Looser curfew coming (heard a rumor)

Status
Not open for further replies.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
and they get away with it? thats blow to DR. If I was the new president, I would arrest all previous administration officials and put them in jail for life without parole. I will recoup all the money where they laundered and also sell all the properties they own. Hell with them. Then with that billions, they can pay 2x more for the FASE. Just sayin .....
There are so many corruption cases in DR courts now people might die before they cases get heard.

I exaggerate slightly, but there are many ongoing cases right now against corrupt PLD officials who were in charge for 16 years.

But little to do with the curfew and it if will "loosen" or not.

josh2203

Bronze
Dec 5, 2013
$7500 Pesos? That's not enough. They should had done $20,000 or so. That will be more than enough. When we had unemployment way back in the summer, I get $600/weekly and lasted me 55 weeks. Thats 50X more than the $7500RD.

That explains DR system is broken.

One thing I think you may be forgetting: the DR is a 3rd world country, the US or Europe are not. I would lose my mind if I compared anything that is going on here vs going on back home... It simply does not work like that...

Yes, I can fully imagine that if you get benefits in the US or in EU, those do not compare to anything they give to people here...

To COVID numbers: not sure to which rates were you referring above as you did not detail, but please note that even in Europe they have put curfews in some form in place, for example in France, Germany and Spain. Even in Scandinavia. I won't waste time discussing the numbers, but my opinion is that the numbers for both, positive cases and deceased are pretty high in the US... And again, when things started going severely downhill (numbers rising due to cold weather) in the EU, many countries introduced limitations if we go about 2 months back...

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
For those of you that support curfews I would really like to hear your thoughts on Colombia who had a 24/7 lock down from March - Sept. You could go out once a week based on the last number of your cedula, and yet they had a big spike in cases in July. I'm sure some will try to explain this away as people not adhering to the curfew but that would only prove your lack of knowledge regarding the police in Colombia compared to the D.R.
I left the D.R> because of the curfew and have been in Colombia for the last month+ on the coast and the curfew is midnight which has only effected me twice because of watching boxing and UFC in my favorite spot. My Colombian friends tell me that the Gov realized what they did, not only to businesses but to the population and that I don't need to worry about a return to those draconian measures. They have initiated some partial curfews in Medellin which were a bit harsher and over Carnival weekend in Barranquilla which has the largest Carnival in Colombia.
Even if this improved schedule goes into effect it is still too early for my likes, I'll be staying put here.
I hope for you guys that live there it is more than rumor.
I have a friend retired in Santiago, Chile, essentially the same type of very severe stay at home lockdown. People eventually rebell at lockdowns.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
Since there is almost no testing in the DR, nobody knows the actual CV19 infection rates. Nobody.

Any estimates on that are nonsense. Dead bodies? They can count those and some might even be from CV19.

josh2203

Bronze
Dec 5, 2013
Since there is almost no testing in the DR, nobody knows the actual CV19 infection rates. Nobody.

Any estimates on that are nonsense. Dead bodies? They can count those and some might even be from CV19.

What I do like about recent reporting, as I think this was not he case when all this started, is that they usually do report also the number of tests done... I have no idea if any of these numbers are correct though...

In the past they just reported happy that we have just so few cases today, but nobody said that there were also practically no tests done yesterday... Recently. at least Diario Libre mostly reports this... Yes, the numbers are still ridiculously low...

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
MiamiDRGuy said:
$7500 Pesos? That's not enough. They should had done $20,000 or so. That will be more than enough. When we had unemployment way back in the summer, I get $600/weekly and lasted me 55 weeks. Thats 50X more than the $7500RD.

That explains DR system is broken.
It is what it is in the DR regarding salary and government assistance. Broken, perhaps. Giving people the median salary> Unlikely to happen.
  • Median Salary​

The median salary is 20,700 DOP per month, which means that half (50%) of the population are earning less than 20,700 DOP while the other half are earning more than 20,700 DOP. The median represents the middle salary value. Generally speaking, you would want to be on the right side of the graph with the group earning more than the median salary.
  • Percentiles​

Closely related to the median are two values: the 25th and the 75th percentiles. Reading from the salary distribution diagram, 25% of the population are earning less than 11,600 DOP while 75% of them are earning more than 11,600 DOP. Also from the diagram, 75% of the population are earning less than 56,900 DOP while 25% are earning more than 56,900 DOP.

Now back to guesses on curfews.

Reactions: cavok

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
What I do like about recent reporting, as I think this was not he case when all this started, is that they usually do report also the number of tests done... I have no idea if any of these numbers are correct though...

In the past they just reported happy that we have just so few cases today, but nobody said that there were also practically no tests done yesterday... Recently. at least Diario Libre mostly reports this... Yes, the numbers are still ridiculously low...
With virtually no tests being done it is obvious the true numbers of infections can never be estimated even approximately.

Reactions: Garyexpat

josh2203

Bronze
Dec 5, 2013
With virtually no tests being done it is obvious the true numbers of infections can never be estimated even approximately.

Correct, but my point was only that at least the reporters are trying to put some perspective there, even though that would not be even close to the truth due to invalid source of information...

CristoRey

Welcome To Wonderland
Apr 1, 2014
I'll check with my sources who have given me 100% correct info about this crap since March of last year, when I get back to Santiago tomorrow.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
Correct, but my point was only that at least the reporters are trying to put some perspective there, even though that would not be even close to the truth due to invalid source of information...
My point is that it is pointless to point out results that have no point in pointing out reality.

Kricke87

Feb 16, 2021
Sosúa
It is what it is in the DR regarding salary and government assistance. Broken, perhaps. Giving people the median salary> Unlikely to happen.
  • Median Salary​

The median salary is 20,700 DOP per month, which means that half (50%) of the population are earning less than 20,700 DOP while the other half are earning more than 20,700 DOP. The median represents the middle salary value. Generally speaking, you would want to be on the right side of the graph with the group earning more than the median salary.
  • Percentiles​

Closely related to the median are two values: the 25th and the 75th percentiles. Reading from the salary distribution diagram, 25% of the population are earning less than 11,600 DOP while 75% of them are earning more than 11,600 DOP. Also from the diagram, 75% of the population are earning less than 56,900 DOP while 25% are earning more than 56,900 DOP.

Now back to guesses on curfews.
Someone might want to fact check the "Median Salary" and teach the writer of the article the meaning of "Median".

Just to take an example
In a company, you have 5 salary levels: $3/hour, $5/hour, $7/hour, $9/hour $11/hour.
In this case, the "Median salary" is $7/hour
In the company you have 20 workers, 12 of them get paid $3/hour, 3 get paid $5/hour, 2 get paid $7/hour, 2 get paid $9/hour and 1 get paid $11/hour.
The statement that 50% of the workers get paid $7 or more and 50% gets paid less, is not true. As 5 of 20 (25%) gets paid $7 or more per hour and 15 (75%) gets paid less than $7.

Personally, the vast majority of the people that I know who are employed don't get paid any 20k per month. So I would rather guess that 75% or even more people earn less than 20k per month. So that makes you understand that be given 7500 per month to not work isn't actually that "bad" when those who get that assistance under "normal" conditions would only earn slightly more.
But of course during all this time I've always wondered how anybody here can survive with only about 10-15k per month.... But that's something else.

Kricke87

Feb 16, 2021
Sosúa
My point is that it is pointless to point out results that have no point in pointing out reality.
True, but at the same time NOWHERE in the world can you get nowhere near an accurate result. Just as the majority of the scientist has explained that the majority would have few or not even any symptoms. So even if you've had COVID you might not even be aware of it. As the only numbers they report are those who actually get tested.
I could have had COVID without even realizing it, would that then get into the statistics? No.

So basically the numbers are very inaccurate, and although I can understand the reason why we had them at the beginning of this pandemic, now it's kind of pointless.

TropicalPaul

Bronze
Sep 3, 2013
I'll check with my sources who have given me 100% correct info about this crap since March of last year, when I get back to Santiago tomorrow.
Please do. I know for a fact that my source met with thw president last week and discussed easing the curfew but I was given to believe that this is what they intend to do but subject to the numbers looking ok.

Reactions: CristoRey

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
Someone might want to fact check the "Median Salary" and teach the writer of the article the meaning of "Median".

Just to take an example
In a company, you have 5 salary levels: $3/hour, $5/hour, $7/hour, $9/hour $11/hour.
In this case, the "Median salary" is $7/hour
In the company you have 20 workers, 12 of them get paid $3/hour, 3 get paid $5/hour, 2 get paid $7/hour, 2 get paid $9/hour and 1 get paid $11/hour.
The statement that 50% of the workers get paid $7 or more and 50% gets paid less, is not true. As 5 of 20 (25%) gets paid $7 or more per hour and 15 (75%) gets paid less than $7.

Personally, the vast majority of the people that I know who are employed don't get paid any 20k per month. So I would rather guess that 75% or even more people earn less than 20k per month. So that makes you understand that be given 7500 per month to not work isn't actually that "bad" when those who get that assistance under "normal" conditions would only earn slightly more.
But of course during all this time I've always wondered how anybody here can survive with only about 10-15k per month.... But that's something else.
Not true it is not as simple as you say: You have to know how many people actually receive each salary, then you can compute the median salary which will have an equal number of people above and below that level. The median salary is not as you described it, you need to know the actual data on how many people receive each salary level to compute the median.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
True, but at the same time NOWHERE in the world can you get nowhere near an accurate result. Just as the majority of the scientist has explained that the majority would have few or not even any symptoms. So even if you've had COVID you might not even be aware of it. As the only numbers they report are those who actually get tested.
I could have had COVID without even realizing it, would that then get into the statistics? No.

So basically the numbers are very inaccurate, and although I can understand the reason why we had them at the beginning of this pandemic, now it's kind of pointless.
At least we agree that such statistics are pointless. Now we can move on to things that might make a difference. Like in how long curfews will be in force and for what hours... One stat that will be used to open things up is "herd immunity" stats. My home country thinks end of 2021 for that unless vaccination is dramatically sped up. Vaccines are in short supply..

Reactions: CristoRey

drstock

Silver
Oct 29, 2010
Cabarete
Reactions: Carl.L

Garyexpat

Bronze
Sep 7, 2012
Why would I comment on Colombia when I live in 🇩🇴 ❓
I do not have an opinion on the curfews here one way or the other.
I am tired of them and I do not like what they are doing to businesses.
But I live here and follow the law.
And no one in DRGOV has asked my opinion.

As for asking for a comment:
I have friends that goto Colombia because of the curfew here in 🇩🇴.
Others come to 🇩🇴 and make it work for them.
Does not prove a thing other than we all have personal preferences.
My point was that curfews do not work. If a 24/7 curfew doesn't work how can a, 5 p.m or 7 p.m. curfew work. That was what I was addressing.

Reactions: Big

Garyexpat

Bronze
Sep 7, 2012
OFF TOPIC but I'll bite ;)

Colombia has sh!t the bed and the DR is doing above average

COVID-19 pandemic death rates by country - Wikipedia
Colombia
Total cases Deaths Fatality rate Deaths per 100,000
2,217,00158,5112.6%117.85

Dominican Republic
233,5983,0241.3%28.46

You can consult the link for all countries. There are "thousands" of other site if you don't like mine. None that I saw that refute my point or support yours. Suerte ;)
Yes I am sure that there are no other factors at work here just the curfew in D.R. Forget the fact that there are still 6 or 7 people riding in Conchos and vans all of the country every single day, no social distancing or wearing of masks on the beach (I was on Sosua beach about 1 1/2 months ago and it was business as usual), throwing hundreds of thousands of people in tight confined spaces when out after curfew and on and on.
So I guess it goes back to the case of "as long as it happens BEFORE the curfew it doesn't spread".

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009

Someone else can do the math on this -

But we seem to have agreed -

Deaths are over reported worldwide
Cases are under reported worldwide

Where does that put us !!???
Huh??

USA DOC

Bronze
Feb 20, 2016
Also, remember this. DR gave people $1500RD, ONE TIME. Thats it? No other help. Nada.

We got stimulus checks, more food stamp help, rent help, etc....

But DR doesn't do anything esp. one time $1500RD? You must be kidding me.
I have been given stimulus checks for just being here....

Reactions: NanSanPedro
Status
Not open for further replies.