Warning PCR test will be required to enter Canada with in 3 days of arrival

Status
Not open for further replies.

slowmo

Aug 1, 2016
The new process has been delayed.....

Don’t hold your breath for the announcement that it will be implemented - again
My guess is there will be an announcement but it will still be a complicated watered down version. They have confused themselves and everyone else with a plan to rescue snowbirds who don't want to be rescued, with various rules depending how the snowbirds play the game.

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
The news releases by Transport Canada on the new restrictions were filled with weasel words, especially the section referring to the implementation of the Covid concentration camps. Trudeau got pushback from his own cabinet and house members on the concentration camp issue. He is now getting pushback from legal rights groups and Canadian citizens on the concentration camps. The news releases were purposely worded to allow the government to delay implementation
( which they have done) and weasel out of a bad situation by implementing less stricter requirements. The isolation requirements prior to the latest restrictions were adequate to cope with returning Canadian international travellers. The Covid concentration camp threat was pure fear mongering on the part of the Federal government and they overstepped their Constitutional boundaries. I spent 38 years working with the Federal government. I wouldn’t trust them to organize a four man rush on a three hole outhouse. Tourism will continue to flow in and out of the DR. Part of that flow will be Canadian tourists. You can’t keep a good country down!
Or as We you to say in the Military. Could organized a gangbang in a whorehouse.

aname4me

Jun 18, 2011
My interpretation....

I believe that the Canadian Government perceived a problem (after Quebec yelled at them) with Canadians at (returning from) All Inclusive Resorts.... so they shut down all the flights to the Caribbean and Mexico.

Florida, Arizona, California..... No A.I. Resorts. No cancelled flights (yet).

Retirees renting/owning in Caribbean and Mexico... are just collateral damage.

The $2,000 Hotel stay is (at the moment) just a threat.
The warning has been issued. The $2,000 Hotel stay can now be implemented, at the drop of a hat.

March Break is coming. I expect more threats to discourage Families from going to Florida.

A Wild Card in this, is the British Variant of CoViD19.
If it takes hold... expect more/tougher rules.

Reactions: DR fan1990

Ecoman1949

Born to Ride.
Oct 17, 2015
My interpretation....

I believe that the Canadian Government perceived a problem (after Quebec yelled at them) with Canadians at (returning from) All Inclusive Resorts.... so they shut down all the flights to the Caribbean and Mexico.

Florida, Arizona, California..... No A.I. Resorts. No cancelled flights (yet).

Retirees renting/owning in Caribbean and Mexico... are just collateral damage.

The $2,000 Hotel stay is (at the moment) just a threat.
The warning has been issued. The $2,000 Hotel stay can now be implemented, at the drop of a hat.

March Break is coming. I expect more threats to discourage Families from going to Florida.

A Wild Card in this, is the British Variant of CoViD19.
If it takes hold... expect more/tougher rules.
Agree with most of your post.

All variants are now in Canada and we may have some of our own. The provinces hit hardest by the pandemic have the potential to be hit hardest by the variants.

Still can fathom why the government didn’t ask airlines to include the Canada-Florida and Arizona routes in their voluntary shutdown. One might opine they left some leeway for Canadian DR and Mexico snowbirds and tourists to allow them to travel in limited numbers through the US.

The Covid concentration camp threat is currently scheduled to end April 30th when flights are supposed to resume to the DR and Mexico. The longer the Feds delay the camp initiative, the less impact it will have as the end of April approaches. It may turn out to be more of an implied threat than a real threat. It’s on very weak constitutional footing and the government knows this.

Infection and hospitalization numbers are finally dropping in the provinces impacted the most due to lockdowns and curfews. Covid serum deliveries are back to normal next week and injections will
Increase accordingly. All good news for a government stuck between a rock and a hard spot with provincial demands. If it continues, it may give them the wiggle room to not implement the Covid concentration camp requirement for non infected travellers.

Lobo Tropical

Silver
Aug 21, 2010
Agree with most of your post.

All variants are now in Canada and we may have some of our own. The provinces hit hardest by the pandemic have the potential to be hit hardest by the variants.

Still can fathom why the government didn’t ask airlines to include the Canada-Florida and Arizona routes in their voluntary shutdown. One might opine they left some leeway for Canadian DR and Mexico snowbirds and tourists to allow them to travel in limited numbers through the US.

The Covid concentration camp threat is currently scheduled to end April 30th when flights are supposed to resume to the DR and Mexico. The longer the Feds delay the camp initiative, the less impact it will have as the end of April approaches. It may turn out to be more of an implied threat than a real threat. It’s on very weak constitutional footing and the government knows this.

Infection and hospitalization numbers are finally dropping in the provinces impacted the most due to lockdowns and curfews. Covid serum deliveries are back to normal next week and injections will
Increase accordingly. All good news for a government stuck between a rock and a hard spot with provincial demands. If it continues, it may give them the wiggle room to not implement the Covid concentration camp requirement for non infected travellers.

I would think that 10's of thousands Spring break travellers was the major concern with associated covid spread.

The $2000 hotel threat was ludicrous.
At least Canadian citizens/ residents should have the option to be tested on arrival and continue travel to their home to quarantine.
Even after arrival at home, testing could continue to avoid a 14 day quarantine.
Many available tools are not being used by airlines and governments.
Surely many people are willing to pay for their own testing, in order to facilitate necessary travel.

Of course spread of mutants by international travel will continue to be of serious concern for years to come.
Yet we have to adapt and lean to live with the condition, commerce and the world can't be locked down for years.
Governments, economies and individuals are struggling with the "right" solutions and answers.

aname4me

Jun 18, 2011
On Monday, the federal government outlined some of the application requirements for privately owned hotels looking to be part of the three-night stay program.
The hotels must be within 10 kilometres of one of the four international airports currently accepting flights from abroad in Vancouver, Calgary, Toronto and Montreal.
Read more at.....

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
I think it has been proven that the disease mutates by itself... a natural mutation
As the annual flu mutates yearly..... a characteristic of a virus

Importation isn't the primary way of global transmission

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
Reactions: NanSanPedro

MGD

Jan 3, 2021
Toronto
On Monday, the federal government outlined some of the application requirements for privately owned hotels looking to be part of the three-night stay program.
The hotels must be within 10 kilometres of one of the four international airports currently accepting flights from abroad in Vancouver, Calgary, Toronto and Montreal.
Read more at.....
They are really laying it on thick for a bluff that has already been called, delayed and cancelled.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
I think it has been proven that the disease mutates by itself... a natural mutation
As the annual flu mutates yearly..... a characteristic of a virus

Importation isn't the primary way of global transmission
Viruses mutate via natural selection. Mutations can make the virus more or less deadly, more or less infectious, and change other characteristics.

Travel is what spreads the mutations ( so "importation" of the South African mutation can indeed be a factor).

aname4me

Jun 18, 2011
Sound familiar ?

UK and Irish residents -- who've been in one of the government’s 33 "red list" countries in the last 10 days -- will need to quarantine in a designated hotel.
They will only be able to arrive into a small number of ports and will have to book a quarantine package -- at a cost of £1,750 (approximately US $2,411) for the hotel, transport and testing – before departing for the UK.

aname4me

Jun 18, 2011
I get the idea that Air Canada thinks the $2,000 Hotel stay is coming.

The airline is also shutting down service on 17 more routes starting next week including:

Toronto to Fort Myers, Florida.
Toronto to Boston.
Toronto to Washington, D.C. (Reagan)
Toronto to Denver
Toronto to New York City (Laguardia)
Montreal to Boston.
Montreal to LaGuardia.
Vancouver to Seattle.
Toronto to Bogotá, Colombia.
Toronto to Dubai.
Toronto to São Paulo, Brazil.
Toronto to Hong Kong.
Toronto to Tel Aviv, Israel.
Montreal to Bogotá, Colombia.
Vancouver to London, UK.
Vancouver to Tokyo (Narita).
Toronto to Dublin, Ireland.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
Viruses mutate via natural selection. Mutations can make the virus more or less deadly, more or less infectious, and change other characteristics.

Travel is what spreads the mutations ( so "importation" of the South African mutation can indeed be a factor).
Not sure Windy,
Mutations have been found in remote areas, in people who have not traveled or been exposed to travelers

Yes, travel can spread it but travel is not necessary

lifeisgreat

Enjoying Life
May 7, 2016

Ithat is why they are going strict..won’t be enough IMHO...They are saying here in Canada third wave by end of March with variant leading way..

• Wow
Reactions: cavok

MGD

Jan 3, 2021
Toronto

DR fan1990

Sep 22, 2020
Canada
More on the UK situation ..... makes Canada look like kindergarten

Yup, the UK is going high speed and full throttle towards the New World Order and what it will mean to travel in the near future.

And once a precedent is created you can expect other countries to follow suit.

DR fan1990

Sep 22, 2020
Canada
And rest assured that even after the pandemic is over, some of these travel restrictions will stay in place permanently.

Your days of good old normal traveling are over.

Status
Not open for further replies.