Warning PCR test will be required to enter Canada with in 3 days of arrival

Status
Not open for further replies.

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
And exactly why are their being censored?

For expressing their political opinions about their own politicians? How is expressing your political views online detrimental to this forum? Whoever disagrees can just agree to disagree and move on.
This is a Dominican site. Foreign politics have absolutely no place here. Plenty of other sites and boards for that.

Ecoman1949

Born to Ride.
Oct 17, 2015

Blue Cross suspends sales of medical insurance for Mexico and Caribbean travel​

Bill. It’s interesting to note that the only restriction not yet implemented for Canadians returning from the DR and other countries is the mandatory three day stay in one of the government designated Covid concentration camps. Apparently Trudeau is getting pushback from some of his cabinet and regular members who are questioning the necessity of this move. I think February 21st. is now the target date for it’s implementation. Wouldn’t surprise me to see this requirement diluted or eliminated. The government is feeling the media sting of the connotation Covid concentration camps.

Reactions: slowmo and Russell

Mariahboater

SHIPWRECKED
Aug 7, 2020
Ontario
Bill. It’s interesting to note that the only restriction not yet implemented for Canadians returning from the DR and other countries is the mandatory three day stay in one of the government designated Covid concentration camps. Apparently Trudeau is getting pushback from some of his cabinet and regular members who are questioning the necessity of this move. I think February 21st. is now the target date for it’s implementation. Wouldn’t surprise me to see this requirement diluted or eliminated. The government is feeling the media sting of the connotation Covid concentration camps.
?? COVID hotels are working already!

Ecoman1949

Born to Ride.
Oct 17, 2015
If you get into the Transport Canada website this morning, the current restriction information states testing requirements are in place but the requirement to isolate in a Covid hotel will be implemented soon. There was also a news item a few days ago about the requirement starting mid February. Maybe the government is testing the waters before they make it mandatory?

I think the Canadian DR expats and and many Canadian DR tourists are willing to put up with the inconvenience of getting the proper tests prior to returning to Canada and further testing on arrival in Canada. It’s the $2000 Covid hotel extra cost that sticks in their craw. Quick Covid testing (one hour results) is readily available in Canada. There is no need to wait three days.

Russell

Jun 17, 2017
I understand your comment. Being a Canadian it is best to stay put as much as possible.
However not all Canadians under this Government Edict are vacationers.
I for one am stranded here due to health concerns. I was wanting to return to Canada in February for special medical procedures due to past Military Injuries.
Understand this, I do not look for sympathy for my situation. I fully understand the Edict and its intent.
Please refrain from putting all ''the eggs in the same basket''.
WE are individuals and make individual decisions which we must live with for whatever time it takes to unravel this Pandemic Situational fabric .
Not everyone is a Snowbird!

MGD

Jan 3, 2021
Toronto
This guy is an ignorant idiot and this is what happens when you show up at the boarder without the proper PCR test.
Whose fault is that? His and the airline that let him on the plane.

Edmonton woman cautions international travellers after receiving incorrect COVID-19 test​

“He said, ‘Do you need this test or that test?’ I didn’t know there was more than one at that time,” Mathis said.

An Edmonton woman’s return trip to Alberta went awry when she realized she got the wrong COVID-19 test.
Nikki Mathis travelled to Dallas, Texas on Monday on a business trip. On her return flight, she flew to Calgary and planned to drive to Edmonton to quarantine.
She tells Global News she got a COVID-19 test at a U.S. health clinic, where the doctor offered her two test options.
Mathis boarded her flight from Dallas to Calgary without issue, but when she landed in Alberta it was determined by Public Health Agency of Canada and Canada Border Services Agency that she had received an antigen test, not the required molecular COVID-19 test.
“I was told, ‘We’re going to have to take you to a location to isolate in Calgary,'” Mathis said.
“I have to wait for that result to come in and then it will be determined if my quarantine plan is solid enough to let me return home.”

Russell

Jun 17, 2017
If you get into the Transport Canada website this morning, the current restriction information states testing requirements are in place but the requirement to isolate in a Covid hotel will be implemented soon. There was also a news item a few days ago about the requirement starting mid February. Maybe the government is testing the waters before they make it mandatory?

I think the Canadian DR expats and and many Canadian DR tourists are willing to put up with the inconvenience of getting the proper tests prior to returning to Canada and further testing on arrival in Canada. It’s the $2000 Covid hotel extra cost that sticks in their craw. Quick Covid testing (one hour results) is readily available in Canada. There is no need to wait three days.
$2000.oo can get you 4 more months in DR if you can handle the imposition !!! lol
So if it is up to me I would rather spend that 2K$ for an extended stay here than for a COVID19 hotel where one is a prisoner of policy.

MGD

Jan 3, 2021
Toronto
$2000.oo can get you 4 more months in DR if you can handle the imposition !!! lol
So if it is up to me I would rather spend that 2K$ for an extended stay here than for a COVID19 hotel where one is a prisoner of policy.
$500 per month in the DR sounds like a nightmare to me.

Ecoman1949

Born to Ride.
Oct 17, 2015

Exactly Russ. The $2000 dollar extra cost is $500 extra for a four month stay in the DR. I’m retired and have the time and financial resources to cover those costs. I suspect most retired Canadian DR expats are in the same situation as me. Two of my Canadian friends in the DR since the first week of January. one in Costambar and one in Playa Dorada have decided to stay and incur the extra costs and return to Canada in May. One is from Ontario and the other is from Quebec. They think they are probably safer in the DR and they are probably right.

Ecoman1949

Born to Ride.
Oct 17, 2015
$500 per month in the DR sounds like a nightmare to me.

For many Canadians up to their posterior in snow and dealing with a massive Arctic low and -30 degree temperatures, I think they would willing to spend even more than that for some time in the DR.

I find your criticism of the lady and gentleman who arrived in Canada with the wrong Covid test a bit harsh. You don’t know the full details. Not everybody is totally conversant with what tests are required and often rely on medical labs to provide them with what they think is the right test. Add to this the confusion about the testing requirements when they were first implemented and it’s no surprise to me, some people would arrive back in Canada without the right test. More to the point, Canadian airports have enough resources to give them the correct test if they arrive with the wrong one. I don’t fault the airlines they travelled on because airlines have had a difficult time interpreting the testing guidelines. They vary by country and are a moving target in some countries.

Reactions: Russell
Status
Not open for further replies.