of the Potential of Green Infrastructure as a Tool for Adaptation to Climate Change in the National District.”

Recently the city government authorized the construction of more high rises in the city center. The architects and...

Continue reading...

Last edited by a moderator:

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
Santo Domingo actually has a relatively high percentage dedicated to trees/green areas. They are very concentrated compared to other cities, because they are mostly in giant parks like the Mirador's and the botanical garden, and possibly the zoo counts too. Add to that some very shaded areas such as the Iberoamerica Park and certain residential estates scattered throughout the city.

Having said that, the city should be more like Gascue in tree cover. That has to be where tree cover is the greatest outside parks such as Mirador del Norte to name one. Everyone can thank Joaquín Balaguer for that since he put attention to his sister Emma when creating vast green areas around the city. She was into nature and preserving it. The creation of some parks is something out of a movie. For example, land was already set aside by military generals and other powerful people at the now Parque Mirador del Sur. The government under Balaguer became very strong with them and forcibly ousted them for creating the park.

Last edited:
Reactions: Caonabo

scot_tosh

May 21, 2010
Santo Domingo actually has a relatively high percentage dedicated to trees/green areas. They are very concentrated compared to other cities, because they are mostly in giant parks like the Mirador's and the botanical garden, and possibly the zoo counts too. Add to that some very shaded areas such as the Iberoamerica Park and certain residential estates scattered throughout the city.

Having said that, the city should be more like Gascue in tree cover. That has to be where tree cover is the greatest outside parks such as Mirador del Norte to name one. Everyone can thank Joaquín Balaguer for that since he put attention to his sister Emma when creating vast green areas around the city. She was into nature and preserving it. The creation of some parks is something out of a movie. For example, land was already set aside by military generals and other powerful people at the now Parque Mirador del Sur. The government under Balaguer became very strong with them and forcibly ousted them for creating the park.

He was also responsible for setting up the national parks

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
Trujillo created the first two parks (the two back-to-back in the Central Mountains) and Balaguer created most of the rest. Today the DR has upwards or a quarter or more of its territory under a national park or scientific reserve, one of the highest of any country in the Western Hemisphere. That too is influence of Emma on her brother Joaquín.

Reactions: Caonabo

Radical

Jan 5, 2021
SOMEWHERE
The article is specific on its content, it says the city of Santo Domingo and not the country of the Dominican Republic.

With that being said, its entirely a fact that the city is succumbing to concrete and constructions, and green areas are highly in need of. That can not be debated.

Caonabo

LIFE IS GOOD
Sep 27, 2017

Many fruit bearing trees were planted along southern tier communities during the administration of Salvador Jorge Blanco.
They still exist to this very day, and elders will not be shy to tell you who was responsible for them.
At least one notable, positive takeaway from his four years in office, even if those currently eating the fruit have no idea who the man was.

Reactions: CristoRey

TropicalPaul

Bronze
Sep 3, 2013
I lived in Bella Vista for a little while in one of those towers which is about 3 feet away from the next tower. And the difference in temperature, compared to living right next to the sea on the Malecon, was huge. Hot days were unbearable and no thought of being able to open the windows and turn off the AC. It always surprises me how people huddle into areas like Bella Vista and Piantini and the Malecon is almost completely empty.

Yourmaninvegas

Feb 16, 2016
-
If I want to see a (compound expletive deleted) tree I will goto the campo.
Give me more concrete if it involves improving the traffic in Santo Domingo ‼️

Yourmaninvegas

Feb 16, 2016
-
I lived in Bella Vista for a little while in one of those towers which is about 3 feet away from the next tower. And the difference in temperature, compared to living right next to the sea on the Malecon, was huge. Hot days were unbearable and no thought of being able to open the windows and turn off the AC. It always surprises me how people huddle into areas like Bella Vista and Piantini and the Malecon is almost completely empty.
Having lived on Avenida España for three years I have to agree with you that living next to the sea provides some temperature advantages. I never had AC there. Although living by the sea is hard on your stuff. It is the salt air. You might as well be living on a boat.

Although it does not surprise me how people huddle into area like Bella Vista and Piantini. Can we say "perception" ❓Traffic is horrible in those areas also.

Reactions: CristoRey

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
Many fruit bearing trees were planted along southern tier communities during the administration of Salvador Jorge Blanco.
They still exist to this very day, and elders will not be shy to tell you who was responsible for them.
At least one notable, positive takeaway from his four years in office, even if those currently eating the fruit have no idea who the man was.
Many areas of the Parque Mirador del Sur had plenty of trees added when José Francisco Peña Gómez (though his parents were Haitians and his real name was Oggi Pie) was mayor of Santo Domingo. His administration is the reason why certain parts of the park is now more like a forest than a park. His legacy is in the trees! lol

Last edited:

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
One of the problems of living right next to the sea is the salty air coming off the sea does wonders in wrecking havoc on many furniture and electronic equipments. The life of many equipments may be shorter in the DR than say in the USA, but they are even shorter right next to the sea by Dominican standards. The further away, the better on that front.

chicagoan14

Apr 2, 2019
It's done already. There is little city planning here. There are stores I've seen signs for in neighborhoods and just wondered how the traffic would be. I am fortunate to live in front of a government building so I don't have to worry about a tower being built and blocking my view. I go and visit friends who are paying 2-3x more and their view out of each building is another building, but they get to say they live in Naco & Piantini. I guess.