Santiago city council approves ban on single-use plastics

Dolores

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 20, 2019
Jose-Torres-Santiago-El-Caribe-e1613998033330.jpg

Santiago City Council member Jose Torres introduced a motion for Santiago’s city to be the first in the Dominican Republic to ban single-use plastics. This refers to items such as straws and food containers. The motion was approved.

The councilman noted that the alliance between the city of Santiago and Cilpen Global, the first recycling company in the area, has shown great progress. The company is now processing some 18 million plastic water bottles per month.

Torres also noted that the water bottles used in the city council meetings would take 250 four year terms of city council meeting to disintegrate. It might be worth noting that Councilman Torres is the youngest member of the City Council.

Read more in Spanish:El Caribe...

[url=https://dr1.com/wordpress/2021/02/22/santiago-city-council-approves-ban-on-single-use-plastics/]Continue reading...

Last edited:

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
Is this the last straw? And just for Santiago?

How will this happen? No more Fanta in plastic bottles?

PICHARDO

One Dominican at a time, please!
May 15, 2003
Santiago de Los 30 Caballeros
Is this the last straw? And just for Santiago?

How will this happen? No more Fanta in plastic bottles?

Mainly stuff not meant to be recycled.
Like plastic straws, food holders, etc...
Shopping bags will eventually be banned as well. So start getting used to multi-use bags you’ll bring with you to shop for groceries.

Stores selling goods not associated with groceries will be pushed to paper bags.

Reactions: Russell

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
Mainly stuff not meant to be recycled.
Like plastic straws, food holders, etc...
Shopping bags will eventually be banned as well. So start getting used to multi-use bags you’ll bring with you to shop for groceries.

Stores selling goods not associated with groceries will be pushed to paper bags.
Good thing I don't live in Santiago.

CristoRey

Welcome To Wonderland
Apr 1, 2014
This is fantastic news and I've zero doubt it will go down like a lead brick in the ocean. Every single street vender, colmado y comedor here in Santiago uses single use plastics.

What's next?
Let me guess, windmills at the monument or maybe battery powered conchos,?

JD Jones

Moderator:North Coast,Santo Domingo,SW Coast,Covid
Jan 7, 2016
This is fantastic news and I've zero doubt it will go down like a lead brick in the ocean. Every single street vender, colmado y comedor here in Santiago uses single use plastics.

What's next?
I agree. Nice start, very little will change.

Then again, I don't see many street vendors using plastic anymore; most use white paper bags. Many of the convenience stores at gas stations (read corporate) switched to paper long ago.

A store near my business sells sandwiches wrapped in paper and dropped in a kraft paper bag like big supermarkets used long ago before plastic came along.

For the rest of the street vendors, they'll switch to paper once the plastic isn't available anymore and add 5 pesos to the price of their wares.

All except the fruit sellers. It will be interesting to see what they do.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
There are recyclable products made from sugar cane refuse...... might work here

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004

What's next?
No, what's next is a cashless society along with smart guns.

They did build a Metro in Santo Domingo. Perhaps Santiago could get a Metro and get rid of those farking M Cars?

Is there a local maker of paper straws? People are always asking about job opportunities and businesses to start.

CristoRey

Welcome To Wonderland
Apr 1, 2014
No, what's next is a cashless society along with smart guns.

They did build a Metro in Santo Domingo. Perhaps Santiago could get a Metro and get rid of those farking M Cars?

Is there a local maker of paper straws? People are always asking about job opportunities and businesses to start.
Neither of us will live long enough to see the DR go cashless and smart guns require smart police so we know
that's never gonna happen. I would love to have a metro here in Santiago. Paper straw business? Why didn't
someone think of this sooner? Instead of opening my dream (bar) shack somewhere on Playa Sosua next year
so I can live out the rest of my days on a bar stool perhaps I will sell everything I own now and invest in the paper straw business.
Heck, I can even set it up in the Zona Franca so I can employ few more unwed mothers at RD$3,100 / 50 hours per week.
Your thoughts?

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
Neither of us will live long enough to see the DR go cashless and smart guns require smart police so we know
that's never gonna happen. I would love to have a metro here in Santiago. Paper straw business? Why didn't
someone think of this sooner? Instead of opening my dream (bar) shack somewhere on Playa Sosua next year
so I can live out the rest of my days on a bar stool perhaps I will sell everything I own now and invest in the paper straw business.
Heck, I can even set it up in the Zona Franca so I can employ few more unwed mothers at RD$3,100 / 50 hours per week.
Your thoughts?
I would never recommend to anyone to come to the DR to run a business. But people do still ask.

I still don't understand how one city like Santiago is going to do this and make plastic one use items go away.

drstock

Silver
Oct 29, 2010
Cabarete
I never understand why they insist on giving us straws with drinks anyway. If the glasses are so dirty you shouldn't touch them with your lips, they are too dirty to hold drinks.

Reactions: Russell

CristoRey

Welcome To Wonderland
Apr 1, 2014
I never understand why they insist on giving us straws with drinks anyway. If the glasses are so dirty you shouldn't touch them with your lips, they are too dirty to hold drinks.
Hence all the plastic cups.

Russell

Jun 17, 2017
It’s a bad habit I developed needing a plastic cup to enjoy beer
Plastic cups ca, be used many times during a sitting for same person...so not single use.
Water and beverage bottles are not single use items.
They are pure PET no other chemicals and can easily be recycled into building materials and diesel fuel. So not single use plAstics. Stryofoam lunch packets should be replaced with single ply cardboard .. even though Styrofoam is also recyclable for light weight concrete blocks and panels..
It is easier to BAN than invest in a future with recycled plastic.
I do not need to provide a link for this response because We have already done this.