New Grocery Store in Sabaneta

Aug 21, 2007
After several trips to the new Supermercado in Sabaneta, I decided I must post here. If you have not been there yet and you live in Cabarete, drive the 15 minutes and try it out. It is beautiful, light, and clean. The aisles are wide. The selection is good. There are some imported items, such as frozen imported steaks. Dick's provides fresh bread, but there is also a bakery. The men at the meat counter will cut the meat for you as you like it. You can see the beef and pork hanging in the refrigerated room. It is clean. No bad smell. There is an extensive alcohol and wine section. The fruits and vegetable are always fresh, unlike the stores in Sosua and Cabarete. Someone is always in that section, sorting through items and taking out the fruit or vegetables that do not appear fresh and good.

And, what a surprise for the DR. The customer service is fantastic! The owner greats me at the door or inside the store every time I go. He doesn't know me from Adam. He always says, happy to see you. The workers are always helpful, asking if I can find what I need. There are sufficient cashiers and no lines. And there is ample parking.

I cannot say about the prices, although I think they are lower. If you go, let me know. However, like in the US or Canada, there are many signs on items saying that the item is on sale and it shows the new price.

For me in Jamao, this store is much more convenient. No traffic and closer. I want them to succeed. I have no personal interest in this business. I just would like to see a business owner who appears to know how to run a business succeed.

Go try it, and let me know what you think.

whirleybird

Silver
Feb 27, 2006
After several trips to the new Supermercado in Sabaneta, I decided I must post here. If you have not been there yet and you live in Cabarete, drive the 15 minutes and try it out. It is beautiful, light, and clean. The aisles are wide. The selection is good. There are some imported items, such as frozen imported steaks. Dick's provides fresh bread, but there is also a bakery. The men at the meat counter will cut the meat for you as you like it. You can see the beef and pork hanging in the refrigerated room. It is clean. No bad smell. There is an extensive alcohol and wine section. The fruits and vegetable are always fresh, unlike the stores in Sosua and Cabarete. Someone is always in that section, sorting through items and taking out the fruit or vegetables that do not appear fresh and good.

And, what a surprise for the DR. The customer service is fantastic! The owner greats me at the door or inside the store every time I go. He doesn't know me from Adam. He always says, happy to see you. The workers are always helpful, asking if I can find what I need. There are sufficient cashiers and no lines. And there is ample parking.

I cannot say about the prices, although I think they are lower. If you go, let me know. However, like in the US or Canada, there are many signs on items saying that the item is on sale and it shows the new price.

For me in Jamao, this store is much more convenient. No traffic and closer. I want them to succeed. I have no personal interest in this business. I just would like to see a business owner who appears to know how to run a business succeed.

Did my first shop at El Marinero supermarket a couple of weeks ago and agree, Lindsey, that it was a pleasurable experience. Everything spacious, staff accommodating especially my little Dominican friend, Arabella, who used to work at supermercado Rodriguez. First time I have been able to buy fresh white cauliflower for ages! There were a few things I didn't find on this occasion as it was my first visit so not familiar with the aisles yet but am sure I will be soon as definitely will be going back there soon. I hope they are very successful.

drstock

Silver
Oct 29, 2010
Cabarete
Yes, I went there a couple of weeks ago and was impressed. It's certainly a supermarket rather than a grocery store. No complaints from me, but I doubt I'll go there often since living in Cabarete, Janet's is always more convenient for me, even if it's busier.

Abuela

Bronze
May 13, 2006
Thanks to Lindsey, we went to Supermercado Marinero in Veragua today and were amazed at the inventory.For every Rd$3k they give you a 10lb bag of rice. We saved quite a bit on the standard items we usually buy. I was impressed by the selection of imported wines, pastas, vinegar & olive oils. The fruit & veg selection was as well done as Jumbo with lower prices.The employees were all friendly & helpful. The cashier knew how to use the multiplication key so multiples of the same item only had to be scanned once...a miracle!

zoey_kat

Feb 2, 2007
I've been several times to Supermercado Marinero and love it! Having such a nice grocery store so close, means a loss less trips to Cabarete and Sosua. The parking, selection, quality and people are great. I hope more people will frequent the store so they will be successful.

JD Jones

Moderator:North Coast,Santo Domingo,SW Coast,Covid
Jan 7, 2016
No dog in this fight, but ask them to start carrying something they don't have and see if it shows up on the shelves. Then I'll REALLY be impressed. LOL

Reactions: LindseyKaufman

Yolatengo

Apr 15, 2020
I was there a couple of weeks ago and was also very impressed. I was able to find a majority of the items I shop for in Cabarete or Sosua and about a third were cheaper than the prices I'm accustomed to. I also noticed the sale price items and a few of those were considerably cheaper. However, I still need to shop Janet's for a number of items and with the Covid restrictions reducing the number of times I need to go to Sabaneta, the new supermarket has not become a habit...yet... I'm also interested to see if requested items begin to appear on the shelves.

Reactions: drstock

Northern Coast Diver

Private Scuba Guide
Feb 23, 2020
Sosua
I stopped in to check out the store on Thursday. I found the prices a bit lower than in Sosua. The vegetables were looking quite nice, I picked up a beautiful head of green cabbage. They also had a good selection of cheese. Unfortunately, the fresh meats in the butcher counter looked like they had been sitting there for days. All of the meat dried out and discolored on the surface. I had gone mostly to see the meat's quality. A bit of a disappointment!

Aug 21, 2007
I stopped in to check out the store on Thursday. I found the prices a bit lower than in Sosua. The vegetables were looking quite nice, I picked up a beautiful head of green cabbage. They also had a good selection of cheese. Unfortunately, the fresh meats in the butcher counter looked like they had been sitting there for days. All of the meat dried out and discolored on the surface. I had gone mostly to see the meat's quality. A bit of a disappointment!
Ask them to cut you a piece special. They have meat hanging and will do so. I saw chicken wings that looked a little dried out and asked them to select mine from the bottom of the pile. Those were fine. Yesterday they were grinding the beef as I waited. Don't hesitate to ask for what you want if you do not like what you see.

cavok

Silver
Jun 16, 2014
Cabarete
I went there on Thursday The store is modern, clean, and has wide isles. The fruit and vegetables are displayed very nicely. On average, I'd say the prices were about the same as in Janet's.. Some thing were cheaper - some cost more. I was hoping to find some new things, but didn't see anything there I can't get in Janet's.

A minor complaint is the cashier/checkout area. All of them were the size of a "10 items or less" lane. The space where you can out your groceries is only about 3 feet wide and does not have a moving belt.

Aug 21, 2007
Let me know what you are looking for that you cannot find. I am giving a list to the owner.

Janet's doesn't have moving belts either at their checkout counters. Good thing is, though, there is never waiting in Sabaneta!

drstock

Silver
Oct 29, 2010
Cabarete
Let me know what you are looking for that you cannot find. I am giving a list to the owner.

Janet's doesn't have moving belts either at their checkout counters. Good thing is, though, there is never waiting in Sabaneta!
Not worth arguing about, but just to set the record straight, Janet's does have moving belts on some, not all checkouts. The cashiers often don't bother to use them for some reason.

Reactions: cavok

cavok

Silver
Jun 16, 2014
Cabarete

Thanks for the offer, but most of the things I want I haven't seen anywhere here on the North Coast, in fact, I haven't seen them in supermarkets in Santiago or Santo Domingo either. Very common items in the US though.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
I visited the store Wednesday..... it's a beautiful layout and setup.... very well done.

I still prefer the meat counter at Playero - perhaps just my comfort level
Playero does cater to the expat crowd.....
Marinero's may get to that if they see a market for it.
The easy way for that to happen is to ask ---- as LK suggests.

We have new market in Cabrera too.... Rebecca's... she to is very customer friendly and has started stocking
more varied products..... it takes time

Nice to see the new places coming on stream !!

Isn't the store properly in Veragua (?) rather than Sabaneta

cavok

Silver
Jun 16, 2014
Cabarete
It is actually in Veragua, but most people(except those that live there)would never know when they're leaving one and entering the other. I think many prople have never even heard of Veragua.

Reactions: windeguy