whats going on in La Ciénaga today???

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
It should be fairly easy for any investigative reporter to check on the title of that small parcel, sales that occurred, and who the seller was.
When the sales were a piece of paper drawn up on the spot and the money pocketed in the back pocket of the "seller" , I still say it is hard to trace such a sale with no public record of it happening. Remember, with respect to La Cienaga we are talking about illegal sales of public land. You cannot look those sales up in Puerto Plata land offices.

cavok

Silver
Jun 16, 2014
Cabarete
When the sales were a piece of paper drawn up on the spot and the money pocketed in the back pocket of the "seller" , I still say it is hard to trace such a sale with no public record of it happening.
I'd say you're right. There's probably no proof those lots were ever purchased.

Reactions: windeguy

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
It should be fairly easy for any investigative reporter to check on the title of that small parcel, sales that occurred, and who the seller was.
Assuming a legal title was reg'd...... which I doubt....

this is a scam... pure & simple - $$ but no ownership
Duping the poor & uneducated.... by a person in authority

Reactions: NanSanPedro

cavok

Silver
Jun 16, 2014
Cabarete
Assuming a legal title was reg'd...... which I doubt....

this is a scam... pure & simple - $$ but no ownership
Duping the poor & uneducated.... by a person in authority
That's probably the case and verifying that no new titles were registered on the parcel in question would prove it. Either that, or those people were squatters plain and simple. One would think that these people would at least have some bogus bill of sale showing who "sold" them the property(?).

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
Can't sell land you don't own.... plain & simple......

But - as we all know - done here all too frequently................

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
That's my understanding, too. Not very convenient to get one when you suddenly decide to sell. Not many buyers are going to wait for that to be done.
They can be sold once without a deslinde. Not that I’d ever buy one without one. As far as sales, my inlaws sold a large home in Las Praderas (Santo Domingo), and the sales agreement allowed the buyers to keep a large percentage of the monies in escrow pending the deslinde. About 2 years have passed. 😳

Reactions: cavok

chico bill

Dogs Better than People
May 6, 2016
Definitely not easy to do since most of the "surveys" for the lots in particular, as well as most of La Cienaga and El Choco National park are probably done by "meets and bounds", but any surveyor should be able to do it. They have to do it all the time.
It's metes and bounds and is antiquated and really a running dialog of description.
As a licensed engineer and a licensed surveyor in the US, I have met some crews in DR that are plenty of capable people with modern GPS and total stations that can establish corners precisely.
Yes the research is often more work than the field work (and important) to establish a final parcel map and can involve accepting some previously physical and occupied established boundaries which may mean a property owner could lose a portion of the property the records might show they 'own'.

Reactions: cavok

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
That's my understanding, too. Not very convenient to get one when you suddenly decide to sell. Not many buyers are going to wait for that to be done.
But why spend the money on a deslinda until you are going to sell? In the chance you might one day? No thanks on that.

I suspect there are almost no deslindas close to the swamp in La Cienaga and virtually none are even possible to get.
How can one get a deslinda on public land?

cavok

Silver
Jun 16, 2014
Cabarete
But why spend the money on a deslinda until you are going to sell? In the chance you might one day? No thanks on that.

I suspect there are almost no deslindas close to the swamp in La Cienaga and virtually none are even possible to get.
How can one get a deslinda on public land?
One just has to keep in mind that, if and when you do sell, it could take 6 months or longer to get one. Not all buyers would be willing to wait that long to close on a deal.

I don't see any way one could get a deslinde on public land and many owners of property in barrios like La Cienaga and the Callejon would be hard pressed to afford one.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
Right- having the deslinde speeds up the deal

Plus - it confirms you are the owner.......peace of mind for you & a necessity for the buyer

After all , that's what we're talking about - no true ownership
That happens here - in this country - to many an innocent foreign buyer

cavok

Silver
Jun 16, 2014
Cabarete
Also, if you have any doubts about exactly how much property you own, it would be best to resolve that now. If a dispute comes up during the deslinde process, it could take a very long time as it winds it's way through notoriously slow land courts.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
Also, if you have any doubts about exactly how much property you own, it would be best to resolve that now. If a dispute comes up during the deslinde process, it could take a very long time as it winds it's way through notoriously slow land courts.
Some things are better left unknown.

Russell

Jun 17, 2017
This is in the courts here in LaSabana .. the majority of the community along the roads wad expropriated from a family to be given to yhe poor.... it is alleged that the government did not pay the landowner... it is also alleged that the defendants did not have title to the land in the first place.
So even though the issue is in the courts there are folk finishing their homes regardless. But a year or so ago there were some very serious demonstrations happening here.
There is some serious issues happening here and it is far from over.
Always sad when poor people get tramped upon for the sake of politics and money...

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
La Paz (Ciénaga) sector of Cabarete still continues the tension and depression and impotence of many people who see everything around them collapse and when they see a group of guards dressed in green with long weapons in the terrorist style eager to fulfill an order Without thinking about the damage they do to many poor people without a home to sleep in, with their children, I mean the houses they have ready to destroy, just because they are on the banks of the canal, not within The lagoon, is this FAIR, tell me, Mr. Minister of the environment RD Orlando Gorje Mera?
Meanwhile back in La Cienaga.

Big

Apr 24, 2019
oh yes, an "excavator" doing what it does best. Good footage and article.

drstock

Silver
Oct 29, 2010
Cabarete
They are saying they want the houses "this side of the canal" protected from being demolished but I wouldn't be surprised if they have diverted the canal to give them land to build on. That's exactly what they did at Barrio Blanco, where over the years I have seen the canal there moving and the houses getting closer to mine, which is on the other side of the lagoon.