Warning PCR test will be required to enter Canada with in 3 days of arrival

Status
Not open for further replies.

DR fan1990

Sep 22, 2020
Canada

..."More details regarding the mandatory hotel quarantine are expected to be unveiled later Friday during a technical briefing."...
Well as i see it, the best solution to this madness is to just LEAVE Canada and not come back.

slowmo

Aug 1, 2016

..."More details regarding the mandatory hotel quarantine are expected to be unveiled later Friday during a technical briefing."...
Nice to see that they lowered the price to "upwards of $2000" this time.. The other interesting thing in the article is he mentioned 3 separate times that the plan wasn't intended to punish people. I need to hear it more often than that to be a true believer.

NanSanPedro

Nickel with tin plating
Apr 12, 2019
Boca Chica
yeshaiticanprogram.com
Nice to see that they lowered the price to "upwards of $2000" this time.. The other interesting thing in the article is he mentioned 3 separate times that the plan wasn't intended to punish people. I need to hear it more often than that to be a true believer.

Some people will be stupid enough to believe it. That, you can't fix. I hope the new government, whomever and whenever, fixes this for the Canadians.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
Well as i see it, the best solution to this madness is to just LEAVE Canada and not come back.
I am stamped June 30, 1995..... file an 'Exit Return' with Rev Canada..... and bye bye
Easy , easy..............

Totally legal, you can return whenever you wish......again, legally

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com

Mariahboater

SHIPWRECKED
Aug 7, 2020
Ontario
People who travel for essential reasons or those returning after long term employment or living outside of Canada should get tested but should be permitted to self quarantine as per their submitted quarantine plan without having to stay at a hotel first. After all these people will still need a negative test to get on the plane and anyone who is positive can be scooped up from their home as soon as the positive result is known. I get the message don't go on vacation but I don't understand why Canada wants to make it so hard and costly for Canadians who want to repatriate. One size approach does not fit all. Especially those travelling with pets or excess personal belongings. I wonder if the cost is per room or per person? If you can only leave the room for 15 minutes a day, it had better be a multi-room suite. I can't imagine two people sequestered in the same standard one room hotel space for up to three days lying on the bed watching TV to pass all that time. Even if someone here wanted to get to Canada before Feb 22, too bad, no Canadian flights.
There are flights just not direct through States. People had plenty of notice , the choice is their own responsibility,$hit or get off the pot comes to mind!

Reactions: johne

MGD

Jan 3, 2021
Toronto
They are desperately trying to create a narrative to show that they have succeeded in making the government change course.

On January 29 when these measures were announced, Trudeau said it would take weeks to implement.
He repeated this on Feb 2 and then a few days later JC claims that they have succeeded in causing a delay, which makes no sense.
The government has yet to announce a start date.

As for the public response, it is not major backlash, it is the opposite, major support.
Again a ludicrous claim.
If anything, the public response has encouraged the government to proceed.

The government expected some to oppose these measures so the threat of litigation was totally expected.
To claim that this was a shock and caused the government to change course is again ridiculous.

If these measures are not in place by March, then it would be reasonable to suggest that there has been a delay, not that it has anything to do with JC.
What does the Justice Centre have to say now?

Mandatory 3 day hotel quarantine cancelled in Canada due to threat of litigation and violations under Canadian Charter of Rights and Freedoms.

MGD

Read the article ---- delayed, litigation pending

Feb 4 has come & gone

Federal government delays plan to forcibly confine travellers after public backlash and threat of litigation​

Feb 5th, 2021
The Justice Centre is pleased that the Trudeau government is delaying its plan to charge returning travellers $2,000 for forced hotel quarantine, in response to public backlash and the threat of litigation.

Trudeau got pushback from his own cabinet and house members on the concentration camp issue. He is now getting pushback from legal rights groups and Canadian citizens on the concentration camps. The news releases were purposely worded to allow the government to delay implementation
( which they have done) and weasel out of a bad situation by implementing less stricter requirements. The isolation requirements prior to the latest restrictions were adequate to cope with returning Canadian international travellers. The Covid concentration camp threat was pure fear mongering on the part of the Federal government and they overstepped their Constitutional boundaries.

The $2000 hotel threat was ludicrous.

The new process has been delayed.....

Don’t hold your breath for the announcement that it will be implemented - again

tempo

Aug 5, 2020
US
WAS NOT ALL DISCUSSION OUTSIDE OF THE DR, NOT ONLY NOT ALLOWED BUT SEVERELY FROWNED UPON, to use an euphemism?? This thread is all about Canada bashing. The Administrator has gone AWOL???

MGD

Jan 3, 2021
Toronto
WAS NOT ALL DISCUSSION OUTSIDE OF THE DR, NOT ONLY NOT ALLOWED BUT SEVERELY FROWNED UPON, to use an euphemism?? This thread is all about Canada bashing. The Administrator has gone AWOL???
Canada is highly relevant to the Dominican Republic, particularly travel to and from.

melphis

Living my Dream
Apr 18, 2013
A law firm in Calgary is taking the Canadian federal gov to court claiming that Trudeau's mandatory quarantine is unconstitutional. I hope they win. Based on facts the DR and the entire Caribbean is safer than Canada and has been through the whole pandemic.

People that live here are generally safer re-entering Canada than anybody entering from the US. Unfortunately government's can not or will not use common sense in their decision making. It easier to paint everybody with the same brush, rather than do the right thing.

My wife and I will stay here till at least mid May and make a decision then.

melphis

Living my Dream
Apr 18, 2013
I disagree. I see very little "Canada bashing" here. Some people are more emotional and vocal on this subject as it affects them greatly. The Canadian government is punishing their citizens for doing absolutely nothing wrong. There was no travel restrictions in place prior to Jan 29, 2021.

There was an advisory not to travel but no restrictions. Basically there are still very few actual restrictions if any. They made it difficult to get here directly but not impossible.

MGD

Jan 3, 2021
Toronto
Trudeau says they will now vigorously go after the quarantine violators.
Perhaps if they had done so all along, these extreme measures would not be necessary.
Instead they followed up on a very low percentage and issued over 40,000 warnings, totally sending the wrong message.

tempo

Aug 5, 2020
US
I disagree. I see very little "Canada bashing" here.

Call it Trudeau bashing then but whether you disagree or not, is moot. This forum is supposedly all about the DR and the Admin is either not doing the professed job or at best does a slip shod work of being a gatekeeper....

MGD

Jan 3, 2021
Toronto
A law firm in Calgary is taking the Canadian federal gov to court claiming that Trudeau's mandatory quarantine is unconstitutional. I hope they win. Based on facts the DR and the entire Caribbean is safer than Canada and has been through the whole pandemic.
There is a legitimate argument to be made but I think the absence of a travel ban will give the government the pandemic fighting leeway they need to win.

In any case, this measure will be over long before any litigation is settled, but it could affect the future.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
In September my wife flew Canada - DR.... the only route was thru the USA

Toronto/Chicago/Newark....
overnite in EWR
EWR - POP next morning

Not easy or fun, but can be done

melphis

Living my Dream
Apr 18, 2013
Call it Trudeau bashing then but whether you disagree or not, is moot. This forum is supposedly all about the DR and the Admin is either not doing the professed job or at best does a slip shod work of being a gatekeeper....
Read the title of this thread.
Then read it again so there is a degree of comprehension.
Do you get it now?

Nobody is bashing anyone. People with an actual vested interest can become emotional on specific issues.

If you really hate it perhaps you should start your own forum and censor whatever you want.

DR fan1990

Sep 22, 2020
Canada
Trudeau says they will now vigorously go after the quarantine violators.
Perhaps if they had done so all along, these extreme measures would not be necessary.
Instead they followed up on a very low percentage and issued over 40,000 warnings, totally sending the wrong message.
Only 2% of cases come from abroad. Most cases occur in private homes and nursing homes in Canada.

These restrictions are nonsense.

La Profe_1

Moderator: Daily Headline News, Travel & Tourism
Oct 15, 2003
I'm not the mod for this forum, but may I point out that the thread is "Covid in the DR" and as such, encompasses not only Dominicans and expats but also other visitors. Many of those visitors and snowbirds are Canadian and thus are affected by Canadian travel rules, restrictions and requirements.

Cutting off the flow of travel from Canada, as these new rules seem to do, will have a deleterious effect upon the DR and those who work in tourism.

That makes this DR-related!

MGD

Jan 3, 2021
Toronto
Only 2% of cases come from abroad. Most cases occur in private homes and nursing homes in Canada.

These restrictions are nonsense.
The incubation period for Covid-19 is up to 14 days so the source for most cases are not definitively known.

Status
Not open for further replies.